Page 174 of 316 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224274 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Excellent!
    I tried to find something on it but no luck so far. I definitely read about it on one other forum and it was also on one of the movie sites. But this happens - there are films which they plan to release on Blu but because of some problems with the rights or other issues it's delayed. Sooner or later this should be out anyway.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone remember the title of an 80s movie about a leak at some kind of facility that makes bio-tech weapons, and some of the workers are trapped inside and some of the workers are infected? It's basically a zombie type movie, and I can never remember the title. It was pretty good though.

Agreed about Almost Famous... great film, loved it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone remember the title of an 80s movie about a leak at some kind of facility that makes bio-tech weapons, and some of the workers are trapped inside and some of the workers are infected? It's basically a zombie type movie, and I can never remember the title. It was pretty good though.
    Try this link of 80's zombie movies.....

http://best-zombie-movies.weebly.com...ie-movies.html
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

It could be this one. I saw it once, it was alright. Good cast.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090293/

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    It could be this one. I saw it once, it was alright. Good cast.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090293/
    Thanks, I think that's it!

How about the worst movie ending of all time?

I remember seeing Stephen King's made-for-TV "IT" when it came out. Tim Curry absolutely scared the shit out of me as the evil clown. But...ummm...then there's the end of the movie..and...WTF? A spider? He's a spider! What the hell...
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Intruders

An agoraphobic woman shares a house with her brother, who has pancreatic cancer. After his death,
    her home is broken into by three guys. (on the day of the funeral) Due to her condition, she is unable
    or unwilling to make the trek outside for the service, and is home during the robbery. The robbers did
    not count on this, or her being even more mentally screwed up than just agoraphobia. Bad night to be
    a burglar! Starts out rather slow, but soon becomes a very good thriller. Well worth a view!

It Follows

How would you feel if you had to look over your shoulder all your life to keep walking ghosts from killing you unless you have sex with someone to pass this curse onto them? Pretty interesting idea I say! It's no award winner, but definitely got under my skin. The score was absolutely fuckin' fantastically 80's horrorlicious and probably the main reason why I liked it like I did.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The 70's and 80's aesthetics, score and cinematography + a lot of John Carpenter (particularly Halloween) + Nightmare On Elm Street = It Follows

One of the best horror pictures since the 80's, IMO.

Last night I watched M.Night Shamalamadingdong's "The Visit." Not great, but it has some creepy moments. He's a bit too focused on trying to keep you guessing wrong about what's going on, but he was mostly successful with this one.

Just watched Zombieland, again, last night. I love that movie. Woody Harrelson is perfect in it and the rest of the cast is also very good. Anyone else think it's the best zombie movie ever made? (sacrilege! )

I'm one of the rare who hasn't seen any of The Godfather films from beginning to end, no matter what version. Somehow I'm not rushing either.
    I'm "one of the rare" who thinks The Godfather is overrated. A very, very good movie, for sure, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be. I cringe every time I watch the scene where Sonny beats up his brother-in-law. Hell, I think Caan was miscast. I think The Godfather II is better.

Trivia: John Cazale, who played Fredo, was Meryl Streep's first great love. I saw an interview with her once where she talked about him. She was pretty devastated by his early death.

On the other hand, I like the other two Coppola classics - The Conversation and Apocalypse Now.
    My two fave Coppola movies, easily. And The Conversation – another great political thriller that ranks right up there, for me, with Three Days of the Condor and The Day of the Jackal.

Incidentally, for those not familiar, it contains the young Harrison Ford, Cindy Williams (of Laverne & Shirley fame), John Cazale, and Frederic Forrest ("Chef" in Apocalypse Now) in early roles.

No argument there from me. I would like to see them all at least for the Gordon Willis cinematography although I think it's hard to top what he did for Pakula in the 70's - Klute, The Parallax View and All The President's Men.
    You seem to forget what he did for Woody Allen: Annie Hall, Manhattan, Zelig, The Purple Rose of Cairo, etc. Willis is one of the greatest cinematographers, right up there with Sven Nykvist, whose black & white films for Ingmar Bergman are just about the most gorgeous things you're going to see on screen... if you can sit through the movie, that is.

I agree that Apocalypse Now has some flaws, especially the Redux version which is very long although some of the scenes are fairly good. But I saw the theatrical version after this long Redux version and I prefer the shorter cut - it makes the film smoother and tighter. It would have been interesting to see Eastwood and Mcqueen instead of Brando and Sheen, but both of them wanted to play the short part of Kurtz because of his limited screen time. This has one of my fave Duvall roles, I thought Sheen was good but either Eastwood or particularly Mcqueen would have filled the shoes of Kurtz very well.
    Totally disagree. I don't think Eastwood would have been believable and McQueen wouldn't have brought the gravitas – or weirdness – that Brando did. Besides, I think Brando ad libbed much of his dialogue, iirc. But you're right about Duvall & Sheen; especially Duvall. Dennis Hopper was also excellent in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I will have to check out The Conversation for sure.
    Do so. I think The Conversation may be Coppola's best movie.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    It Follows

How would you feel if you had to look over your shoulder all your life to keep walking ghosts from killing you unless you have sex with someone to pass this curse onto them? Pretty interesting idea I say! It's no award winner, but definitely got under my skin. The score was absolutely fuckin' fantastically 80's horrorlicious and probably the main reason why I liked it like I did.
    I had heard a lot of good things about this flick, so watched with high expectations. Ultimately though, I thought it was a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Just watched Zombieland, again, last night. I love that movie. Woody Harrelson is perfect in it and the rest of the cast is also very good. Anyone else think it's the best zombie movie ever made? (sacrilege! )
    I love the part where the guy's girlfriend suddenly goes zombie, but he doesn't yet know what's going on so when she tries to attack him he just goes "Whoa! Whoa!"

I'd have to see it again to say if it's the best zombie movie, but I don't know that I could say that.

I love the part where the guy's girlfriend suddenly goes zombie, but he doesn't yet know what's going on so when she tries to attack him he just goes "Whoa! Whoa!"
    I love the bit toward the end when Jesse Eisenberg hits the clown in the face with the mallet and the clown's red rubber nose squeaks. Makes me laugh every time.

I'd have to see it again to say if it's the best zombie movie, but I don't know that I could say that.
    I understand it's probably not a common opinion – and I do think the original Dawn of the Dead is brilliant and really enjoyed World War Z – but I just love the attitude and humor of Zombieland.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

My favorite bit from Zombieland was the "zombie kill of the week"

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"Do you have any regrets?"

"Garfield."
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

I'm "one of the rare" who thinks The Godfather is overrated. A very, very good movie, for sure, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be. I cringe every time I watch the scene where Sonny beats up his brother-in-law. Hell, I think Caan was miscast. I think The Godfather II is better.

Trivia: John Cazale, who played Fredo, was Meryl Streep's first great love. I saw an interview with her once where she talked about him. She was pretty devastated by his early death.

My two fave Coppola movies, easily. And The Conversation – another great political thriller that ranks right up there, for me, with Three Days of the Condor and The Day of the Jackal.

Incidentally, for those not familiar, it contains the young Harrison Ford, Cindy Williams (of Laverne & Shirley fame), John Cazale, and Frederic Forrest ("Chef" in Apocalypse Now) in early roles.

You seem to forget what he did for Woody Allen: Annie Hall, Manhattan, Zelig, The Purple Rose of Cairo, etc. Willis is one of the greatest cinematographers, right up there with Sven Nykvist, whose black & white films for Ingmar Bergman are just about the most gorgeous things you're going to see on screen... if you can sit through the movie, that is.

Totally disagree. I don't think Eastwood would have been believable and McQueen wouldn't have brought the gravitas – or weirdness – that Brando did. Besides, I think Brando ad libbed much of his dialogue, iirc. But you're right about Duvall & Sheen; especially Duvall. Dennis Hopper was also excellent in it.

Do so. I think The Conversation may be Coppola's best movie.
    Didn't like Zombieland too much. Harrelson was fine, but I didn't like Eisenberg with his monologues at all.
    I haven't liked anything as much as Return Of The Living Dead. That one is a blast.
    About Woody Allen - the thing is that I didn't forget anything. I doubt I've seen any of those films. I've heard of them and I know Willis shot them but I haven't seen them. I haven't seen a lot of these types of classics. It's just that I saw those Pakula directed movies and The Paper Chase. Found out about Willis mostly through them.

The casting for Godfather is interesting as well - Mcqueen auditioned for this one, I think it was the role of Duvall. It seems every director wanted Mcqueen in something, it's amazing - the list of films he turned down. I once read the list.

The casting for Apocalypse Now - it's all subjective and depends on the preference. I'm not sure how (for example) Keitel would have fared as he was cast before Sheen. I'm not a big fan of Brando. They could've cast George C. Scott in that.

It's all comparable to the initial casting ideas of First Blood - before the Kirk Douglas casting as Trautman there was the idea of Kristofferson as Rambo, Marvin as Trautman and Hackman as Teasle. I'm fine with what there was - Dennehy and Crenna.

Apocalypse Now may be my all time favorite movie...original and redux. Just an amazing, mesmerizing, dark journey. My taste of course. It's a toss up between this Once Upon a time in the West and the original Alien. That's pretty much my trifecta

It Follows

I just saw this a few weeks ago. I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed. That probably comes from all the hype I read about it. Making a lot
    of Best Of Horror lists for 2015. Guess I was expecting too much. Still...not a bad film. I could see watching it again down the road.

I hear ya, Lou. Like I said...not an award winner. The thing that really struck me with it was the terrific 80's sounding score. If it wasn't for that I would have probably been let down. I do like the idea though. Found it pretty creepy.

Oh by the way I checked out that Henry Rollins flick He Never Died last week. Not bad, not good, but entertaining enough. it was definitely the perfect role for him

I hear ya, Lou. Like I said...not an award winner. The thing that really struck me with it was the terrific 80's sounding score. If it wasn't for that I would have probably been let down. I do like the idea though. Found it pretty creepy.

Oh by the way I checked out that Henry Rollins flick He Never Died last week. Not bad, not good, but entertaining enough. it was definitely the perfect role for him
    Agreed on all counts.

Can somebody explain to me the appeal of zombies, vampires and superheroes?

Seems like 90% of the movies in the past decade have been one (or more) of these... and I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Seems like 90% of the movies in the past decade have been one (or more) of these... and I just don't get it.
    They're warmer, and it's easier to read their liner notes.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Superheroes - Again, I think those movies aren't necessarily aimed at an adult audience. My 17 yr old son loves them, but he's grown up with them and I think they are his version of Japanese monster movies.

Vampire movies: Bela Lugosi's Dracula is the ultimate for me.

Zombie movies: harder to explain. I love them, and the ones with slow zombies are the best. A very resilient genre though.

If you haven't seen these, I reccomend them:

Shaun of the Dead (hilarious but still good zombie action)

Guardians of the Galaxy (poignant but funny "superhero" movie. A lot like reading a good space opera novel.