Page 133 of 316 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I haven't seen that one, but I know what you mean. Sometimes having a good set of abs can be as much a curse for an actor as a blessing; it's very easy for them to be typecast.
    not a Gilliam fan I take it?
    12 Monkeys is one of his better films, but he does tend to be hit or miss
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like his stuff generally, Brazil, Time Bandits and Fear & Loathing are great stuff
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I loved the Saw movies.

The Stranger

An Eli Roth movie that is more of a suspense/thriller than horror. A unique take on the vampire genre. I thought
    it was entertaining, and well worth a view.

Curse of Chucky

The latest in the Chucky series, I think. (2013) A lot better than I expected. If you are even a slight fan of Chucky, this is better
    than most of the previous sequels.
    The first Child's Play is alright, the problem with the sequels could be the same as with the Halloween, Elm Street, Friday The 13th, Hellraiser, Puppet Master or any other film series that have endless sequels. It wears out. Soon there'll be a new reboot of Elm Street and new sequels, remakes or whatever to Halloween and Friday The 13th. There's even a Friday The 13th TV series being developped. There was also some talk of Clive Barker doing some reimagining of Hellraiser.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    not a Gilliam fan I take it?
    12 Monkeys is one of his better films, but he does tend to be hit or miss
    Maybe, but he sure had a great run of films throughout the '80s and into the mid '90s. The Fisher King, Brazil and The 12 Monkeys are amongst my favorite films.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Maybe, but he sure had a great run of films throughout the '80s and into the mid '90s. The Fisher King, Brazil and The 12 Monkeys are amongst my favorite films.
    Those are all great movies! Great one liners too. For Brazil, "We're all in it together"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Just in case anyone missed it-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Mad Max: Fury Road

Not a fan of apocalyptic movies, and not even a mild fan of the previous 3, except for the first.

But I spotted this DVD in the library for free, and now I know what the hype was all about. Friggin awesome action, plus loads of belly laughs, I had a great time. Loved it.

Six out of six "Breeders".
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Just in case anyone missed it-
    If nothing else, all the trailers seem to show that it's well filmed. As for the rest, we'll have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Mad Max: Fury Road

Not a fan of apocalyptic movies, and not even a mild fan of the previous 3, except for the first.

But I spotted this DVD in the library for free, and now I know what the hype was all about. Friggin awesome action, plus loads of belly laughs, I had a great time. Loved it.

Six out of six "Breeders".
    Damn, dude. What was the hold-up? I'm glad I saw it in the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    If nothing else, all the trailers seem to show that it's well filmed. As for the rest, we'll have to wait.
    Yeah, it looks damned good. So did Star Trek Into Darkness, and you know what happened there! We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Yeah, it looks damned good. So did Star Trek Into Darkness, and you know what happened there! We shall see.
    Actually the irony is that I don't know what happened there. One of the new Treks was on TV and I managed to watch some bits. It all left a totally uninspiring feeling, but since I haven't seen any of those recent ones in full, I can't comment properly. A total contrast to that was Wrath Of Khan which I saw for the first time. I expected some nonsense, but thought that it was a really good movie. I don't remember when was the last time something from the new sci-fi was this kind of a revelation/discovery.

I've enjoyed the Star Trek reboots, just sayin'.

It's close to Halloween, so:

Amityville II: The Possession--pretty good prequel (could this be one of the first prequels? I dunno), where it's a mix of The Exorcist and sort of Poltergeist, sort of. Overall worth a watch.

Amityville 3D--Tony Roberts, Candy Clark, Meg Ryan and some other big named stars, continues the mythos of the haunted house. Not quite as good as the first two, but worth a watch if you like Amityvillle.

Fright Night - the remake. Actually I don't care much for remakes, but I thought this one was better than the original. It's about a vampire who lives next door.

The Exorcist- still one of the best possession films.

R-Point--J horror that takes place in Vietnam and is a blending of several things. Pretty worthwhile.

We Are Still Here--sort of a throw back to some of Fulci's films where a couple become the victim of evil spirits in a house.

Candyman: A Farewell to the Flesh--Clive Barker sequel taking place in New Orleans about the folklore of a man turned into a monster due to a transgression.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I've enjoyed the Star Trek reboots, just sayin'.

It's close to Halloween, so:

Amityville II: The Possession--pretty good prequel (could this be one of the first prequels? I dunno), where it's a mix of The Exorcist and sort of Poltergeist, sort of. Overall worth a watch.

Amityville 3D--Tony Roberts, Candy Clark, Meg Ryan and some other big named stars, continues the mythos of the haunted house. Not quite as good as the first two, but worth a watch if you like Amityvillle.

Fright Night - the remake. Actually I don't care much for remakes, but I thought this one was better than the original. It's about a vampire who lives next door.

The Exorcist- still one of the best possession films.

R-Point--J horror that takes place in Vietnam and is a blending of several things. Pretty worthwhile.

We Are Still Here--sort of a throw back to some of Fulci's films where a couple become the victim of evil spirits in a house.

Candyman: A Farewell to the Flesh--Clive Barker sequel taking place in New Orleans about the folklore of a man turned into a monster due to a transgression.
    I haven't seen the Fright Night remake but some people told me that it's doesn't have any of the heart and creativity that the original had.
    I saw We Are Still Here as well, it wasn't bad. Nothing great but watchable.

I haven't seen the Fright Night remake but some people told me that it's doesn't have any of the heart and creativity that the original had.
    I saw We Are Still Here as well, it wasn't bad. Nothing great but watchable.
    Fright Night Rel 1 was a horror-comedy offering. The reboot was straight out horror with Colin Farrell channeling his inner Jack Torrence/Christopher Lee in his take as opposed to Chris Sarandon's Frank Langella/Bela Legosi charmer vampire.

All of this IMO, YMMV, etc etc

Now wanting to see We Are Still Here...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Fright Night Rel 1 was a horror-comedy offering. The reboot was straight out horror with Colin Farrell channeling his inner Jack Torrence/Christopher Lee in his take as opposed to Chris Sarandon's Frank Langella/Bela Legosi charmer vampire.

All of this IMO, YMMV, etc etc

Now wanting to see We Are Still Here...
    I don't know if it's true but I remember reading that there was some kind of a conversation on the net between Farrell and fans and he said that he likes the original very much, but the remake...But I have no idea if this is true so don't quote me on that.
    We Are Still Here is mostly a slow burn movie, something between a haunted house and those old dark house movies. Not great, but the main characters are not teens and the director said that his intention was to make a film about mature, grown up people, he even compared his intentions to that George C. Scott film The Changeling.

We Are Still Here is mostly a slow burn movie, something between a haunted house and those old dark house movies. Not great, but the main characters are not teens and the director said that his intention was to make a film about mature, grown up people, he even compared his intentions to that George C. Scott film The Changeling.
    Worth checking out based on this, thanks!
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Worth checking out based on this, thanks!
    It's very small scale and with a visibly tight budget but worth seeing at least once.

George C. Scott film The Changeling.
    A personal favorite of mine. One of the better ghost stories in my opinion. Speaking of ghost stories I highly recommend A Tale of Two Sisters. Great story and great visually. Those Asians just know how to give me chills.

Some other ghost stories I liked off the top of my head are The Orphanage and The Devils Backbone
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The Evil from 1978 was an interesting one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzmugyylbMQ

Man, you guys are awesome with the Halloween recs. I'm not a big horror guy, but who doesn't love a scary movie this time of year?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Some other ghost stories I liked off the top of my head are The Orphanage and The Devils Backbone
    Yeah, it's hard to top those two.

I thought I was the only one that remembers The Changeling with George C Scott. I might have to track that one down again. It's been years since we've watched that. For those who prefer a bloodless but still gripping ghost story I would suggest The Others with the sumptuous Nicole Kidman or The Lady in White.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

ooh I forgot about The Lady in White. I really liked that when I was younger. I wonder if it still holds up? The Changeling certainly does!

No love for the original 1978 mind-f*ck Day of the Woman, or as it's more commonly known, I Spit on Your Grave?

I remember watching that with a bunch of friends back in the day high as a kite. Talk about an instant buzzkill!! Same goes for Last House on the Left and the more recent Wolf Creek