Page 195 of 316 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205245295 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,875 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I saw Demolition. Excellent acting (Jake Gyllenhaal, Naomi Watts), good story, shitty editing.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I saw Sully earlier today. Eastwood, Hanks, Eckhart & Linney sure made a hell of a movie. My original motivation to go today was to avoid my loveable and very competent cleaning person who comes every 2 weeks. Her only fault is that she's the biggest f*****g chatterbox on the planet.

I picked the perfect time to go. Sitting directly in front of me was an older couple (older than even me). Then another older couple came and had seats just a couple away from the first couple.

I overheard the 1st couple, as they were chatting with the other couple say, "our son Jeff was the co-pilot of that flight & this is the first time we've seen the movie".

Jeff Skiles, Sully's co-pilot, was born & raised in Oregon, WI, a suburb of Madison, and evidently his parents still live there.

After the movie, I told them I had heard them and congratulated them both.

What amazed me (I was as preoccupied watching their reactions as I was to the movie itself) was that they watched the entire movie and never said a word or commented on Aaron Eckhart's portrayal.

What a morning!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Cool story Geez!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I saw Sully earlier today. Eastwood, Hanks, Eckhart & Linney sure made a hell of a movie. My original motivation to go today was to avoid my loveable and very competent cleaning person who comes every 2 weeks. Her only fault is that she's the biggest f*****g chatterbox on the planet.

I picked the perfect time to go. Sitting directly in front of me was an older couple (older than even me). Then another older couple came and had seats just a couple away from the first couple.

I overheard the 1st couple, as they were chatting with the other couple say, "our son Jeff was the co-pilot of that flight & this is the first time we've seen the movie".

Jeff Skiles, Sully's co-pilot, was born & raised in Oregon, WI, a suburb of Madison, and evidently his parents still live there.

What amazed me (I was as preoccupied watching their reactions as I was to the movie itself) was that they watched the entire movie and never said a word or commented on Aaron Eckhart's portrayal.

What a morning!
    Great story. I like those little things in life that make events memorable. We really enjoyed the movie also, saw it on Tuesday.

I just saw Destination: Planet Negro on Amazon this week. Funny, especially the first half. The end got a tad bit "message-y", but still funny.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

What a morning!
    Wow. What a crazy story.

Who would have thought that there would be a couple older than Geez in the same movie theater?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Laurie Anderson's "Heart of a Dog" is being released on disc by Criterion Dec 6.
    This I am preordering.
    https://www.criterion.com/films/28909-heart-of-a-dog
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It was good at Big Ears but I'm not sure how much repeat viewing it would get.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

my brother just turned me on to a mini-series called The Man in the High Castle

it's pretty interesting... kind of a parallel universe thing where the Nazis and Japanese won WWII
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

^That's based on a novel by Philip K. Dick. Never saw the TV show, but I have read many of his books and saw the ones that were made into movies.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I watched "Embrace of the Serpent." It is a long movie, made, I believe, in Colombia, filled with people speaking various languages, with English captions. Takes place in Amazona, and intersperses the travels of two explorers, 30 years apart in the early 20th century, and the tribes they encounter. It is not a travelog. The point is that encounters with the white man have had very negative effects on the native peoples of Amazona, to the point where many tribes have disappeared entirely, the only record of their existence being the journals of the explorers who were complicit in their demise. Also, it's in black and white. I thought it was worth seeing.

Anyone catch this animated Indiana Jones short? I think it does an excellent job of capturing the vibe of the series.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That was really cool. Wonder if it's a preview of something bigger?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Magnificent Seven remake - I liked it.

It will not set the world alight, it won't win any awards, and will have little impact in the grand scheme of things.

But as many will know by now I don't really have an issue with remakes, and am able to put any preconceptions to one side when watching them, and feel no need to compare it to the original.

As a standalone movie, its perfectly watchable. Fuqua is an ok director, though kind of serviceable and workmanlike. His obsession with Washington seems to continue.

Firstly its fairly well put together - the shootouts are visceral and quite brutal at times, and the opening sequence is quite powerful.

The cast are ok - Pratt came across as the most memorable for me, though Ethan Hawke was also a standout. D'Onofrio was ok, kind of a crazed woodsman character, but with a strong sense of honour and dignity. Sarsgard was a little too twirly-moustache for me, too much scenery chewing.

I was also not sure about Washington's backstory being shoehorned into the plot, seemed a little clichéd.

There are a few places where it drags sure, but indeed the same was true of the 1960 version.

But overall its a decent western in its own right, if you can leave your preconceptions at the door.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

I'll be watching the M7 remake on DVD when it comes out. I will pass on the Ben Hur remake in all formats. BH looks like a Fast and Furious movie in sandles.

I saw Sully last night and was really impressed. Wasn't sure what to expect, going in, but they filled the plot out nicely with great use of flashbacks. Tom Hanks, as always, was excellent and I really enjoyed Aaron Eckhart's performance, as well. I had no idea at the time that there was such a concern from the NTSB about how Captain Sullenberger handled that day - I always assumed that he was universally considered to be a hero.

Highly recommended.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I had no idea at the time that there was such a concern from the NTSB about how Captain Sullenberger handled that day - I always assumed that he was universally considered to be a hero.
    He was a universal hero, the NTSB "concern" depicted in the movie is pure Hollywood. The studio claims they altered those scenes because, every story needs a villain.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail
    Good to hear. I am not a huge fan of remakes, but I am a huge fan of Westerns, of which there are few these days. So I will gladly watch the new remake of Magnificent Seven.

BTW, speaking of Westerns (including modern-day ones), "Hell Or High Water" has still not opened at any theater around here.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    He was a universal hero, the NTSB "concern" depicted in the movie is pure Hollywood. The studio claims they altered those scenes because, every story needs a villain.
    Ahh....that makes more sense.

And changes my opinion of the film, somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ahh....that makes more sense.

And changes my opinion of the film, somewhat.
    Sometimes it's best to not learn too much about a movie. I saw a French movie some time ago called Caché. Thought it was brilliant. Read part of an interview with the director. Totally ruined the movie for me.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Well now I've seen a movie with Galafinakis, Owen W., Wiig, McKinnon, Sudeikis and Leslie Jones that's a bad SNL skit (or worse).

Masterminds really sucks.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

It will not set the world alight, it won't win any awards, and will have little impact in the grand scheme of things.

But as many will know by now I don't really have an issue with remakes, and am able to put any preconceptions to one side when watching them, and feel no need to compare it to the original.

As a standalone movie, its perfectly watchable. Fuqua is an ok director, though kind of serviceable and workmanlike. His obsession with Washington seems to continue.

Firstly its fairly well put together - the shootouts are visceral and quite brutal at times, and the opening sequence is quite powerful.

The cast are ok - Pratt came across as the most memorable for me, though Ethan Hawke was also a standout. D'Onofrio was ok, kind of a crazed woodsman character, but with a strong sense of honour and dignity. Sarsgard was a little too twirly-moustache for me, too much scenery chewing.

I was also not sure about Washington's backstory being shoehorned into the plot, seemed a little clichéd.

There are a few places where it drags sure, but indeed the same was true of the 1960 version.

But overall its a decent western in its own right, if you can leave your preconceptions at the door.
    That is really the problem - that it doesn't set the world alight. Even worse is that it will not have an impact in the grand scheme of things. Although I think it's up to the individual viewer.

I haven't seen this one but I agree with you that the 1960 version drags in places.

This is old news, but I just caught up with a 2013 movie by Paolo Sorrentino called "The Great Beauty" (La grande bellezza). It won the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar in 2014.

And well deserved it. Absolutely stunning cinematography, beautiful scenery, every shot a masterful composition. The story concerns a writer, Jep Gambardella, who on the occasion of his 65th birthday begins to re-evaluate his life. It's not so much plot driven, the story doesn't really unfold with any narrative flow. But things happen, Jep comes to several realizations, and the viewer is left with a deep understanding of life.

It's sort-of an updating of La Dolce Vita, although at a much more cerebral level.

Watched The Witch the other night and really enjoyed it.

Perfect for this time of year!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Taeter City--low budget SF horror where Judge Dredd-like police try to prevent crimes before they happen.