Page 173 of 316 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223273 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    They should use Caitlyn Jenner for this one.
    Anything after Madeline Kahn? Nahhhhhh!
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree that a lot of remakes are pointless. I have hope that studios have cottoned to the fact that there are a lot of great books (etc.) that have never been made into movies. Not that they all NEED to be made into movies, but it least it provides new avenues.
    There was The Forever War which was planned as a Ridley Scott movie. I think there was talk of it being too expensive to make so it's sidelined for now. Not the only one of course.

Yeah a lot of remakes are pointless, but I'd rather watch them than this endless circle jerk of comic book super hero movies.
    Last edited by Klonk; 05-10-2016 at 08:55 PM.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    ,Selmer " now it's all more raw, faster paced and with more action, less intellect"

Take a lightweight like Pratt ,put in a roll created by a Steve McQueen and the only way to avoid negative comparison is distract the viewer with "raw, faster paced " action. Go BOOM loud enough and avoid the need for quality script and acting. Hence ,my default go to when channel surfing is TCM. The reliance and weight given to cgi effects, quick edits, loud booming sound tracks over story ,dialogue and competent acting has turned so many modern movies into forgettable fluff. My prediction for the 7 remake, forgettable.
    so very true... TCM is the *only* place for great movies guaranteed. The movie theaters nowadays are hit and miss with most being a miss
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Curious if any of you have seen “The Godfather Epic” that they have been showing on HBO the last week or so? It is a new cut of “The Godfather Parts 1 and 2” put in chronological order with a bunch of added scenes that were not in either original movie. It is also shown without commercial interruption which makes it something like 7 hours long in total. I caught a chunk of it over the weekend last weekend and was surprised at the amount of additional footage / scenes that were included not in either original film. I know they did the chronological thing once before back in the late 70’s / early 80’s, but I don’t remember it including all of the cut scenes (could be wrong on that though). Anyway, it was kind of fun to watch, although I did not have time for the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    They should use Caitlyn Jenner for this one.
    Didn't know who she was, but googled her and voila

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Curious if any of you have seen “The Godfather Epic” that they have been showing on HBO the last week or so? It is a new cut of “The Godfather Parts 1 and 2” put in chronological order with a bunch of added scenes that were not in either original movie. It is also shown without commercial interruption which makes it something like 7 hours long in total. I caught a chunk of it over the weekend last weekend and was surprised at the amount of additional footage / scenes that were included not in either original film. I know they did the chronological thing once before back in the late 70’s / early 80’s, but I don’t remember it including all of the cut scenes (could be wrong on that though). Anyway, it was kind of fun to watch, although I did not have time for the whole thing.
    I'm one of the rare who hasn't seen any of The Godfather films from beginning to end, no matter what version. Somehow I'm not rushing either. On the other hand, I like the other two Coppola classics - The Conversation and Apocalypse Now.
    This described chronological version sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    I'm one of the rare who hasn't seen any of The Godfather films from beginning to end, no matter what version. Somehow I'm not rushing either. On the other hand, I like the other two Coppola classics - The Conversation and Apocalypse Now.
    This described chronological version sounds interesting.
    For me the two Godfather films are 2 of the best films of all time. They do look a bit dated now in some ways, but they were amazing pieces of cinema, especially for their time. I am not sure that I have ever seen The Conversation. I liked Apocalypse Now, but thought it had a few flaws. I need to revisit it as it has been a long time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had forgotten Coppola directed The Conversation. Great movie. I've only seen each Godfather movie once, but the first two are great, the third is worth seeing, but is kind of like watching Jaws III. Worth it for the shark scenes.

selmer; "I'm one of the rare who hasn't seen any of The Godfather films from beginning to end"

A serious omission for any film buff. Myself, I prefer I and II in their original cut. Both topnotch in every category.

I've seen plenty of critics who rate Godfather II as the best film in American cinema, ever.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Godfather III pales in comparison to I and II. My favourite is Godfather II but both I and II are groundbreaking films. I've watched the first two several times.

For me the two Godfather films are 2 of the best films of all time. They do look a bit dated now in some ways, but they were amazing pieces of cinema, especially for their time. I am not sure that I have ever seen The Conversation. I liked Apocalypse Now, but thought it had a few flaws. I need to revisit it as it has been a long time.
    The Conversation is really worth seeing at least once. I thought that the scene where Hackman brought his friends/colleagues to his secret "base" was too long but it revealed much more about his character. I think this is one of Hackman's best performances. Maybe even the best. Far more interesting than his character in the French Connection. I thought The Conversation was more about obsession than guilt (how it's often described).
    I agree that Apocalypse Now has some flaws, especially the Redux version which is very long although some of the scenes are fairly good. But I saw the theatrical version after this long Redux version and I prefer the shorter cut - it makes the film smoother and tighter. It would have been interesting to see Eastwood and Mcqueen instead of Brando and Sheen, but both of them wanted to play the short part of Kurtz because of his limited screen time. This has one of my fave Duvall roles, I thought Sheen was good but either Eastwood or particularly Mcqueen would have filled the shoes of Kurtz very well.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    selmer; "I'm one of the rare who hasn't seen any of The Godfather films from beginning to end"

A serious omission for any film buff. Myself, I prefer I and II in their original cut. Both topnotch in every category.
    No argument there from me. I would like to see them all at least for the Gordon Willis cinematography although I think it's hard to top what he did for Pakula in the 70's - Klute, The Parallax View and All The President's Men.

No argument there from me. I would like to see them all at least for the Gordon Willis cinematography although I think it's hard to top what he did for Pakula in the 70's - Klute, The Parallax View and All The President's Men.
    Gordon Willis--The Prince of Darkness indeed. Klute is the film I most want to be released on blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've seen plenty of critics who rate Godfather II as the best film in American cinema, ever.
    It is certainly one of the best sequels ever and may be the better of the two films.

The Conversation is really worth seeing at least once. I thought that the scene where Hackman brought his friends/colleagues to his secret "base" was too long but it revealed much more about his character. I think this is one of Hackman's best performances. Maybe even the best. Far more interesting than his character in the French Connection. I thought The Conversation was more about obsession than guilt (how it's often described).
    I agree that Apocalypse Now has some flaws, especially the Redux version which is very long although some of the scenes are fairly good. But I saw the theatrical version after this long Redux version and I prefer the shorter cut - it makes the film smoother and tighter. It would have been interesting to see Eastwood and Mcqueen instead of Brando and Sheen, but both of them wanted to play the short part of Kurtz because of his limited screen time. This has one of my fave Duvall roles, I thought Sheen was good but either Eastwood or particularly Mcqueen would have filled the shoes of Kurtz very well.
    I will have to check out The Conversation for sure.

I've just tuned into Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous. Seen it many times but I never tire of it.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Love The Godfather and Coppola. I watched the entire "Epic" in a few sittings a few months back. I loved it all, especially seeing the full story of the young Vito, Tessio and Clemenza.

One of my favorite films of all time however is Apocalypse Now. I own both versions on DVD, I dig them out once a year or so. I've also seen Sofia Coppola's documentary about the making of the film "hearts of Darkness", which is a must see for any fan. Making the movie was just as much a clusterfuck as the events in the film, just incredible film making. I even dug up the Conrad book Heart of Darkness, just to see the framework of the story Francis had in mind.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Gordon Willis--The Prince of Darkness indeed. Klute is the film I most want to be released on blu-ray.
    I read somewhere earlier this year that a Blu is/was planned. Should be out sometime if they didn't cancel it.

I will have to check out The Conversation for sure.

Finished watching Almost Famous. What are incredible story that captures the 1970s. Like when Russell, lead guitarist for Stillwater, slips away from the tour because he wants to be with "real people". They meet a group of teens who invite Russell to a party in middle America. He's totally getting into the party and drops acid. The hilarious scene when Russell stands on top of the garage next to the pool. "I'm a Golden God", and the party cheers, then, "I'm on drugs", more cheering. Then he jumps from the garage into the pool and the party goers join him. Every scene captures to mood of rock and roll and life on the road for the middle level rock act in the 1970s. I was at parties like that, minus the rock star. The soundtrack is perfect, Yes, Elton John, Allman Brothers. etc. I'd rate the movie 10/10 - don't know how it could possibly be better.

^^^ Cameron Crowe, having lived it as he did, captured the era perfectly.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    ^^^ Cameron Crowe, having lived it as he did, captured the era perfectly.
    Agreed, great movie.

I read somewhere earlier this year that a Blu is/was planned. Should be out sometime if they didn't cancel it.
    Excellent!