Page 203 of 316 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303 ... LastLast
Results 5,051 to 5,075 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I never go to the theater and rarely watch movies at all... I did just watch The Revenant on Netflix over the weekend. Pretty brutal flick (if a little farfetched at times). The cinematography is spectacular!
    That one would have been a good one to see in a theater. We did and I agree the cinematography was really outstanding.

I just watched The Revenant last week and I agree it was very impressive indeed. I never knew that there was that much snow in Argentina.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It really feels like a psuedo-reboot, like The Force Awakens.
    A joke my daughter showed me the other day:

Why do Star Wars episodes 1, 2, and 3 come after episodes 4, 5, and 6?

Because in charge of scheduling, Yoda was.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Can't wait to get the bills, but the surgery itself so far doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Back on topic, I tried a couple of Netflix series after Stranger Things, with no success. Got through 2 episodes of Making a Killer, and was bored.
    Same thing with Narcos. So, its back to strictly movies.Going to try and watch the 7 Star Wars movies in order. I haven't seen the prequels, or the
    latest one yet.
    You might like "How To Get Away With Murder" ...currently binge watching and it's very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watching the Present - Barbaro DVD from RIO in 2007, this may be my favorite dvd.
    Absolutely brilliant.

I Am Not A Serial Killer--small independent film, but pretty decent for such a low budget.

Hell or High Water--Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine, etc. in a modern day western about bank robbers. I enjoyed it.

Green Room from 2015. Netflix rental. Punk band plays Neo nazi venue. Things go way wrong. Great film. Intense. Patrick Stewart, Anton Yelchin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Green Mile. Not the masterpeice of the same director's Shawshank Redemption but still a fine movie. Interesting story, great character development, serious theme but done with humour.

We watched The Danish Girl a few nights ago. I understand the film took substantial liberties with the real story and the trans community was a little pissy about a straight guy playing the title role but damn this is a beautiful movie. Superb acting by the leads and with cinematography and sets to die for. My wife wept for a good fifteen-twenty minutes afterwards.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Don't Breath: Enjoyable popcorn flick with decent tension and some pretty graphic brutality. Disappointed with the very sloppy handling of the twist, however, as they really could have easily milked the setup for a bit longer (shut-in disabled vet grieving from the loss of his daughter being home-invaded by a threesome of douchebag millennials). Still, not a horrible way to spend 88 minutes on a Saturday evening. 7.5 out of 10 turkey basters.

Morgan: Luke (Son of Ridley) Scott directed this beautifully unexpected little semi-sifi gem with a gangbuster cast (most played like extended cameos - the always superb Paul Giamatti, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Brian Cox), which included the excellent Kate Mara and Rose "You know nothing Jon Snew" Leslie. Never heard of it so I went in absolutely cold and enjoyed it very much. Nice slow burn with excellent cinematography and a decent little twist at the end which, thinking back, I probably should have seen coming (kudos to Scott for not telegraphing that one directly to us - see review above). With the Scott connection, it couldn't help but cross my mind that I may have just viewed a sly little prequel to one of his father's most beloved masterpieces. 8.5 out of 10 failed OS upgrades.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Green Room from 2015. Netflix rental. Punk band plays Neo nazi venue. Things go way wrong. Great film. Intense. Patrick Stewart, Anton Yelchin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I watched it but don't remember almost anything of it. The same director made Blue Ruin which was a couple inches better.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I this is a ...film surrounding a serial killer and an officer.
    Funny how this has become a genre of film. I guess I blame Dirty Harry?

We watched The Revenant last night. It didn't work for me because of all the radical departures from Hugh Glass's actual story*. There's no denying the power of Iñárritu's directing or the actors performance (though the dialog was so ridiculously far from the way mountain men talked it was ridiculous - there were a lot of derogatory names for Indians but the one they used was laughable.). I've watched a string of movies now "based on true events" and I am thoroughly fed up with Hollywood's penchant for mutilating history to tell a story. Every single fucking time there's some inane deviation just because the writers and director think it would work better.

[*Hugh Glass was never married to a Native American nor had a son by her. The bear attack happened on the plains of South Dakota, not up in the WY/MT Rockies. It happened in the summer, not the winter. Glass indeed forgave Bridger but did not kill Fitzgerald because the later enlisted in the army. Glass has savvy enough to realize he shouldn't kill a US soldier so he took back his rifle and was awarded $300 (a small fortune back then) by the fur trading company. Glass pulled himself across 200 miles of prairie, living off roots and berries while letting maggots eat at the dead flesh from his wounds to avoid gangrene. He was one tough sonovabitch. Bridger went on to be one of the most famous mountain men/explorers - now there's another big story.]
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I suppose we should discuss this

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We watched The Revenant last night. It didn't work for me because of all the radical departures from Hugh Glass's actual story*. There's no denying the power of Iñárritu's directing or the actors performance (though the dialog was so ridiculously far from the way mountain men talked it was ridiculous - there were a lot of derogatory names for Indians but the one they used was laughable.). I've watched a string of movies now "based on true events" and I am thoroughly fed up with Hollywood's penchant for mutilating history to tell a story. Every single fucking time there's some inane deviation just because the writers and director think it would work better.

[*Hugh Glass was never married to a Native American nor had a son by her. The bear attack happened on the plains of South Dakota, not up in the WY/MT Rockies. It happened in the summer, not the winter. Glass indeed forgave Bridger but did not kill Fitzgerald because the later enlisted in the army. Glass has savvy enough to realize he shouldn't kill a US soldier so he took back his rifle and was awarded $300 (a small fortune back then) by the fur trading company. Glass pulled himself across 200 miles of prairie, living off roots and berries while letting maggots eat at the dead flesh from his wounds to avoid gangrene. He was one tough sonovabitch. Bridger went on to be one of the most famous mountain men/explorers - now there's another big story.]

Good review and info. Which begs the question, is it better to watch a movie or read its source material first? Given the choice I would opt for the movie first , then if I wish more then the source material.

I generally watch the movie first too. If nothing else it avoids spoiling the plot. Then I read about the source material. I was somewhat familiar with Glass because we're only about 50 miles from where he died (a decade after the grizzly attack), near Fort Union, a trading post on the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers. There's a handful of trading/trapping reenactors around here.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest--good movie

I suppose we should discuss this

I've posted about this film here several times but my guess is a lot of people think it shouldn't be made in the first place.

I follow the developments of this all the time. This must be new as I hadn't seen it. The net should be full of it by now.

Some of this teaser looks good, some of it feels like a bland blockbuster.

It all depends if they manage to create that intimate feel that the first film had. As it's not a blockbuster. It's silence, score and feel more than anything.

After seeing this teaser it doesn't convince me that Gosling is the right choice for this role. They should've went for Mcconehey instead.

It all depends if they manage to create that intimate feel that the first film had. As it's not a blockbuster. It's silence, score and feel more than anything.
    Agreed. The original was not a "to save the world they must.." story. Gosling's line about "things were simpler then" implies a bigger story which is not necessarily a better thing. In terms of acting, I think Gosling can bring it. He was great in Drive. McConaughey would be interesting. He can do the slow burn roles pretty well but I assume he was busy with The Dark Tower film.

Agreed. The original was not a "to save the world they must.." story. Gosling's line about "things were simpler then" implies a bigger story which is not necessarily a better thing. In terms of acting, I think Gosling can bring it. He was great in Drive. McConaughey would be interesting. He can do the slow burn roles pretty well but I assume he was busy with The Dark Tower film.
    I just read a few reactions on the net. Most are praising it for being authentic/true to the originals look and feel. I didn't exactly get that from this teaser. The night scenes look more like the segment of Cloud Atlas which had that BR inspired story. And that variation on the BR theme at the end of the teaser sounds like something from the loud Zimmer score from Interstellar.

BUT...It's only a teaser. So far it's the only thing which it can be judged by.

The only scene which I really like from this footage is the moment Gosling walks into that house. Between the scenes when he walks the stairs and when he touches the piano. The middle scene between those - when he enters the house - love it.

I definitely agree with you about the simpler things line - it feels cliche at this point. We've seen it all before with sequels and how they try to find excuses for changing things.

I don't even know if they offered this to anyone but Gosling. Mcconaughey was just first who came into my mind. But I highly doubt there's a single actor here who'll bring on board a performance that's as good as Hauers was. It was enough for him to appear on screen without even doing anything.

But in the end - let's wait and see. It could be good.

The original Blade Runner is one of my favourite all time movies. Scott did an excellent job of depicting a dystopian future with amazing special effects for the time. The character development was also very done and the story was interesting. I wonder where they are drawing the script from this time. It's encouraging that Ridley Scott is again directing -- he's done strong releases in recent years. I'm also glad to see Harrison Ford returns. I'm guardedly optimistic about the new Blade Runner but it will have to be an amazing film to even remotely approach the original.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The original Blade Runner is one of my favourite all time movies. Scott did an excellent job of depicting a dystopian future with amazing special effects for the time. The character development was also very done and the story was interesting. I wonder where they are drawing the script from this time. It's encouraging that Ridley Scott is again directing -- he's done strong releases in recent years. I'm also glad to see Harrison Ford returns. I'm guardedly optimistic about the new Blade Runner but it will have to be an amazing film to even remotely approach the original.
    This one is not directed by Scott. Denis Villeneuve is directing it. Everyone is saying that he's awesome. I've no idea as I haven't seen Prisoners, Arrival or his other films. Scott is only a producer. They have Deakins as cinematographer. It will be scored by Johansson who has worked with Villeneuve several times.
    One of the writers is Hampton Fancher who also worked on the first one. I think the other writer was the guy who wrote Green Lantern.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    That Blade Runner ad looks pretty cool. The original was one of my all-time favorite films. Is this new one to be a continuation, rather than a remake, then?

I seldom see movies in theaters these days, but I went to see The Revenant on the big screen. To me, it made a difference, seeing it that way. And the theater sound system was loud. The first gunshot nearly knocked me out of my seat, and I have fired a black powder rifle. I had been familiar with the story of Hugh Glass for decades. The lives of the Mountain Men were prime reading in my youth. The books I read did a better job of conveying the way they talked. (I even met Win Blevins, the author of several such books, and have a signed copy of his "Give Your Heart To The Hawks.") There were several WTF moments when the story veered away from accuracy. Still, the directing, acting, and location filming made it a worthwhile theater viewing. The CGI bear attack was convincing, and impressive. I don't know if I would have liked it more, or less, had I not been so fascinated with the Mountain Men and their unique place in North American history. Or, had I seen it only on the small screen. South America has some incredible Big Sky country. I hope the next time they bring Mountain Men to the big screen, they do so with more accuracy. But until then, this will do. The scenery was a feast for the eyes. I don't envy the actors, going in that icy cold water.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    This one is not directed by Scott. Denis Villeneuve is directing it. Everyone is saying that he's awesome. I've no idea as I haven't seen Prisoners, Arrival or his other films. Scott is only a producer. They have Deakins as cinematographer. It will be scored by Johansson who has worked with Villeneuve several times.
    One of the writers is Hampton Fancher who also worked on the first one. I think the other writer was the guy who wrote Green Lantern.
    That's too bad it's not Scott but I'm glad it's a decent director -- I thought Prisoners was very well done. Also good to hear that they have one original writer.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-20-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Can't say I'm real interested in the new Bladerunner. Loved the original and as with any remake (if thats what it is) I'm hesitant.

Insidious 2 - pretty blah second installment I thought. Handful of cheap scares and a pretty tame storyline. Loved the first one though!

5 out of 10 weak sequels

Dreamscape - couldn't sleep last night and stumbled across this old gem on Showtime. It blew me away as a young'n and it's probably why I still enjoyed it. Very dated effects of course, but I still think the story is pretty cool. I had fun watching this again. David Patrick Kelly is great.

7 out of 10 snakeman nightmares
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak