Page 209 of 316 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259309 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,225 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Just as an FYI, but Westoworld wasn't based on a book. It was an original Screenplay by Crichton, who also Directed.

The show was fantastic.
    There was a book, but it was written after the movie, and basically based on the screenplay. I remember buying it back in the day, but don’t remember if there were any details that were not in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    There was a book, but it was written after the movie, and basically based on the screenplay. I remember buying it back in the day, but don’t remember if there were any details that were not in the movie.
    That sounds like the standard movie tie-in novelisation that is often released in paperback as part of the merchandising.

But I agree with you about the cinematic quality of the series, it did indeed look very impressive.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We have reached the point where every movie you have seen has been made into a TV series, and every TV series you have seen is being made into a movie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Guest

First off if you're into 80's style and loved the score to Stranger Things you'll be sucked in. The movie is about a stranger who claims to be a soldier that comes to the home of a family who's son was killed in action. Says he was a good friend so they take him in. After that shit gets strange and it becomes a pretty interesting thrill ride! At least I thought so. Great performance by the lead guy as well as all around. The first half was flat out awesome...had me glued. Second half, while I was still glued, it was a little weaker and all over the place. Totally entertaining and mysterious 80's style thriller with some humor tossed in the mix. Give it a whirl...it's pretty cool!

8 out of 10 movies Paulie, Lou and SteveSly should check out.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Guest

First off if you're into 80's style and loved the score to Stranger Things you'll be sucked in. The movie is about a stranger who claims to be a soldier that comes to the home of a family who's son was killed in action. Says he was a good friend so they take him in. After that shit gets strange and it becomes a pretty interesting thrill ride! At least I thought so. Great performance by the lead guy as well as all around. The first half was flat out awesome...had me glued. Second half, while I was still glued, it was a little weaker and all over the place. Totally entertaining and mysterious 80's style thriller with some humor tossed in the mix. Give it a whirl...it's pretty cool!

A BIG YES INDEEDY! Great flick!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Oscar nominations for Best Picture:

Arrival
    Fences
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Hell or High Water
    Hidden Figures
    La La Land
    Lion
    Manchester By the Sea
    Moonlight

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Oscar nominations for Best Picture:

Arrival
    Fences
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Hell or High Water
    Hidden Figures
    La La Land
    Lion
    Manchester By the Sea
    Moonlight
    I'll play dumbass film critic writer.

Will win: La La Land
    Should Win: either Manchester or Moonlight
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Watched one last night that I had missed ten years ago. Atonement, which was a good story and well shot, with solid performances all 'round. Enjoyed it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I could see La La Land winning. There's an older, conservative voting block in the Academy that prefers old school movies over anything else. That's what gave Chicago an undeserved Best Picture win.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Anyone seen the new M. Night Shayamalan flick yet? The wife wants to go see it this weekend. He has been in a rut his last few films, but this one is getting mostly positive reviews.

The Guest

Saw this awhile back and enjoyed it!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Anyone seen the new M. Night Shayamalan flick yet? The wife wants to go see it this weekend. He has been in a rut his last few films, but this one is getting mostly positive reviews.
    I saw it Sunday and thought it was good (I admit that I've liked some of M. Night's past work... not all). James McAvoy was pretty amazing doing all those roles.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    The Guest

I'm on it.

M. Night Shayamalan...He has been in a rut his last few films...
    I thought The Visit was very solid with plenty of chills and some good laughs along the way too.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Picture Oscar? I've only seen The Arrival and Hell or High Water so out of those, HoHW gets my vote. Another musical? Fuck me.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    HoHW was superb, hope it does well.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - never saw it, and picked up a copy very cheap. Figured I should watch it at least once. I am always fascinated by flops like this, and sometimes they never seem quite as bad as they were considered, in retrospect.

But this clearly is...bad.

I mean, the whole idea is misconceived. Why would the Beatles have ever allowed their property to be used in this way? Did they sign the rights away or something?

In the majority of cases, the reworking of the musical numbers is abysmal. Only EWF and Aerosmith come off with any dignity musically. Frankie Howerd just looks totally bemused, and George Burns is embarrassing.

I get that the Bee Gee's were considered hot property at the time, and Frampton to a degree...but they clearly are not actors, and its probably wise they their dialogue was not used.

The plot was just plain stupid (actually reminded me a little of Todd Rundgren's Ra concept), and I could have cheerfully set fire to those two stupid robot ladies. Of course this was during the early video game era, and bright, cartoony graphics were all the rage.

Very poor on every level, and deserving of its reputation.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

There isn't a cell in my body that cares who wins what award. Stuffy crap it all is.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

A year or so late, but I watched the Tower Records documentary last night. It's really excellent.

Got around to watching the horror flick It Follows on Netflix last weekend.

I loved it!

Every shot was beautifully framed with perfect lighting.
    Acting was excellent
    Moody synth music soundtrack that conjured up 70s/80s horror
    Creepy as hell , with Halloween, Night of the Living Dead as obvious influences.

If you liked Stranger Things , then you should love this one.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I'm on it.

I thought The Visit was very solid with plenty of chills and some good laughs along the way too.
    Have not seen that one. I will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
    I've always wondered if it's easier to make a BAD movie than a GOOD movie...

But sometimes, honestly? It seems as if a "BAD movie" was what the director intended. There's no other explanation for some of the choices made. It's like "The Producers," y'know???

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Picture Oscar? I've only seen The Arrival and Hell or High Water so out of those, HoHW gets my vote. Another musical? Fuck me.
    Well, I've seen 'em all and "Hell Or High Water" is my favorite too. Action, comedy, blood, it had it all! But, "La La Land" was excellent, in a "West Side Story" kinda way and will probably get the Best Picture statue as will Emma Stone for her leading lady role. "The Arrival" bored me to tears, and then it was over. No wins there. "Manchester By The Sea" was very good, then it too seemed to just end quickly, so I don't think it wins and neither will Casey get the Best Actor Oscar for his work in it. Denzel in "Fences" deserves that. He was dealing with a ton of dialogue the entire flick and went through a wide range of emotions as well. "Moonlight", the "Boyz In The Hood Of Brokeback Mountain" picture won't win but Golden Globes Best Director winner, Barry Jenkins did a marvelous job and will get the Best Director statue here too. Hollywood hates Mel Gibson, so "Hacksaw Ridge", quite good & quite bloody gets nothing. I hope Octavia Spencer wins the Best Supporting prize for her great work in "Hidden Figures" and the kid, Dev Patel wins in his Supporting category for "Lion". Also, both movies were wonderful and seemed to zip on by as I watched them. Surprised that Scorcese's "Silence" and "Captain Fantastic" weren't nominated. Classic brilliance by Marty and "Captain Fantastic", besides being my favorite Elton John album (nothing to do with each other) was a ton of fun in a "Boyhood" + "Into The Wild" sort of way. "Zootopia" was my favorite cartoon, err...Best Animated Picture and I hope it wins here to go with it's Golden Globes victory.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Surprised that Scorcese's "Silence" and "Captain Fantastic" weren't nominated.
    Viggo Mortensen did get a Best Actor nomination for Captain Fantastic
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    But, "La La Land" was excellent, in a "West Side Story" kinda way and will probably get the Best Picture statue as will Emma Stone for her leading lady role. "The Arrival" bored me to tears, and then it was over. No wins there. "Manchester By The Sea" was very good, then it too seemed to just end quickly, so I don't think it wins and neither will Casey get the Best Actor Oscar for his work in it. Denzel in "Fences" deserves that. He was dealing with a ton of dialogue the entire flick and went through a wide range of emotions as well. "Moonlight", the "Boyz In The Hood Of Brokeback Mountain" picture won't win but Golden Globes Best Director winner, Barry Jenkins did a marvelous job and will get the Best Director statue here too. Hollywood hates Mel Gibson, so "Hacksaw Ridge", quite good & quite bloody gets nothing. I hope Octavia Spencer wins the Best Supporting prize for her great work in "Hidden Figures" and the kid, Dev Patel wins in his Supporting category for "Lion". Also, both movies were wonderful and seemed to zip on by as I watched them.
    I'm All In on "La La Land," which I think is the best picture of the last five or so years. Gosling and Stone have some fierce competition. Viola Davis should get—and deserves—Best Supporting Actress, and I really hope Dev Patel wins Best Supporting Actor (don't know how he is a supporting actor; was hoping the kid who played his character as a young boy would get a supporting nod).

Two songs from "La La.." earned nominations. I hope Emma's song wins.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

There isn't a cell in my body that cares who wins what award. Stuffy crap it all is.
    Completely agree.

In my younger days I used to watch them, would stay up all night to watch the Oscars with friends.

Now there seem to be so many more awards ceremonies, its like they keep coming up with new ones, nothing more than shameless promotion.

The reality is it should not matter or affect your enjoyment of the movie if it wins awards or not. If you love a movie that wins nothing, it does not affect your enjoyment of that movie. Expressing disappointment is just stupid.

Conversely, if a movie does not appeal to me personally, no amount of awards it gets showered with is going to persuade me to see it.

I will bend slightly and say that yes, it is nice when a performance, movie or other aspect of a movie you have really enjoyed gets recognized. But that's as far as it goes.