Page 166 of 316 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    We've been watching Shameless since the first season. It used to be funny how they always fell into bad decisions and situations, but now it is more tragic than anything else. You could say some of it is bad luck, but they cause much of it with their bad decisions.
    I've only watched the last two seasons. How are the earlier seasons?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I was surprised at the "no reaction," myself.
    I thought you were learning a new language. It is possible that in German, "totes adorbs" means the adorbs are dead. That could be a problem in the world of animorphic animals. Or not. Far be it from me to interfere with your schooling.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd never heard the term before and just assumed you were having another "episode".
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Can never rule that out.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Why is there no outrage that Scott Bails actually said the words "totes adorbs" ??!!

1 out of 10 please never do that agains

That Jungle Book film looks awesome.
    Believe me, I had a reaction - I just kept it to myself and figured he'd self-police.

Trying something new, Jed?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Trying something new, Jed?
    Totes!

A while ago I picked up a 13-Blu Ray set from Werner Herzog and am just starting to get through it, So far I've watched Nosferatu, Heart Of Glass, Aguirre the wrath of God and last night Fitzcaraldo. Part of my interest in this set came from the involvement of Popol Vuh. These are all very "artsy" strange films to say the least but there is something incredibly unique about Herzog's style. Anybody else into this stuff?
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched The Revenant on the big screen. That's the way to see this one. Great movie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Why is there no outrage that Scott Bails actually said the words "totes adorbs" ??!!

1 out of 10 please never do that agains
    Is this part of that made-up Magma language?

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched The Revenant on the big screen. That's the way to see this one. Great movie.
    I saw it recently, too. I wasn't impressed. I mean, it was a good movie, if a bit too long, but I didn't consider it deserved an Oscar nomination. And I'd go so far as to say Leo didn't deserve to win the Oscar, either. He was good but it wasn't an Oscar worthy performance and I find it hard to believe Bryan Cranston, Eddie Redmayne, and Michael Fassbender weren't just as good.

The same for Bridge of Spies (I keep wanting to say/type Bridge of Sighs. lol). Again, a good movie, but a bit too long and didn't deserve an Oscar nod. The humor was a good addition but there wasn't really any tension in the movie and I actually "shut my eyes" a couple of times (the same for The Revenant). Mark Rylance was excellent in it but I thought Tom Hardy was just as good in The Revenant and I'm sure Christian Bale & Mark Ruffalo were just as good in their performances.

Saw Sicario not too long ago, too. I thought it was probably the best of the three but I'd still only grade it a B+... maybe an A–.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

He Never Died

This was a bizarre Netflix watch the other night. Stars Henry Rollins as an emotionless loner. Completely dead pan
    throughout the entire movie. Seems like all he does is sleep and visit the little diner a few blocks from his apartment.
    He doesn't drink, nor eat meat. His world gets a very serious curve ball when a 19 year old girl shows up at his door,
    who turns out to be his daughter. No additional details, as it would result in spoilers. Suffice to say, Henry can take a
    hell of a beating, stabbing, and shooting without dying. Rollins nails this role and even manages to inject some humor
    at times. Give this a shot if you want something different. It is dark, violent, and at times funny. Worth a view!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Got around to seeing Deadpool. You know you like a movie when is moves by really fast. Great sense of humour, gritty, the most intense Marvel flick I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    A while ago I picked up a 13-Blu Ray set from Werner Herzog and am just starting to get through it, So far I've watched Nosferatu, Heart Of Glass, Aguirre the wrath of God and last night Fitzcaraldo. Part of my interest in this set came from the involvement of Popol Vuh. These are all very "artsy" strange films to say the least but there is something incredibly unique about Herzog's style. Anybody else into this stuff?
    I've seen some parts of Nosferatu and Fitzcaraldo. I liked how the character walked through the mountains and the palace in the first film. I haven't seen it in a while so don't remember much. But I liked that there were a lot of scenes with no dialogue, no action, just a man walking and we as spectators following him.
    There is a polish film critic who spoke a bit about Fitzcaraldo vs Aguirre and he said that Fitzcaraldo is a pretentious film and that he thinks Aguire is much better. It's interesting that he also said a lot of films have better "Making of..." documentaries than the films themselves.
    Have you seen anything from Tarkovsky? It's interesting that you say Herzog is artsy, strange. My guess is most think that way also about Tarkovsky, Lynch, Gilliam or Cronenberg's earlier stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I saw it recently, too. I wasn't impressed. I mean, it was a good movie, if a bit too long, but I didn't consider it deserved an Oscar nomination. And I'd go so far as to say Leo didn't deserve to win the Oscar, either. He was good but it wasn't an Oscar worthy performance and I find it hard to believe Bryan Cranston, Eddie Redmayne, and Michael Fassbender weren't just as good.

The same for Bridge of Spies (I keep wanting to say/type Bridge of Sighs. lol). Again, a good movie, but a bit too long and didn't deserve an Oscar nod. The humor was a good addition but there wasn't really any tension in the movie and I actually "shut my eyes" a couple of times (the same for The Revenant). Mark Rylance was excellent in it but I thought Tom Hardy was just as good in The Revenant and I'm sure Christian Bale & Mark Ruffalo were just as good in their performances.

Saw Sicario not too long ago, too. I thought it was probably the best of the three but I'd still only grade it a B+... maybe an A–.
    Two of the most famous Oscar discussions involve the Tommy Lee Jones Vs Ralph Fiennes in 1993 where Jones won for The Fugitive but to this day many say that Fiennes should have won for Schindler's List. The same with The Sting vs The Exorcist in 1973 where The Sting won but a lot of folks on the net claim that The Exorcist should have won because it's a movie everyone remembers (not so much with The Sting, they claim). It's all so subjective.
    I haven't seen The Revanant yet but I think that Di Caprio is a decent actor, screen personality and film star all in one. I don't think there are many who are on par with him these days. I have no clue how good he was here but I also haven't seen any of the other performances to judge.
    I think that to nominate Mad Max as Best Picture was odd.
    I want to see Bridge Of Spies and also Spotlight but the later one seems like a rip off of All The Presiden't Men in form and structure if not in story. I have only seen the trailer but to me Stanley Tucci looked like playing the part which Hal Holbrook played in Men. All The President's Men could have won in 1976 but then there was Rocky.
    Btw, I recently saw a discussion where one of the critics said that some of these Oscar nominees for Best Picture are good films but none of them stand out as Best Picture candidates, she said that they don't stand out in the context of the decade or maybe even a longer period. Another one said that there's a crisis in film industry because there's a serious lack of quality films and these Oscar nominees prove it. There are all kinds of opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    I haven't seen The Revanant yet but I think that Di Caprio is a decent actor, screen personality and film star all in one. I don't think there are many who are on par with him these days.
    If you want to see what DiCaprio is capable of, watch What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Zootopia - 3.5-stars. My fiancee reminded having seen it previously, there was a clear-cut Breaking Bad reference (in more than 1 way).

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you want to see what DiCaprio is capable of, watch What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
    Haven't seen it, will check it out, but for me he started to get into groove around the time of Catch Me If You Can.

Watched the last Hunger Games flick a few nights ago. Not too bad, but I was a little underwhelmed. Overall I enjoyed this series though.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I've seen some parts of Nosferatu and Fitzcaraldo. I liked how the character walked through the mountains and the palace in the first film. I haven't seen it in a while so don't remember much. But I liked that there were a lot of scenes with no dialogue, no action, just a man walking and we as spectators following him.
    There is a polish film critic who spoke a bit about Fitzcaraldo vs Aguirre and he said that Fitzcaraldo is a pretentious film and that he thinks Aguire is much better. It's interesting that he also said a lot of films have better "Making of..." documentaries than the films themselves.
    Have you seen anything from Tarkovsky? It's interesting that you say Herzog is artsy, strange. My guess is most think that way also about Tarkovsky, Lynch, Gilliam or Cronenberg's earlier stuff.
    Haven't seen anything by Tarkovsky but have seen a few from each of the others. I think Aguire is the better film also, very haunting, especially the end. The Herzog documentary in this set detailing his relationship with Kinski is really good also. I think they were both kind of mad.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Haven't seen anything by Tarkovsky but have seen a few from each of the others. I think Aguire is the better film also, very haunting, especially the end. The Herzog documentary in this set detailing his relationship with Kinski is really good also. I think they were both kind of mad.
    I got the box set too...so far have watched Fitzcarraldo, Aguirre, Kasper Hauser, Little Dieter needs to fly...they are never less than interesting though can sometimes be a bit of a chore to watch. You get the impression Herzog was very much an idealist and something of an obsessive who was never quite able to realise his visions on screen.

Actually, I often find the docs on his movies more fascinating than the movies themselves, such as Les Blank's excellent Burden of Dreams, about the making if Fitzcarraldo...with scenes of Jason Robards originally cast in the title role, and Mick Jagger as his assistant...both of whom dropped out later.

Then there is My Best Fiend, about Herzog's volatile relationship with Klaus Kinski.

Also...fascinating, though not sure I would recommend it...Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe...in which Herzog fulfils a bet with documentary filmmaker Errol Morris that he would never make a movie...
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Check out Herzog's Grizzly Man as well, a fascinating documentary.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yes! The part at the end of Aguirre with the camera shot rotating around the raft with Aguirre on it, and that haunting Popol Vuh mellotron music playing is fantastic. The whole movie is great. I've only seen some of Fitzcaraldo but need to finish it. Herzog is very interesting. Watch the documentary about Herzog and Klaus Kinsky (My Best Fiend) if it's in your set. Fascinating stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He's great in The Wolf of Wall Street.

Two of the most famous Oscar discussions involve the Tommy Lee Jones Vs Ralph Fiennes in 1993 where Jones won for The Fugitive but to this day many say that Fiennes should have won for Schindler's List. The same with The Sting vs The Exorcist in 1973 where The Sting won but a lot of folks on the net claim that The Exorcist should have won because it's a movie everyone remembers (not so much with The Sting, they claim). It's all so subjective.
    I haven't seen The Revanant yet but I think that Di Caprio is a decent actor, screen personality and film star all in one. I don't think there are many who are on par with him these days. I have no clue how good he was here but I also haven't seen any of the other performances to judge.
    I think that to nominate Mad Max as Best Picture was odd.
    I want to see Bridge Of Spies and also Spotlight but the later one seems like a rip off of All The Presiden't Men in form and structure if not in story. I have only seen the trailer but to me Stanley Tucci looked like playing the part which Hal Holbrook played in Men. All The President's Men could have won in 1976 but then there was Rocky.
    Btw, I recently saw a discussion where one of the critics said that some of these Oscar nominees for Best Picture are good films but none of them stand out as Best Picture candidates, she said that they don't stand out in the context of the decade or maybe even a longer period. Another one said that there's a crisis in film industry because there's a serious lack of quality films and these Oscar nominees prove it. There are all kinds of opinions.
    Man, The Sting was dead boring to me, but I was only 10 years old - not sure why my mother took me to it. She made it up though by taking me to see Fantastic Planet, which I loved. I need to see that again - I think it was life changingly trippy and weird, actually.