Page 12 of 316 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    If Isla had a snaggletooth, then she might be hot.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not sure what you're getting at here, but I never thought Ms. Kidder was remotely hot
    You're hard to please, then...

and Amy Adams has been nominated four times for an Oscar (among many other awards that she has won).
    Tom Cruise has been nominated for at least three Oscars. I rest my case.

Banned
    I like women with slight imperfections. "Barbie Dolls" bore the shit out of me. I once had a girlfriend who was a twin, but she had a small chip in a front tooth which kinda gave her a sexy look with attitude. What can I say? Sometimes wierd shit can be a turn-on.

You're hard to please, then...
    Good. You keep "Crazy Margot," I'll take Ms. Adams, please.

Tom Cruise has been nominated for at least three Oscars. I rest my case.
    You can rest your case all you want. IMO, Cruise is a very underrated actor who should have won an Oscar by now.

I like women with slight imperfections. "Barbie Dolls" bore the shit out of me. I once had a girlfriend who was a twin, but she had a small chip in a front tooth which kinda gave her a sexy look with attitude. What can I say? Sometimes wierd shit can be a turn-on.
    Explains your attraction to Margot Kidder.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Cruise should have one Oscars for what?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Rainman or Born on the 4th of July, off the top of my head. I haven't seen all of his movies. Many of them, of course, are action-oriented, so they wouldn't even get a sniff, and I'm not suggesting that he's been stellar in every film (few have), but some of his performances have been excellent, IMO.

Banned
    Not sure what you're getting at here, but I never thought Ms. Kidder was remotely hot, and Amy Adams has been nominated four times for an Oscar (among many other awards that she has won).
    I'm with Scott on this one.

Banned

You can rest your case all you want. IMO, Cruise is a very underrated actor who should have won an Oscar by now.
    I don't see it. Cruise has been playing an ageing Joel Goodsen in every single role he's been in. With the sole exception being the first 20 minutes of The Firm, after which he reverted to the same-ole' pigeon-holed delivery.

I think he's a lousy actor.

But, I agree with you on Margot Kidder and Amy Adams.

Banquo - believe me, I think he's nuttier than a fruitcake. I just think he's a talented nut.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I thought Cruise was excellent in Magnolia. But then again, PT Anderson can direct anyone to greatness. Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love anyone?

I saw The Great Gatsby - (great sets, interesting look, wrong feel and kind of bone-headedly simple interpretation) last weekend. I saw This Is The End this weekend. I found the first half or so to be very funny, but they didn't really know what to do with the concept after it had reached a certain point, and it was a lot less funny in the second half.

It also didn't really follow through with its own biblical logic, but I guess the writers were all Jewish, so that isn't exactly surprising.

Tom Cruise plays every role the same way, cocky and melodramatic.

His 80s stuff hasn't aged well at all.

Saw a good action film last night - The Raid-Redemption

Japanese with subtitles. There was a lot of serious ass kicking in this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Saw a good action film last night - The Raid-Redemption

Japanese with subtitles. There was a lot of serious ass kicking in this one!
    I'm pretty sure that one's not Japanese - Indonesian, I think. Yeah, I liked it too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Tom Cruise plays every role the same way, cocky and melodramatic.

His 80s stuff hasn't aged well at all.
    Warning: Use of the "R" word. (This video was made years ago, otherwise Rich Hall would be ridden out of town on a rail ala Paula Deen.)

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'm pretty sure that one's not Japanese - Indonesian, I think. Yeah, I liked it too.
    Thanks for the correction. I probably shouldn't have guessed.

Great video...., but what's the "R" word?

Watched Identy Thief last night. Mellisa McCarthy in the title roll. Some really funny spots ,but fairly predictable plot. McCarthy is funny, and this is an adequite vehicle for her talents. But she still waits for the showcase movie that will make her big,no pun intended. She had way less screentime in Bridesmaids and stole the show. Havnt yet seen the Bullock/McCarty cop movie . I give this one 6 of 10. Theres worse ways to waste 2 hours.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For some reason my wife has a higher "terrible movie" endurance ability than I do, and for some reason at some point the other day she turned on the "Mr. Magoo" movie. Holy crap! I didn't even remember that one coming out, but man was it bad. What's his name (the guy from the Airplane movies) plays Magoo. Every once in a while they get a sound out of him that sounds vaguely like Magoo. But come on, no one liked Magoo anyway, so why make a movie? Why? It was so f*cking bad...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But come on, no one liked Magoo anyway, so why make a movie? Why? It was so f*cking bad...
    The Magoo cartoons are classic! Never saw the movie nor do I plan to, but I'll defend Jim Backus' Magoo till I'm blue in the face, harumph.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

No likey Magoo?
    What's wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    The Magoo cartoons are classic! Never saw the movie nor do I plan to, but I'll defend Jim Backus' Magoo till I'm blue in the face, harumph.
    Amen!

I flew to Japan and back via business class last week and watched three movies (and read two books) in the course of my travels, since I can't sleep on planes.

The Amazing Spider Man: All I could think of was "WHY?" Why tell the story of his origin again? Okay, it was slightly different this time around, but not enough to justify what was basically a remake of a film that didn't come out that long ago. And hardly an improvement.

Beautiful Creatures: Struck me as a serious version of "Bewitched" (female witch and male mortal fall in love and the witch's family tries to intervene) which is pretty ludicrous.

Guilt Trip: Liked it! Not quite hilarious, but pretty funny and I laughed out loud a few times. Barbara Streisand is still a great comedic actress (not to mention an extremely talented singer) and is still pretty hot for her age. She has the Jewish mother thing down (though there was no reference that she was supposed to be Jewish in the film) and her and Seth Rogen had a great chemistry together!

Chiming in on Tom Cruise - IMO he's a better actor than he's given credit for. 'Valkyrie' was excellent and he did a fine job in it, likewise 'Eyes Wide Shut' which, like every Kubrick movie, was given short shrift by lots of critics at release. I think it's brilliant, and Cruise is a big part of that.

Add the wonderful 'Collateral' and 'Lions for Lambs' and I reckon he's an actor who's really matured into a skilled craftsman.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Eyes Wide Shut might be the worst movie I've ever seen.

It's close, between that and The Other Guys (shudders).