Page 175 of 316 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,375 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

On my way out the door to see 10 Cloverfield Lane....
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    On my way out the door to see 10 Cloverfield Lane....
    Wow, started to read the synopsis then stopped because it sounded so interesting. Let us know if this pays off...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Can somebody explain to me the appeal of zombies, vampires and superheroes?

Seems like 90% of the movies in the past decade have been one (or more) of these... and I just don't get it.
    heh, I dont mind the comic book stuff at all. Some of it is very clever and imaginative. I agree with you on the occult stuff though. It bores me to tears. Strictly for 12 year olds
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, started to read the synopsis then stopped because it sounded so interesting. Let us know if this pays off...
    Liked it. John Goodman was at his "SHUT THE FUCK UP DONNY" best...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Liked it. John Goodman was at his "SHUT THE FUCK UP DONNY" best...
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    heh, I dont mind the comic book stuff at all. Some of it is very clever and imaginative. I agree with you on the occult stuff though. It bores me to tears. Strictly for 12 year olds
    A horror film from a while back that was better than I expected from the title was Skeleton Key. Takes place in New Orleans and had some good surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A horror film from a while back that was better than I expected from the title was Skeleton Key. Takes place in New Orleans and had some good surprises.
    Yeah, one of the better of recent vintage.

JKL2000; "

Guardians of the Galaxy (poignant but funny "superhero" movie. A lot like reading a good space opera novel. "

^^This
    I looked at this as more of an action/space opera than a superhero movie. If this did come from a comic book I wasn't aware. Plus no one in the flick wore their underware outside their pants , instant disqualification in my little universe.

Seems like 90% of the movies in the past decade have been one (or more) of these... and I just don't get it.

Nothing stands in the way of the sequel, even the prequel, more so the remake... not to mention the reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Apocalypse Now may be my all time favorite movie...original and redux. Just an amazing, mesmerizing, dark journey. My taste of course. It's a toss up between this Once Upon a time in the West and the original Alien. That's pretty much my trifecta
    That's a hell of a trifecta.

I'm with you... 2/3 of the way.

The last new vampire movie I saw was Interview With a Vampire and I didn't care for it. Unless you count I Am Legend. I know it's been described as a vampire movie but I think of it more as a zombie movie. I also think it's a very good movie.

I don't understand the interest of superhero movies, either. Of those I've seen – and I tend to avoid them – and have seen repeatedly are:
    Unbreakable, the M Night Shyamalan movie.
    Sky High. This is a Disney movie so it's appropriate for the whole family. It's also surprisingly good.
    Hancock, which I will often catch when it's on TV. A unique twist on the superhero movie.
    The Incredibles, which, imo, is the best superhero movie bar none. But then it's a Pixar movie so that should come as no surprise.

I've heard Deadpool is good, too, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

As for zombie movies, look at them as post-apocalyptic science fiction (a genre I happen to love) with people who want to eat you.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Yes...comic book stuff is so adult. at that sentence.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Robert Redford feels that the comic book genre has something to offer

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...erica/7434737/

I thought casting him as Pierce was brilliant, especially considering his role in Three Days of the Condor.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I guess I have a simpleton's mentality towards movies. If it entertains me, I like it! Movies are escapism for me. Which is why I like horror, super hero, and science fiction
    so much. I am not looking to find every liberty the director takes, or plot holes. I look at films at face value. My bottom line....did it entertain me? And yes, I am easily amused!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I guess I have a simpleton's mentality towards movies. If it entertains me, I like it! Movies are escapism for me. Which is why I like horror, super hero, and science fiction
    so much. I am not looking to find every liberty the director takes, or plot holes. I look at films at face value. My bottom line....did it entertain me? And yes, I am easily amused!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Incredibles is probably my favorite super hero movie.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Deadpool - watched this one last night. I enjoyed it, but the humour does not always quite work, its sometimes a little forced and does not always sit well with the dark nature of the material. But when it does work it can be very entertaining. Quite brutal in places, the fight sequences reminded me of the Raid movies in style. But Reynolds is very good in the role and manages to carry it off. Interesting structure too, with the movie being based around a single set-piece and using flashbacks to fill in the gaps.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    That's a hell of a trifecta.

I'm with you... 2/3 of the way.

The last new vampire movie I saw was Interview With a Vampire and I didn't care for it. Unless you count I Am Legend. I know it's been described as a vampire movie but I think of it more as a zombie movie. I also think it's a very good movie.

I don't understand the interest of superhero movies, either. Of those I've seen – and I tend to avoid them – and have seen repeatedly are:
    Unbreakable, the M Night Shyamalan movie.
    Sky High. This is a Disney movie so it's appropriate for the whole family. It's also surprisingly good.
    Hancock, which I will often catch when it's on TV. A unique twist on the superhero movie.
    The Incredibles, which, imo, is the best superhero movie bar none. But then it's a Pixar movie so that should come as no surprise.

I've heard Deadpool is good, too, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

As for zombie movies, look at them as post-apocalyptic science fiction (a genre I happen to love) with people who want to eat you.
    I watched Unbreakable again recently, it is still a great movie. Interesting to watch it now in the light of all of the recent superhero movies. An interesting take on the comic book hero.

And its unique in that it shows you very little, yet still manages to create quite an atmosphere and a degree of tension. The 'train crash' at the beginning is never seen. Most of the scene take place in small rooms and are dialogue pieces. There is family drama and tension, and only one scene at the end involving a 'rescue' that could be considered a set-piece.

It's also one of Willis' best performances.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Super Hero Movies: Kickass & Super
    Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later
    Vampire Movies: Let the Right One In and its surprisingly well done American re-make Let Me In, Lost Boys
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Watched The Revenant last night. Man I love a good revenge flick and this one didn't disappoint. It's a little long, dragging in places and I would have liked more of an ending, but I was riveted. Visually amazing with the landscapes and all that. Great acting all around as well. That bear attack scene was amazing! The BluRay looked SOOOO good upconverted to 4K on my TV .

8 out of 10 large dead animals

George Clooney's new movie, Money Monster. I was a little skeptical how they'd explain and unravel the 2008 financial meltdown on a live TV show, but they didn't. They had just one hedge fund which imploded and, spoiler alert, the CEO made off (Madoff?) with the money.

Jodie Foster's a very good director, and they managed to squeak out quite a bit of suspense out of a plot that had no surprises. Clooney was good. Julia Roberts surprisingly wasn't terrible. Overall a solid 3 out of 5.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    10 Cloverfield Lane. Not at all a sequel to one of my all-time favorite monster flicks, but thoroughly enjoyed it just the same. The ending was quite unexpected and Goodman was a hoot to watch. I hope Abrahms continues with this cloverfield-themed series (monsters come in all shapes and sizes).

8.5 out of 10 premium whisky fueled Molotov cocktails.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

George Clooney's new movie, Money Monster. I was a little skeptical how they'd explain and unravel the 2008 financial meltdown on a live TV show, but they didn't. They had just one hedge fund which imploded and, spoiler alert, the CEO made off (Madoff?) with the money.

Jodie Foster's a very good director, and they managed to squeak out quite a bit of suspense out of a plot that had no surprises. Clooney was good. Julia Roberts surprisingly wasn't terrible. Overall a solid 3 out of 5.
    I have no particular opinion on Roberts. I tried to watch Pretty Woman but couldn't finish it. I wasn't interested in it from the beginning but gave it a chance because of the director and secondly - it was made by Touchstone. They made some good movies in the second half of the 80's.

Then there's Melanie Griffith. Body Double was a decent film until she appeared in it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Then there's Melanie Griffith. Body Double was a decent film until she appeared in it.
    Have you seen Something Wild (1986) with Melanie Griffith, Jeff Daniels, and Ray Liotta? It a decent flick and Melanie plays a great role.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Have you seen Something Wild (1986) with Melanie Griffith, Jeff Daniels, and Ray Liotta? It a decent flick and Melanie plays a great role.
    It was on my radar. Tried to watch it but didn't manage to see it all. Will give it a chance sometime, perhaps. Can't say I'm a big fan of Daniels either, but I like Liotta. In the end it depends how good a film is. If it's good then I don't have a big problem to ignore some stuff I don't like. For example, the same Body Double - I would say that I like it, but still prefer De Palma's Blow Out although in that one Nancy Allen is a bit annoying.