Page 189 of 316 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Thank you to everyone for the heads up on Stranger Things! Made for great post surgery binge watching.
    Man, that little girl who played Eleven was awesome. She could say more with a look than most actors can
    with a page of script!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Saw Florence Foster Jenkins today. Funny & poignant, but not cheesy or sappy imo. The actor (Hedberg?) who plays her pianist is deserving of a supporting actor Oscar imo. You expect great acting from Streep & get it, but Hugh Grant, who I've never been a big fan of, played a pretty complex character quite well. It's the first time I've ever liked him.

Took me back to when I was a kid & my parents used to listen to her for laughs at their cocktail parties.

She may not have known the truth (I do remember being told as a kid by my parents that she actually did think she could sing beautifully, which only compounded the humor for them), but she proved it was possible to be a brilliant satirist without knowing it.

She died in 1944, and her recordings weren't released to the general public until 5-6 years later.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Thank you to everyone for the heads up on Stranger Things! Made for great post surgery binge watching.
    Man, that little girl who played Eleven was awesome. She could say more with a look than most actors can
    with a page of script!
    Everything ok man? Yeah the girl was great. I had a blast watching Stranger Things.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Everything ok man? Yeah the girl was great. I had a blast watching Stranger Things.
    Umbilical hernia repair. Good times!! Thank you for asking!

Wishing a speedy recovery, Lou.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wishing a speedy recovery, Lou.
    Thanks Scott!

Umbilical hernia repair. Good times!! Thank you for asking!
    heh... I had that procedure done 10 years ago

belly button no longer pops out
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    heh... I had that procedure done 10 years ago

belly button no longer pops out
    How long did it take you to recover?

(apologies for the momentary thread hijack)

Don't know how long it takes, but hope its quick, Lou.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    How long did it take you to recover?

(apologies for the momentary thread hijack)
    I had it done 10 years ago. It's hard to remember but it wasn't long. I was in bed for about 4-5 days and after that it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Don't know how long it takes, but hope its quick, Lou.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I had it done 10 years ago. It's hard to remember but it wasn't long. I was in bed for about 4-5 days and after that it was pretty good.
    Thanks for the input!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Umbilical hernia repair.
    I have one of those. For years, it went undiagnosed. Thereafter, no doctor ever told me it was treatable. There are probably stone-age tribes with better health care than the US.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I have one of those. For years, it went undiagnosed. Thereafter, no doctor ever told me it was treatable. There are probably stone-age tribes with better health care than the US.
    Can't wait to get the bills, but the surgery itself so far doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Back on topic, I tried a couple of Netflix series after Stranger Things, with no success. Got through 2 episodes of Making a Killer, and was bored.
    Same thing with Narcos. So, its back to strictly movies.Going to try and watch the 7 Star Wars movies in order. I haven't seen the prequels, or the
    latest one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    sounds about right according to my Aldtimers memory
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Got through 2 episodes of Making a Killer, and was bored.
    If you mean Making A Murderer, don't bother. At the outset, the filmmakers thought they had a compelling narrative and when the facts didn't fit that narrative, they continued on with the narrative anyway. In other words, it's a shoddy doc. Too bad, too, because I didn't know anything about it before seeing it and I found it one of the most compelling things I'd ever seen.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    If you mean Making A Murderer, don't bother. At the outset, the filmmakers thought they had a compelling narrative and when the facts didn't fit that narrative, they continued on with the narrative anyway. In other words, it's a shoddy doc. Too bad, too, because I didn't know anything about it before seeing it and I found it one of the most compelling things I'd ever seen.
    Edit: The one thing that the filmmakers didn't address was how the title of the doc could refer to how Avery was turned into a murderer.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I thought Making A Murderer was blah. Definitely fizzled out about halfway through. MUCH more interesting (I thought) and in similar territory is The Life And Mind Of Mark Defriest It's a 90 min. documentary, not a series, but it's fascinating.

Can't wait to get the bills, but the surgery itself so far doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Back on topic, I tried a couple of Netflix series after Stranger Things, with no success. Got through 2 episodes of Making a Killer, and was bored.
    Same thing with Narcos. So, its back to strictly movies.Going to try and watch the 7 Star Wars movies in order. I haven't seen the prequels, or the
    latest one yet.
    You may want to give Bloodline a whirl. So well written and acted. Very character driven...really sucked me in!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I thought Making A Murderer was blah. Definitely fizzled out about halfway through. MUCH more interesting (I thought) and in similar territory is The Life And Mind Of Mark Defriest It's a 90 min. documentary, not a series, but it's fascinating.
    After looking it up, I've put it on my list.

Making A Murder got a 97% favorable rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an 84% on Metacritic. I don't always agree with RT's or MC's ratings but I find them useful to determine whether I should invest the time in watching something.

Took my daughter to see Finding Dory. Very good.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just saw the latest Star Trek, quite fun
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I thought Mad Max was decent for the type of flick it is. I totally agree it had no place in the Oscars with exceptions for fx , sets and the like. Best Picture, ridiculous.
    I can't really agree. It was nominated for a pile of awards and won 5 or so I believe, primarily for editing, sound design, costumes, etc. It was a bit of a retro effort with the emphasis on "practical FX". From my perspective, it was the cumulative accomplishments in these areas that made a contender for best picture. And keep in mind there are more best picture nominees each year now than there used to be (it's obviously good for home market sales to have as many films as possible say "nominated for best picture").
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just saw the latest Star Trek, quite fun
    This is the first ST film I can recall where I didn't see in the theater (not that it's not too late). The whole vibe of it put me off and I wasn't thrilled with Into Darkness. So I guess I took it off "autobuy" haha.

Curious, what about it did you like and are you a lifelong fan of the franchise?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I enjoyed this late night movie on the TV: The Notorious Landlady (1962) Jack Lemmon, Kim Novak, Fred Astaire.