Page 184 of 316 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234284 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,600 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For the past decade or more it is really the women who have taken over SNL in my opinion.
    Yep. And I've loved it. Like I said, I think that started with Fey taking over as head writer in 2000 (I also loved when Poehler took over for Fallon and joined Fey on Weekend Update; they were great together). And since then they've had a lot of excellent, female actors. Wiig has been my favorite, but most have been great: Fey, Poehler, Dratch, Bayer, McKinnon, Jones and Strong (never really liked Rudolph). You know, they've also had a lot of good male actors, as well, since ~2000: Parnell, Meyers, Forte, Armisen, Hader, Sudeikis. But they've all gone on to better things and you're right: the show now is hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Nice to see some objective views on the new Ghostbusters. Everywhere else on the internet it's either SJWs raging about apocalyptic misogyny based on the original "no-I'm-totally-not-misogynist-but-women-as-ghostbusters-rapes-my-childhood" manboys whining, or racist hate for Leslie Jones. It's really affected her badly.
    Yeah, I heard a thing on the radio about the nasty tweets, etc Paul Feig has gotten since he announced an all female cast. Jesus, it's the 21st century; misogyny should be a thing of the past.

I didn't know about the racism toward Jones. That's too bad. People suck.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Personally I cant get excited by yet another example of a Hollywood carbon copy of a previous movie or TV show. In a way its depressing. I like 3 of 4 of the actresses, and don't know the fourth. I would have liked to see this lineup in something more original and not another moneygrabbing ripoff. That said , I watch the dvd.
    There are so many articles on the net regarding the movie climate but most of them are very poorly written. They basically come down to - ah, there are all these remakes and comic book films, they should instead make more of the masterpieces like The Nice Guys.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    What's SJW?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    What's SJW?
    Social Justice Warrior
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Thanks. I tried looking it up and found nothing that remotely made sense.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Fan-O-Rama -- A Futurama Fan Film
    I'm still freaked out from watching it..... I think I'll watch it again...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNRPKKF4qU
    (I like the 'Q' rating - )
    From 'comments' - "This looks so bad, I can't wait to see it !"

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Fan-O-Rama -- A Futurama Fan Film
    I'm still freaked out from watching it..... I think I'll watch it again...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNRPKKF4qU
    (I like the 'Q' rating - )
    From 'comments' - "This looks so bad, I can't wait to see it !"
    That was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Thanks. I tried looking it up and found nothing that remotely made sense.
    Even when you know what it means, it makes no sense.

One of those nonsensical, pigeonholing, sweeping generalisation type of phrases invented for idiots to throw back at you when they disagree with your views, in a pathetic attempt to ridicule.

And normally used by people who lack the capacity to debate and will inevitably resort to childish name-calling.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Even when you know what it means, it makes no sense.

One of those nonsensical, pigeonholing, sweeping generalisation type of phrases invented for idiots to throw back at you when they disagree with your views, in a pathetic attempt to ridicule.

And normally used by people who lack the capacity to debate and will inevitably resort to childish name-calling.
    Written like a true Libtard.

-=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Guardians Of The Galaxy -- Rocket and Groot are on an International Space Station patch !!

http://www.collectspace.com/news/new...ace-patch.html

Oh yeah.

Whoa.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Doctor Strange looks quite mind-bending.

Lots of good trailers coming out of Comic Con:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just watched an outstanding film called The Dresser with Ian McKellan and Anthony Hopkins. Terrific performances from two master actors.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Just watched an outstanding film called The Dresser with Ian McKellan and Anthony Hopkins. Terrific performances from two master actors.
    Not bad, this was a recent BBC production for TV.

But you should check out the original film with Albert Finney and Tom Courtney, who played the roles in the original stage production.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Was the Austrian film "Good Night Mommy" mentioned? Watched it this weekend. Creepy and pretty good - avoid spoilers.

Star Trek Beyond - Overall I enjoyed it, but the usual pro's and con's - spoilers ahead.

Yorktown Station. Wow. It looked incredible, CGI was very good indeed and had a genuine sense of scale to it. The introduction to Yorktown sequence actually made me feel dizzy (saw it at BFI Imax at London's Waterloo). And was anyone else reminded of the Dyson sphere from TNG?

The swarm attack. Not a new concept but very well done and Enterprise suffered real and serious damage as a result.

The attack on Enterprise - shades of First Contact here, but a genuinely exciting and fast-paced sequence.

Destruction of Enterprise and saucer separation. Yes, been done before, notably in Generations but far better here.

Generally the film looked incredible, not just the sequences mentioned above, but also on the planet.

Having the various crew members spread around and having to figure out how to deal with the situation, there was a reasonable degree of problem solving/inventiveness on behalf of the Enterprise crew.

Hand to hand combat sequences - vicious, punchy and very well choreographed, especially the one between Jayla and Krall's henchman on the planet.

Nods to the original series and continuity with the previous movies. Spock's death acknowledged, an old Starfleet ship buried on the planet, Krall being a Starfleet captain, Spock finding a picture of the original Enterprise crew and the TV theme playing.

Cons -

Opening sequence with the silly creatures. Granted it paid off later and linked to the main plot but...not the best opening sequence.

Still not sure about Pegg's Scotty. Don't find him amusing and he just does not seem to embody the character in the same way a lot of the other cast members do.

Dreadful, lazy plot device involving Keenser (Peggs's little alien helper) having an 'acidic sneeze', enabling a whole bunch of the crew to escape? Seriously?

The shoehorning in of a vehicle sequence, namely the motorbike. Granted, it referenced the first movie, but it still felt out of place. Was wondering if Lin would find a way to inject some F and F style into the movie. Thankfully it was kept to a minimum.

Some of the humour and crew bonding sequences did not come across as genuine. The McCoy/Spock stuff was ok but felt a bit forced.

Looking back, the whole end sequence with the UHF signal, the music seemed very silly, but yet by that time I was enjoying the movie and caught up in it so I didn't really care.

Similarly with the sequence at the end in the air purifier on Yorktown station with Krall. Where was everyone else? No other ships or personnel who could have helped? And could they not have just beamed him out?

But I kind of got wrapped up in the excitement of it and just enjoyed it for what it is. It's that kind of movie. Silly and illogical in places, but ultimately very enjoyable.
    Last edited by Rogue Mail; 07-26-2016 at 07:19 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Any chance you can reverse out the spoilers so they only show when highlighted? I'd love to read your post but don't want any spoilers, thanks
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It's almost all spoilers, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Any chance you can reverse out the spoilers so they only show when highlighted? I'd love to read your post but don't want any spoilers, thanks
    I would but even on advanced settings I don't see spoiler tags.

I only made a few comments outside of the spoilers stuff anyway, as below -

Overall I enjoyed it, the usual pro's and cons,but I kind of got wrapped up in the excitement of it and just enjoyed it for what it is. It's that kind of movie. Silly and illogical in places, but ultimately very enjoyable.

Mojave - a rich Hollywood actor (Garrett Hedlund) encounters a psychopath (Oscar Isaac) in the California desert. The psychopath learns where the actor lives and makes his life hell. Good acting makes neither main character likeable, but you still want to see what happens to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I would but even on advanced settings I don't see spoiler tags.
    There aren't any. What you do is highlight the text you want hidden, click on the big "A", and change the color to white.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    There aren't any. What you do is highlight the text you want hidden, click on the big "A", and change the color to white.
    Done.

I read the spoilers yesterday, but my memory being as it is (on vacation) I don't remember any of them. So I can enjoy the flick regardless . One of the few perks of fading memory.

I'm not really a fan of horror movies, exactly, but I do enjoy a couple of subgenres of it: supernatural- and psychological-horror, tho I much prefer supernatural.

Any other fans with recommendations?

Here's a list of some of my favorites:
    The Haunting (the original)
    The Shining
    Angel Heart
    The Ninth Gate
    The Omen (including the remake)
    The Exorcist (most of the FX are kinda lame, now, but the movie is still good)
    The 2 Exorcist prequels
    Blair Witch Project
    Paranormal (the first couple, anyway)
    Ringu/The Ring (one of the few Asian horror movies I really liked; I also thought it was amazing that the American remake was as good; maybe even better)
    The Devil's Advocate
    Devil (the 2010 movie, which was surprisingly good)
    Gothika

Some I didn't like or thought overrated:
    The Wicker Man (the original)
    Burnt Offerings
    Rosemary's Baby (I like it, I guess, but think it's overrated)
    And pretty much anything made where the blood looks like paint and/or the FX are lame