Page 181 of 316 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231281 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

I have to start bingewatching The Americans from the beginning, but the one problem I've had is keeping track of the separate story lines and keeping track of who's who - they all look too much alike to me.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    A caveat, as much as I enjoyed the movie, it's not The Americans good.
    Well, I loved Cloverfield so if the new one is, as you say, better, I'll happily skip a night of The Americans.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

...a molotov fucking cocktail

That's all I have to say.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched some music DVDs last night, because anything's better than summertime TV.

Johnny Cash In Ireland 1993 - excellent. I don't think I had seen this one before.

The Kinks-One For The Road (recorded 1979)- saw it before but always love it. I saw them on their 1976 and 1977 tours.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Million Dollar Baby (2004) - Clint Eastwood, Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman. I'm sure everyone here is familiar with this classic about a trainer and fighter but if you haven't, this is a must see. 10/10.
    I haven't seen it but I remember hearing more negative opinions of this than positive when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I haven't seen it but I remember hearing more negative opinions of this than positive when it came out.
    In what parallel universe, Jed? That movie had pretty damned near universal acclaim, media and viewers alike.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/million_dollar_baby/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    In what parallel universe, Jed? That movie had pretty damned near universal acclaim, media and viewers alike.

He's heard of Clint Eastwood but hasn't seen anything by him.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    He's heard of Clint Eastwood but hasn't seen anything by him.
    I keep trying to give him the benefit of the doubt....silly rabbit. I'm sure Jed loved Clint's work in Smokey and the Bandit...

I give it a thumbs down. I'm a big boxing fan, and I know what's realistic and what isn't. I can't really recall any that were realistic, so I guess I'm down on the whole subgenre. Having said that, I don't think I ever saw more than a few snatches of Raging Bull, and it is also critically acclaimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

Weakest scene in the movie
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

As soon as I saw the bottle of liquor in the truck I immediately thought of you. I consider that a borderline spoiler. Shame on you.

[Spoiler Alert]

I actually didn't have a problem with that. What I had a problem with was the whole fucking premise of the movie. I mean, think about it: the reason for being in the bunker could have been anything. The tie-in with Cloverfield was cheap and superficial. Unless, of course, they do a proper sequel. But I doubt that's in the works.

And the basic story was really about a woman stuck in a bunker who's maybe held against her will by a guy who's either a nutcase (which he was) or just trying to protect her (which he also was, but not for altruistic reasons). I can think of a better recent movie with the same basic premise: Hush.

Aside from the acting, I was left unimpressed.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Unless, of course, they do a proper sequel. But I doubt that's in the works.
    From one of the pieces I read from the producer or director they said this is the point where Michelle's saga begins. She done with running from everything. She's here to kick ass. I see your point where it felt tacked on but it was there for a reason. Yes, the whole story inside the bunker could have been just the movie. Goodman is so good as these kind of roles where you just don't know where he's going to turn. I'm just very excited about the implications of a wider story and usually JJ Abrams does little to excite me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

From one of the pieces I read from the producer or director they said this is the point where Michelle's saga begins. She done with running from everything. She's here to kick ass. I see your point where it felt tacked on but it was there for a reason. Yes, the whole story inside the bunker could have been just the movie. Goodman is so good as these kind of roles where you just don't know where he's going to turn. I'm just very excited about the implications of a wider story and usually JJ Abrams does little to excite me.
    Well, now see, I like Abrams. He's been involved in a lot of things I've enjoyed (e.g. Alias, Person of Interest, Cloverfield, Super 8). And if this movie is the first of a series (or at least a duology), then it gets a pass. And I should clarify: I liked the movie okay but I wouldn't have recommended it before reading your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    As soon as I saw the bottle of liquor in the truck I immediately thought of you. I consider that a borderline spoiler. Shame on you.
    Oh yeah...[Spoiler Alert] Sorry man, my bad! But that whole scene just angered the shit out of me. And honestly with you and Jerol being the nitpicky bastards you are , I'm surprised it gets a pass! I mean cmon! How would she know to throw it there?! And it takes down the whole freakin thing??!! CMON!!! Ruined the movie for me. I did like it up to that point though.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

[Spoiler Alert]

Oh yeah...[Spoiler Alert] Sorry man, my bad! But that whole scene just angered the shit out of me. And honestly with you and Jerol being the nitpicky bastards you are , I'm surprised it gets a pass! I mean cmon! How would she know to throw it there?! And it takes down the whole freakin thing??!! CMON!!! Ruined the movie for me. I did like it up to that point though.
    I just watched it again and that scene was not filmed or staged all that well. Director's fault. But, first off, as soon as I knew she was going to make a molotov cocktail, I immediately thought I'd throw it in that same spot. It looked like a mouth to me so why not throw it in there? Besides, it looked like the only opening to the ship. Seemed logical to me. And as for how it took down the whole thing, you must have missed it – I did at first. Remember when the big ship showed up and started spewing that green smoke and she ran to put on her gas mask? The fire from the bunker ignited a large portion of that green smoke. It was flammable! Case solved.

All in all, I think the biggest take away from this movie was John Goodman. I don't know why he's never been nominated for an Oscar. He was an asshole who redeems himself in Punchline, was amusing in Raising Arizona and Arachnophobia, scary/weird in Barton Fink, was kind of an odd asshole wound a little too tight in The Big Lebowski, was wonderful in Monsters, Inc, and totally convincing in 10 Cloverfield Ln. One of the best actors without an Oscar nomination.

Don't forget Goodman's brief appearance as the Cyclops in O Brother Where Art Thou
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post

I just read the NY Times review, which is favorable, yet from the description the movie sounds terrible and hackneyed. It obviously got good reviews, but people I knew generally seemed to be unimpressed. But clearly the critics liked it, or said they did. I'm a pretty big Clint fan, actually.

Don't forget Goodman's brief appearance as the Cyclops in O Brother Where Art Thou
    Goodman's been great in most of the movies I've seen him, particularly in the crime noir films like The Big Easy and Sea of Love. I draw the line at the Blues Brothers reboot, though...

Didn't know there was a Blues Bros reboot.

I remember first seeing him in True Stories, the David Byrne/Talking Heads movie.

Didn't know there was a Blues Bros reboot.
    For the love of Pete don't explore further.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - This movie is highly entertaining. Interesting characters, good humour, lots of action.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    For the love of Pete don't explore further.
    I don't even like the original movie - just not my thing.

I don't even like the original movie - just not my thing.
    I'm surprised that you've even heard of the original movie.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm surprised that you've even heard of the original movie.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - This movie is highly entertaining. Interesting characters, good humour, lots of action.
    I really really enjoyed that movie, just the right balance of action, humor and biting sarcasm
    Ian