Page 170 of 316 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180220270 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

The wife and I saw "The Invitation" last night in a theater. I thought it was good. It is a slow burn build of suspense. The final scene will probably make the difference if people like the whole film or not. I thought they were going in a different direction than they went.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Man Up was a great call! This is how a romantic comedy should be done. Some real good laughs in here and it was unpredictable like Jerol stated. I've been a big Simon Pegg fan since the awesome TV show 'Spaced'

Also watched What We Do In The Shadows Pretty hilariously stupid take on the vampire scene If you enjoy the humor of 'Flight of the Concords' you'll love this.
    Unavailable for Netflix streaming, alas. However, for a unique take on the vampire genre, check out this one...from Iran of all places... A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Unavailable for Netflix streaming, alas
    I'm getting really frustrated with Netflix's movie selection. At this point I'm liking Amazon Prime for movies, even though some times I have to pay a few bucks.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Bridges of Spies - Okay, I'm a little late to the party but this is a fine movie.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Agreed, watched it the other night, pretty good. I enjoyed Black Mass too but some of that was down to spotting local scenery.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The Walk

Simply an incredible movie!!! You'll find yourself on the edge of your seat.

"The Walk" is a fictionalization of the 2008 movie "Man on a Wire" which is about the real guy who walked between the twin towers, and features real footage of the real guy doing his real walk.

Seems kinda unnecessary to me, really.

Whatever, I still think the movie is excellent.

So was "Man on a Wire." Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    So was "Man on a Wire." Check it out.
    I might do that.

RiffTrax--well there's some stinkers on there. The guy that made Birdemic seems to be a fairly smart guy you can hear him talk over on YT. He just says he wanted to be a film director no matter what.

They missed Samurai Cop though

Goodnight Mommy--Austrian horror, it was okay but didn't like the enigmatic ending.

Get A Life, streamed from Amazon Prime, William Shatner's take on Star Trek fandom.

Creep--indie horror, ok for what it was just don't expect a lot.

Amy--Doc on the Brit singer, well done.

Tangled--Disney animated enjoyed it more than I thought I would have. Well done.

Hush--another horror, sort of home invasion, pretty good.

Netflix has a better selection if you go for the physical disc, I do both that and stream presently, so it covers quite a bit. Still not everything is available.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Netflix has a better selection if you go for the physical disc, I do both that and stream presently, so it covers quite a bit. Still not everything is available.
    Netflix DVD by mail was a major PITA at the time I was subscribed. Defective discs, returns getting "lost" in the mail, yadda yadda yadda. Perhaps the business model has improved over the past 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "The Walk" is a fictionalization of the 2008 movie "Man on a Wire" which is about the real guy who walked between the twin towers, and features real footage of the real guy doing his real walk.

Seems kinda unnecessary to me, really.
    I have not seen "The Walk" yet, but kind have had the same feeling coming so close after "Man On A Wire" which was an excellent documentary. On the other hand everyone I know who has seen "The Walk" has really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Netflix DVD by mail was a major PITA at the time I was subscribed. Defective discs, returns getting "lost" in the mail, yadda yadda yadda. Perhaps the business model has improved over the past 5 years?
    I don't know maybe you were just unlucky. Out of five years I've only had a couple of broken disc, and nothing lost, they've been pretty efficient for me. I did have the rent two disc for a while and a lot of the time they'd send me three.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I don't know maybe you were just unlucky. Out of five years I've only had a couple of broken disc, and nothing lost, they've been pretty efficient for me. I did have the rent two disc for a while and a lot of the time they'd send me three.
    At the time I was subscribed, IIRC there was a 6-disc limit, and I was batting around .750 where it concerned receiving playable discs (and no, it wasn't my DVD player)...often scratched to shit and needing a run through of the Disk Doktor...with maybe every 10th disc return going MIA.

ETA: This could entirely be an issue with the particular distribution facility servicing my area *shrug* - maybe operations have improved since then...
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 04-25-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    What We Do In The Shadows
    Been wanting to see this one badly! Can't find a good deal on a used copy yet.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Just saw Trainwreck last night. Lebron James and Amare Stoudemire cracked me up. Colin Quinn seemed a little too young to be playing the father though, although the MS angle I suppose explains that away...
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 04-25-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Watched Trumbo last night. It's about Hollywood screen writers during the McCarthy era. Interesting flick. I find the timing of this film somewhat apropos given the current political debates.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Sorry, got confused by the fact it was HBO financed movie.

The others you mention I have seen...the Norris movie was ok-ish for the time, but I remember it being seen as an attempt for Norris to do something more conventional rather than the high-kicking revenge types stuff he was known for.

I have not seen Extreme Prejudice since it was released, but my memories is it was not one of Walter Hill's best.

Borderline I have very vague memories of watching on video sometime in the 80's.
    No prob, the film probably has some traits of a TV film anyway so...

Borderline is fine, worth seeing at least for the cast. Not great, not bad, just decent.
    As for Lone Wolf and the Norris stuff, I think his best is Code Of Silence, there are some elements which let it stick out among his other films.
    The thing with Extreme Prejudice is that it is a well liked film among the internet crowd. At least among the films which he made since 48Hrs. In one of his interviews Ironside said that there was an entire sub plot of around 40 minutes which was deleted. Andy Robinson had a big part in them but you don't see him in the current version at all.

Watched Maggie tonight, with Arnold Schwarzeneggar and Abigail Breslin. Damn. This take on the zombie genre (for me that is - YMMV) is kinda what Near Dark did for the vampire genre, albeit in a subdued manner.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...aggie-20150507
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 04-27-2016 at 05:08 AM.

I watched a movie at the recommendation of my oldest son.
    Bone Tomahawk.

Slow build to a very violent climax.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    I watched a movie at the recommendation of my oldest son.
    Bone Tomahawk.

Slow build to a very violent climax.

DtB
    Yeah, we had our support group discussion over that one a few months ago...kudos to whoever it was here who invoked comparison to the Thanksgiving turkey wishbone ritual...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973