Page 130 of 316 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180230 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I got Mad Max: Fury Road on DVD last week. This weekend, I tried to download my digital copy and ran smack into the idiocy of Warner Brothers' Ultraviolet. What a piece of shit. I posted a long rant on my blog but the short story is that an illegal download of the movie would have been easier than the hoops I had to jump through. These content providers cannot figure out the new digital world order to save their lives.

Blog post if you want the full rant:

https://jeroljohnson.wordpress.com/2...raviolet-fury/
    Well, yeah, some "interesting" stuff happens even in the movie business world Sorry to hear that.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Speaking of Crichton, I read his last book, "Micro" (he actually passed away before finishing it and another writer had to write the end), and all I kept thinking was that it would make a great sci-fi/horror flick. I wonder if that will ever happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Here you go. I somehow remember that it was announced some months ago so looked it up:
    http://www.imdb.com/news/ni58739481/
    I didn't enjoy the book much but I could see it a a B grade blockbuster.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Ugh, why.
    There was an interview with Scott and Christian Bale about the making of Exodus. The young girl who interviewed them had no idea what Blade Runner was. I haven't seen the video but so I read. I think she said that she's too young to have seen a film like that. I don't remember the circumstances of how exactly the conversation shifted to BR but I think that at one point Bale asked "Haven't you seen Blade Runner?" She said no. I think Scott wasn't very impressed with the answer, Bale was easier about it.
    Sure, that's only one example but I wouldn't be surprised if some folks know Scott for Black Hawk Down, Amrerican Gangster or Gladiator, maybe even Kingdom Of Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I didn't enjoy the book much but I could see it a a B grade blockbuster.
    The idea seems similar to that Rick Moranis fantasy comedy Honey I shrunk the kids.

The idea seems similar to that Rick Moranis fantasy comedy Honey I shrunk the kids.
    Exactly; it's a serious, suspenseful and violent version of Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Sounds like it'd be stupid, but I thought it was good! I'll be checking the movie out when it's released.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Exactly; it's a serious, suspenseful and violent version of Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Sounds like it'd be stupid, but I thought it was good! I'll be checking the movie out when it's released.
    There are some other sci-fi's coming up, like the one from Besson with Clive Owen and another (for which I don't remember the title but the story was about robots) produced by the guy who in the late 1980's and early 1990's was behind the Carolco company which made Terminator 2. He's making some kind of a comeback, maybe even under the Carolco name but I'm not sure about the later.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Even more curious is the fact that I've read some opinions on those series and some say that they're closer to the spirit of the book. I can't comment on the quality as I haven't seen the series. It was on TV but didn't look too good.
    I recently saw a bit of the Kubrick version and liked it more than I thought I would (some years back thought it was just alright). Those late 70's early 80's horror movies are interesting because of the vibe alone.
    If you have not checked it out already, the article I linked is a real good look at King's issues with Kubrick. Seems it boils down to his belief that Kubrick did not "like" the supernatural nature of the hotel itself, and therefore focused more on Jack and the demons within, reinforced by Stephen's belief that Nicholson was the wrong choice for Jack since he was coming right off of Cuckoo's Nest with a career defining role as a nutcase.

In the godawful TV version, King tried to literally stick to his script, with no apparent knowledge of the obvious advantage of film: Show Don't Tell.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    If you have not checked it out already, the article I linked is a real good look at King's issues with Kubrick. Seems it boils down to his belief that Kubrick did not "like" the supernatural nature of the hotel itself, and therefore focused more on Jack and the demons within, reinforced by Stephen's belief that Nicholson was the wrong choice for Jack since he was coming right off of Cuckoo's Nest with a career defining role as a nutcase.

In the godawful TV version, King tried to literally stick to his script, with no apparent knowledge of the obvious advantage of film: Show Don't Tell.
    Will check out the article as soon as I'll have more time.
    To be honest, to some degree I can understand King. Kubrick's film really does focus on Nicholson's character and his craziness/"hallucinations". I think that mostly throughout the film it's Nicholson who sees the ghosts (sometimes his son as well) and only at the end Duvall's character runs into one of the rooms and sees some corpses. If a viewer experiences the film for the first time and hasn't had the luxury of reading the book, he/she could assume that it's all in some characters imagination and that the hotel is only a background.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Will check out the article as soon as I'll have more time.
    Yes, you should check the article out. Keep in mind, it does compare the two versions, one of which you have not seen. Nor should you waste 4.5 hours of your time. All it takes is one minute and 21 seconds:

Brutal.

(Although Rebecca DeMornay > Shelly Duvall)

To be honest, to some degree I can understand King. Kubrick's film really does focus on Nicholson's character and his craziness/"hallucinations". I think that mostly throughout the film it's Nicholson who sees the ghosts (sometimes his son as well) and only at the end Duvall's character runs into one of the rooms and sees some corpses. If a viewer experiences the film for the first time and hasn't had the luxury of reading the book, he/she could assume that it's all in some characters imagination and that the hotel is only a background.
    Look, I'm one of those who experienced the film without reading the book and I had no problem at all with seeing the hotel itself as a malignant influence on Jack.

Much easier to understand King's complaint as mere jealousy. Kubrick's film is considered one of the very best ever, because of Kubrick's fabulous film-making skills, and Nicholson's stellar and genre defining performance. King is the mere source of the material in this case, not the headliner. Which explains the jealous resentment towards Kubrick.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 10-05-2015 at 07:08 PM.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I wouldn't be surprised if some folks know Scott for Black Hawk Down, Amrerican Gangster or Gladiator, maybe even Kingdom Of Heaven.
    All great films. I think his most overlooked film is his first one - The Duellists - which for me is among his best.
    Tu veux un camembert?

Caught a screening of the upcoming Tina Fey/Amy Poehler comedy, "Sisters" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1850457/?ref_=nv_sr_1 ) this afternoon. Very funny in that over-the-top toilet bowl humor sort of movie that usually features some guys/buddies. Clever writing. They obviously had a great time filming this and probably spent most of the time trying to stop laughing during takes. SNL pals Maya Rudolph and Rachel Dratch had some good roles, but wrestling star John Cena stole the show as a drug dealer.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Yes, you should check the article out. Keep in mind, it does compare the two versions, one of which you have not seen. Nor should you waste 4.5 hours of your time. All it takes is one minute and 21 seconds:

Brutal.

(Although Rebecca DeMornay > Shelly Duvall)

Look, I'm one of those who experienced the film without reading the book and I had no problem at all with seeing the hotel itself as a malignant influence on Jack.

Much easier to understand King's complaint as mere jealousy. Kubrick's film is considered one of the very best ever, because of Kubrick's fabulous film-making skills, and Nicholson's stellar and genre defining performance. King is the mere source of the material in this case, not the headliner. Which explains the jealous resentment towards Kubrick.
    I still haven't read the book and think the film is fine. Not my favourite, not even among the favourite horror films from that year, there are several other greats, but it's fine. As for King's opinions - we can only speculate why he said what he said. Whenever I stumble upon opinions on films based on books the absolute majority is hardly complimentary about the end result. So King isn't alone, the difference in this case is that he is directly or indirectly involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    All great films. I think his most overlooked film is his first one - The Duellists - which for me is among his best.
    I've only seen Black Hawk Down and it was fine. There is a lot of positive feedback on The Duellists, even saying it's as good as the next two films he made.
    I've never seen Legend, but have seen both Someone To Watch Over Me and Black Rain. Berenger was so awkward in the first one, but Black Rain is decent even with all the problems it has.

Batman Begins
    -Next time when someone makes a film which has Rutger Hauer in it, please - give him more screen time and something more to work with. He and Oldman made this movie.
    -The movie was interesting, I was surprised at that.
    -It matters how an actor behaves not only when he's in the mask but also without it. Bale was decent with it but without it he appeared to be overtrying to act. From what I have seen from the two trailers for Batman Vs Superman, Affleck will be fine in both compartments.

The Living Daylights/Licence To Kill
    -If only Dalton stayed longer, but then again I have never been the biggest Goldeneye fan. I think he has said that he never wanted to be a big leading superstar, a bit like Guy Pearce who said something along those lines.
    -I liked both of the films, but wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly related to Dalton's undeniable screen presence and charisma. There aren't many actors today who are capable to play any kind of character like that. There's so much that he gave to that role.
    -Seems like Licence To Kill was trying to bring onboard as many familiar character actors as possible, I even lost count.

Also caught a bit of Die Hard
    -Alexander Godunov is fantastic. I also remember him from Witness and Money Pit.
    -No comment on Rickman. All that had to be said was said a long time ago.
    -Special mention to Jan De Bont's excellent cinematography.
    -There is nothing that was made in the 2000's and 2010's action wise that can be even compared to those films that were made in the 60's, 70's and 80's and partially 90's.

Back to modern De Niro... watched "Grudge Match" tonight and enjoyed it. Yeah, it had its tacky moments, but it was fun watching De Niro and Stallone play off each other, and I always love Alan Arkin.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Back to modern De Niro... watched "Grudge Match" tonight and enjoyed it. Yeah, it had its tacky moments, but it was fun watching De Niro and Stallone play off each other, and I always love Alan Arkin.
    I thought it was watchable but I don't know if I'll watch it again.
    There was another comedy starring De Niro, Douglas, Freeman and Kline - Last Vegas. That one was a bit better.
    I think the comedy genre is hardly in the best state (not only in America). I suspect there are some good movies that I haven't seen though.
    As for Stallone (or Schwarzenegger) in their later years - Escape Plan was very good.

Both Grudge Match and Escape Plan were quite watchable, Grudge Match the better of the 2 IMO. Kim Bassinger is ageless.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Both Grudge Match and Escape Plan were quite watchable, Grudge Match the better of the 2 IMO. Kim Bassinger is ageless.
    I like the 80's Basinger the best. Something like Never Say Never Again, although Barbara Carrera had the more interesting character there...
    I prefer Escape Plan, liked those Stallone plans - how he planned to escape, how he went through the options in his mind. I think that Escape Plan is both Schwarzenegger's and Stallone's best movie in their later years. Of those that I've seen. I haven't seen Rocky Balboa, but didn't like the fourth Rambo at all and Bullet To The Head was even more awful. Couldn't believe it was made by Walter Hill. I like all three Expandables more or less and liked the Schwarz flick The Last Stand. Haven't seen Sabotage or Terminator Genisys. Soon the Rocky semi-sequel Creed will be out.

Watched a horror double feature last night, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74) and The Hills Have Eyes (77) .
    Both genre changing films by two young director/writers, Tobe Hooper and Wes Craven (rip).
    Great stuff!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Watched a horror double feature last night, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74) and The Hills Have Eyes (77) .
    Both great! I was obsessed with that type of horror film when I was a kid/teenager. Saw plenty of the terrrible, low-budget ones as well as the classics. Most new horror trailers I see remind me that horror is not what it used to be. Too much reliance on sudden, jarring noises and that thing they do where it's a split second of noise and then silence. Not sure if there's a name for that, but it's been done to death.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Both great! I was obsessed with that type of horror film when I was a kid/teenager. Saw plenty of the terrrible, low-budget ones as well as the classics. Most new horror trailers I see remind me that horror is not what it used to be. Too much reliance on sudden, jarring noises and that thing they do where it's a split second of noise and then silence. Not sure if there's a name for that, but it's been done to death.
    Jump scares? And yes, I agree with you both. Those films are classics!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Toss in Last House on the Left for nostalgia's sake.

I think there's some solid horrors out there still. Not mainstream, but independent.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Anyone that's like me and loves the true spirit of Halloween would probably enjoy 'Trick r Treat'. I love it as it's horror/comedy and gets into the lore of the holiday. It's a staple in the Klonk household this time of year.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak