Page 20 of 316 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Ridley Scott's Final Cut >>> Roger Waters' Final Cut
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

except one is better than what came before and one is worse than what came before
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Just watched "Mama", a nice creepy horror film that used a lot of the usual scares from the bag of tricks but managed to do so quite effectively I thought.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I liked Mama up until the cheeseball ending.

I watched the remake of Mother's Day a few nights ago. For me nothing can compare to the lame, low budget, backwoods charm of the slasher original, but this was an ok thriller. Seems to be a popular type of horror film these days with the whole homejacking and terrorizing thing. Gettin' a little bored with it actually. Regardless, I'd check it out if you liked The Strangers or the remake of Last House on the Left. Rebecca DeMornay was fuckin' outstanding.

6 out of 10 melted ears.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I liked Mama up until the cheeseball ending.
    every Horror flick is cheeseball to me... part of why I never waste my time with Horror flicks
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    every Horror flick is cheeseball to me... part of why I never waste my time with Horror flicks
    Like any other genre of art, there are good examples and bad examples. I'm not the biggest horror fan, but there's no doubt that some are better than others.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Like any other genre of art, there are good examples and bad examples. I'm not the biggest horror fan, but there's no doubt that some are better than others.
    well... if Alien counts as "Horror" then that's the exeption

"In space, no one can hear you scream"

Translation: I'm still afraid of the dark.

Nothing quite like a good horror movie as far as I'm concerned. Especially this time of year.

Nothing quite like a good horror movie as far as I'm concerned. Especially this time of year.
    Well said sir! Speaking of which, I just finished watching 'American Mary'. Recommended for fans of the genre.
    A med school surgeon student finds some unique ways of extracting revenge .

In total agreement!

I saw a very well done English horror tonight called Eden Lake.

Very brutal, dark & disturbing.

I highly recommend it!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

funny... fact is, in my 20s and 30s I used to waste hours upon hours of my life watching all that cheeseball stuff but now I see it for what it is, a waste of time. There are just too many truly great movies to see from the 30s-50s which I have never seen before. I need to see all the greats before I go back to viewing dumb stuff again.

I have to agree with the above. I also watched anything for a scare but found that even though many of the recent offerings were well crafted they were very much the same and targeted an adolesent audiance. As I age I care less for teenagers in trouble stories and Im less tolerant of constant rehashing of the same themes. Not to say I've abandoned the horror flic completly,if something looks good and differant, and aimed at an age level above 14 I'll give it a shot. 2010's Let Me In was very good and had some good scares. But the Scream, JeeperCreeper, bunch I avoid. Its like eating cotton candy when your hungry. You eat you chew you have nothing in the end.
    And as Mysterious Traveller notes, theres a huge trove of movies from the classic era to be mined. Films that rely on plot,dialoge , to keep interest, rather than blowing things up real good. That era had more than thier share of masters of the craft. So many good flicks.....

funny... fact is, in my 20s and 30s I used to waste hours upon hours of my life watching all that cheeseball stuff but now I see it for what it is, a waste of time. There are just too many truly great movies to see from the 30s-50s which I have never seen before. I need to see all the greats before I go back to viewing dumb stuff again.
    Man, you're just to cool for school aint ya? One day I'll grow up to be like you, but until then, I'll happily continue my 40's wasting my time with the dumb, cheeseball stuff. It's exhilarating!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

I saw a very well done English horror tonight called Eden Lake.

Very brutal, dark & disturbing.
    I watched that one a while back... yeah, pretty dark. Another one I found disturbing in a similar way was "Funny Games".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"I saw a very well done English horror tonight called Eden Lake."

I will second this. Well worth watching.

While we are on the subject of scary movies: here is a shameless plug for the new flick of my favourite Dutch director Alex van Warmerdams - Borgman.

Borgman is the Dutch nominee for the Oscars and the first Dutch movie in 38 years to star at the Cannes festival. I dunno if it is shown already abroad but I guess the art-house cinemas world wide will pick this up.

Van Warmerdam always uses a lot of surrealism in his movies but it never got as dark and creepy as in this one. The movie starts with a homeless guy (Borgman) who rings at the door of a villa and asks for a bath. The man of the house beats him up, but the wife feels sorry for him and takes him in. Slowly Borgman starts taking over the family. Things get pretty ugly and scary but also very funny at times. There is an 'underwater scene' which is extremely funny and macabre at the same time. I will not spoil the scene but the movie is worth the price of admission for this scene alone.

Van Warmerdam always writes his scripts as he goes along and at the end of the movie he looks to get a little bit lost himself. The rest of the movie is so wierd, funny and original that i can live with this slightly weaker ending.

What I particulary like about this movie: the complete lack of morality and the lack of explanation of Borgman motives. We are just left to guess what drives Borgman and his sinister gang. That’s a good thing: nothing is as scary as the evil we don’t understand.

If you want to see something truly original and can stand some surrealistic humor go and see this movie! If you want to see a fomularic hollywood flick: avoid.

Here's a link to the trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_Xq7goDUA
    Last edited by thedunno; 09-24-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I watched that one a while back... yeah, pretty dark. Another one I found disturbing in a similar way was "Funny Games".
    I don't think I've ever hated a movie more. It's bad enough seeing innocent people get tortured and murdered, but then letting the bad guys walk away scot free at the end with no consequences or remorse? I understand that the film was supposed to be a statement about gratuitous violence in movies, but it ended up feeling more like it was embracing that than protesting it. It took me two days to shake off the gloom that movie left me with.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    It's bad enough seeing innocent people get tortured and murdered...
    the entire reason I've long outgrown the Horror genre. I have no need to see people sliced and diced and gored to be "exhilarated". I can get plenty of exhilaration from SciFi. Speaking of which, just saw the miniseries 5ive Days to Midnight and enjoyed it... interesting story with plenty of exhilaration!

On deck for tonight, a classic I've never seen... Random Harvest

the entire reason I've long outgrown the Horror genre. I have no need to see people sliced and diced and gored to be "exhilarated".
    Hey wise ass, did I say anything about "sliced, diced and gored" when I said "exhilarated?" I don't think so. You mention Alien earlier. One of my favorites. Creepy atmosphere, frightning and claustrophobic as hell. That's the type of horror film I find exhilarating and there's plenty of them out there in the genre. I don't need gore. I just enjoy getting scared. Gets my blood pumpin! Though a well done, creative, decapitation is always enjoyable.

I like the old school horror movies best. My wife will watch anything under the horror label but I'm pickier. I love it when October rolls around and channels like TCM or AMC start running the classics. I can't stand the torture stuff like Hostel or the home invasion movies, but if there's a supernatural element I can watch it. Or say, Cabin in the Woods, which is so meta I can watch it again and again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hey wise ass, did I say anything about "sliced, diced and gored" when I said "exhilarated?" I don't think so. You mention Alien earlier. One of my favorites. Creepy atmosphere, frightning and claustrophobic as hell. That's the type of horror film I find exhilarating and there's plenty of them out there in the genre. I don't need gore. I just enjoy getting scared. Gets my blood pumpin! Though a well done, creative, decapitation is always enjoyable.
    Why is it you cant make a point without throwing insults around?

Oh quit being all sensitive. I called him a wiseass because he is. Big deal.

Halloween fans should check this one out. It's a fun flick that tackles traditions and some of the lore of the holiday. We watch it every year in October...

Anyone have seen Rush or Prisoners yet?

Oh quit being all sensitive. I called him a wiseass because ...
    the Jersey Gnats ROOL and the Dallas Cowboys SUCK

there, fixed that for ya

see Steve, we have a history

BTW, I'm also born and raised in NYC