Page 15 of 316 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    For those with Blueray, is it worth it? Is there a very noticable differance compared to DVDs?
    It's like remastered music, sometimes an improvement and sometimes not so much.

The Bluray of Jaws which came out last year is ridiculously great.

They painstakingly cleaned that thing up frame by frame!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I watched Oblivion last night, and I honestly think that if it were not for the amazing CGI and Olga Kurylenko, I would have shut the film off half way through. Even Morgan Freeman's slightly long cameo didn't add much of anything interesting to the drama.

The whole way through I just couldn't stop thinking: 2001 A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica; where else have I seen all this before? And, Cruise's signature near-non-emotive delivery just didn't do anything to carry the character. They could have switched him with Keanu Reeves, and I don't think anyone would have noticed the difference. (Yeah, I realise Jack was supposed to be an alien clone, but he was also supposed to be getting his "human" back on).
    I saw it in I-Max 3D and it was pretty spectacular, but yea I agree it basically borrowed from just about every major sci fi movie in the last 20 years. I thought Cruise was ok.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I saw it in I-Max 3D and it was pretty spectacular
    I think it's one of those movies where the format >>> the story. I saw it in IMAX and was really impressed visually and sonically, but the story was kinda "meh."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wondered if anyone saw The Lone Ranger or Tim Burton's Dark Shadows?

Here's a link from the Guardian's 40 best directors.

I enjoyed 'Dark Shadows' - thought it was fun and great to look at. Not interested in seeing 'The Lone Ranger'.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Finally saw World War Z - it had virtually nothing to do with the book but a couple of the set pieces (zombies on the plane, retrieving the pathogen in the labs) were really well done.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I didn't read the book, and I'm guessing that I enjoyed the movie much more than those who did.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Watched "Man of Tai Chi" last night. Keanu Reeves' directorial début, and MAN! was it a whole lot of meh.

It's a shaky amalgam of Enter the Dragon and The Truman Show, with Reeves as the evil tournament boss. Somehow they made Tiger Hu Chen look and act like Reeves' Chinese sibling.

It was hyped a bit too much for what it delivers, and Reeves just still can't pull of any emotion--even when he tries.

The choreography was interesting, except when Reeves' awkwardly stiff martial "skills" make the last scene look more like comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Watched "Man of Tai Chi" last night.
    It was hyped a bit too much for what it delivers
    Really?!!! I've never heard of it!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I have a movie question. I was watching a trailer on a DVD for a presumably new movie. It looked like something I would like to see. Unfortunately, I have already forgotten the name of it. It seemed to be about an older Butch Cassidy in Bolivia. Can't recall any actors' names either. Tried using "Butch Cassidy" in a search on Imdb and wikipedia and a search engine and turned up nothing recent enough to be what I saw advertised in the trailer. Maybe it hasn't been released yet. Anyone know what movie I am talking about?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Looks like you are looking for 'Blackthorn'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1629705/?ref_=sr_2

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Wondered if anyone saw The Lone Ranger or Tim Burton's Dark Shadows?

Here's a link from the Guardian's 40 best directors.
    I thought “Dark Shadows” was better than most of the critics did. It made a lot of “top 10 worst movies” of the year last year. It was not great, but not terrible either.

Steve Sly

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Looks like you are looking for 'Blackthorn'
    Thanks, Lou.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I watched Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan. It was decent, but thought it would be closer to the book. The cinematography was great, the story though didn't follow the book that closely, and after Tarzan made it over to England it got a bit goofy. It was okay.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We watched A good day to die hard tonight and it is one of the worst movies i've ever seen
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    We watched A good day to die hard tonight and it is one of the worst movies i've ever seen
    So....just as expected?

Banned
    Did you think it was gonna be something other than it was, or were you turned off by the touchy-feely father/daughter/son sub-plot? Jeezus, man. It's a rock 'em sock 'em blow 'em up flick. Not classic cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Did you think it was gonna be something other than it was, or were you turned off by the touchy-feely father/daughter/son sub-plot? Jeezus, man. It's a rock 'em sock 'em blow 'em up flick. Not classic cinema.
    I like rock em sock em blow up flicks. I like Die Hard movies, even on the lowbrow level of these types of movies it was no fun, in fact it was boring. And I'm a guy who owns Big Trouble In Little China.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Did you like the movie? I did, but I will admit that I like the first three better. I did read a "professional" reviews for this one, and one said that did not like this one or Live Free Or Die Hard for the same reason: the mushy moments seemed contrived. In case of the last two films, John reconnects with an estranged offspring. At the beginning of both movies, the kids just call him John. By the end, they address him as dad.

Banned
    And I'm a guy who owns Big Trouble In Little China.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    the mushy moments seemed contrived. In case of the last two films, John reconnects with an estranged offspring. At the beginning of both movies, the kids just call him John. By the end, they address him as dad.
    Yeah? And they drove cars off bridges, onto other cars and over other cars without causing a dent or a flat. They dangled from helicopters and lived through explosions without a scratch. Contrived? Really? So what's your point? We're not exactly talkin' John Huston, dude.

They went into & out of Chernobyl without ever donning a hazmat suit
    Ian

Banned
    Yeah? And they drove cars off bridges, onto other cars and over other cars without causing a dent or a flat. They dangled from helicopters and lived through explosions without a scratch. Contrived? Really? So what's your point? We're not exactly talkin' John Huston, dude.
    Again, what's your problem? Did you not read the part of my post where I stated that I was just repeating what a critic said, and that I like all Die Hard movies? Take a chill pill, take five away from the computer, and calm down. My favorite part of LFDH is where McClaine took out a helicopter with a car. His response to Justin Long was funny: "I ran out of bullets".

It's Hollywood, no-one ever runs out of bullets.
    Ian

"Do ya feel lucky, punk?"