Page 176 of 316 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 4,376 to 4,400 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Watched The Revenant last night. Man I love a good revenge flick and this one didn't disappoint. It's a little long, dragging in places and I would have liked more of an ending, but I was riveted. Visually amazing with the landscapes and all that. Great acting all around as well. That bear attack scene was amazing! The BluRay looked SOOOO good upconverted to 4K on my TV .

8 out of 10 large dead animals
    Horse tent!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    How about the worst movie ending of all time?

I remember seeing Stephen King's made-for-TV "IT" when it came out. Tim Curry absolutely scared the shit out of me as the evil clown. But...ummm...then there's the end of the movie..and...WTF? A spider? He's a spider! What the hell...
    Agreed but what could they do with that story ending. Maybe some massive CGI would have done it better.

Now what I am waiting for is The Dark Tower movie. I gotta see how they pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Can somebody explain to me the appeal of zombies, vampires and superheroes?

Seems like 90% of the movies in the past decade have been one (or more) of these... and I just don't get it.
    Zombies are big now but I am pretty much done with the AMC shows. Sick of waiting to see who dies next and FTWD is just boring.

Vampires? I'm clueless on this one except that a bunch middle-aged women went nuts for those movies with vampires who I saw described as "Instead of sucking blood, they look like they suck d***". Best vampire movies? Nosferatu and The Night Stalker.

Superheroes? Hollywood ran out of ideas and turned to comic books. With CGI they can do anything now and it brings new stories up but I can see now that they are running this type of movies into the ground.

Apocalypse Now is my fav movie and has held that spot since it came out. The Redux version had some good stuff but all that stuff with the French plantation was not needed.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Another great vampire flick is Shadow of the Vampire (2000).

I agree with Paulie on these:

Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later
    Vampire Movies: Let the Right One In and its surprisingly well done American re-make Let Me In
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Zombies are big now but I am pretty much done with the AMC shows. Sick of waiting to see who dies next and FTWD is just boring.
    I'm done with the Walking Dead. It's basically Gilligan's Island with the undead. But this, this restores my hope in AMC. Well, and the Night Manager.

http://nerdist.com/watch-preachers-f...ur-whole-life/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Deathgasm

What can I say about this New Zealand horror/comedy? Metalhead Brody goes to live with his religious
    Aunt,Uncle,and cousin after his parents die in a house fire. Immediately an outsider, he finds solace with
    two other high school social outcasts, and a fellow metalhead , They decide to start a band. At the home
    of their favorite star (which they broke into), they are given ancient sheet music to hold onto. Of course they
    play it. This happens to be The Black Hymn, and all who hear its sound become demons. Violence and
    shenanigans ensue. Could have been much better than it was. Not something to actively seek out and watch,
    but if it makes it to Netflix, might be worth a mindless 90 watch. If nothing else, for the scene where they
    are battling demons with the world's largest black dildo and anal beads. Yeah....that is the tone of this one!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

You just said everything everybody thinks, but never says out loud about vampires
    I am Daniel and I like vampire movies. I hide it from my wife even I really am an addict of stupid shows and movies. BUT.
    But for you guys - one of the best vampire parody movies I saw was What We Do in the Shadows. Here is a link to trailer -trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Apocalypse Now is my fav movie and has held that spot since it came out. The Redux version had some good stuff but all that stuff with the French plantation was not needed.
    Presumably you're familiar with "Hearts of Darkness," the feature-length documentary on the making of "Apocalypse Now"?

I agree that the French plantation scenes established a completely different pace and feel from the rest of the movie, but in a way that exposed another layer of the madness that was Viet Nam, where foreigners set up enclaves in the countryside and remained almost blissfully ignorant of the disasters taking place elsewhere in the country. To drop a bunch of soldiers into this tea party was a genius move IMO. But it didn't fit in the movie, so it was the right move to cut it.

"The Burden of Dreams" is another feature-length documentary on The Making Of, this time "Fitzcarraldo" which like "Apocalypse" was a massive undertaking that almost killed several cast members.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Presumably you're familiar with "Hearts of Darkness," the feature-length documentary on the making of "Apocalypse Now"?

I agree that the French plantation scenes established a completely different pace and feel from the rest of the movie, but in a way that exposed another layer of the madness that was Viet Nam, where foreigners set up enclaves in the countryside and remained almost blissfully ignorant of the disasters taking place elsewhere in the country. To drop a bunch of soldiers into this tea party was a genius move IMO. But it didn't fit in the movie, so it was the right move to cut it.

"The Burden of Dreams" is another feature-length documentary on The Making Of, this time "Fitzcarraldo" which like "Apocalypse" was a massive undertaking that almost killed several cast members.
    Sure, the plantation scene is extraneous, but there was a purpose. Kind of establishing the failures the French had with the Viet Minh, prescursors to the Cong, and how the US was determined not to learn from France's failure.

Besides, the best part of Redux are the Playboy bunnies fulfilling every guys' wet dream.

Saw Jurassic World recently. Yeah, what plot?

Who cares? I LOVE dinosaurs.(Insert insanely loud dinosaur screeeeeeeeech from the ending here.)
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Another great vampire flick is Shadow of the Vampire (2000).

I agree with Paulie on these:

Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later
    Vampire Movies: Let the Right One In and its surprisingly well done American re-make Let Me In
    Is Shadow of the Vampire the one about making Nosferatu?

I just can't watch another zombie flick after Shaun of the Dead. I simply can't sit through one and not say something like, "you've got red on you", or "I put in under a cold tap". Shaun of the Dead destroyed all other zombie movies for me.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Never heard of it.

Yes.

Just streamed a new release on Netflix - Do-Over with Adam Sandler and David Spade. 10 out of 10 's

...back to Daredevil Season 2...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Tom Hanks' new movie "A Hologram for the King."

Hanks plays an IT guy who goes to Saudi Arabia to try to sell an insanely-expensive holographic conference calling system to the king. Culture clash. The Saudis keep putting him off, Hanks and his team are kept in a substandard tent, the guy he's supposed to meet with keeps being unavailable, the Saudi king doesn't appear when he's supposed to.... Meanwhile he can't get a cold beer in the desert.

The movie kept surprising me. Just when I thought it was going to descend into Arab-bashing it showed off some of the really laudable aspects of their culture. Just when I thought Hanks was going to fold up and go home, he pushed through and got an audience with his contact. When I thought Hanks was going to go after the Danish woman who was pursuing him, he backed off. Unpredictable.

Meanwhile, Hanks is learning about the people, learning about the culture, and getting better at dealing with situations. I won't give away more of the plot than that, except to say in the end he decides to stay in Saudi Arabia.

Overall, a very entertaining movie, lots of humor, good spirit, showed respect for peoples' differences.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Just streamed Do-Over with Adam Sandler and David Spade.
    Why would you? Those two haven't been funny -- separately or together -- for decades.

Why would you? Those two haven't been funny -- separately or together -- for decades.
    well, yeah, I had to find out yesterday the hard way, as I haven't seen either of 'em in anything. By choice, not by Jed's standards

ETA: Actually (WikiGeekTM), David Spade was on Howard Stern talking about the movie earlier in the week, so there was a passing curiosity borne out of that earworm. *shrug*
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 05-29-2016 at 01:44 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

At least it didn't cost you anything. Unless you bought popcorn!
    "The Do-Over" is atrocious, but it's atrocious in different ways than any of Adam Sandler's previous comedies. Of course, it's also atrocious in many of the same ways that Sandler's comedies always have been, but you have to respect the fact that — more than two decades since "Billy Madison" minted Sandler as a leading man — this restless innovator is still finding new methods of making bad movies. For years, we've been asking Adam Sandler to try harder. We've been making a huge mistake.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 05-29-2016 at 12:00 AM.

". I won't give away more of the plot than that, except to say in the end he decides to stay in Saudi Arabia."

Seems like, along with the other tidbits, to be most of a movie plot. Is there more, wait don't tell me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Tom Hanks' new movie "A Hologram for the King."
    I haven't seen the one yet where he lives in an airport.

You can say that about nearly all of the SNL alumni, Bill Murray being one of the few exceptions (Chevy Chase wishes he could be as good as Murray). Altho, now that I think about it, the newer batch are pretty good: Wiig, Fey, Poehler, Armisen, Sudeikis, Hader, and Forte.

But, yeah, Sandler has made one funny movie, imo (The Waterboy). I've avoided anything made by anybody else.

I haven't seen the one yet where he lives in an airport.
    It's called The Terminal and it was a pretty good movie, albeit nothing great.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Saw this on the Drudge Report: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/b...sequel-8066214

I'm probably not alone in finding the prospect somewhat cringeworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Seems like, along with the other tidbits, to be most of a movie plot. Is there more, wait don't tell me.
    It's one of those movies where the plot isn't the only thing, mostly it's about atmosphere, and learning, and adjusting to a foreign culture. I was careful to not give away any surprises, although even those wouldn't ruin the movie. It's a journey of discovery, a passage to understanding -- not a thriller.

Bleeding Heart

Nice little Netflix thriller. Stars Jessica Biel as a yoga instructor who finds out she has a biological younger sister. She sets
    out to meet her, and the two bond immediately. Although, they could not be any more different. Biel is the hippy-ish Yoga
    teacher, while little sister is being prostituted by her abusive boyfriend. The film is about Biel trying to save her sister.
    Pretty suspenseful at times. The guy playing the abusive boyfriend is excellent. And, did I mention, you get Jessica Biel
    in tight yoga pants and tank tops?!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence