Page 125 of 316 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Are we forgetting Rocky & Bullwinkle?
    Trying to!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    He's made nineteen films in the last five years. And seven more filming/already filmed.

I meant to say great roles for a senior.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I meant to say great roles for a senior.
    Fair enough. It's a shame, and I think Hollywood could learn a thing or two from elsewhere in the world - the Brits for instance. Look at guys like Derek Jacobi, Ian McKellan, Michael Gambon, Patrick Stewart...all in their 70s and all still performing great roles.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Everything of this is all so subjective when talking what actors are good and what films of them we like.
    Every single actor has made bad films. The only one who I can remember made only good films was John Cazale, but I think he made only five - Conversation, the first two Godfather films, Dog Day Afternoon and Deer Hunter.
    I don't think it matters how many bad films De Niro or any other has made, the good ones matter.

It's just that now the young ones are usually cast in the lead roles - Di Caprio, Eisenberg, Damon or Gyllenhall. Used to be a bit different with Hackman, Scott, Brynner, Marvin, Bronson etc. Jean Gabin made decent ones with lead roles very late in his career but that was in the 70's.

Are we forgetting Rocky & Bullwinkle?
    Was trying to. Thanks so much.

Watched "The Rewrite" a 2014 romcom with Hugh Grant and Marisa Tomei and a good supporting cast including Cris Elliot and J. K. Simmons. Pleasant movie with Grant ,a veteran of the genre in fine form. Tomei looks great ,hard to believe My Cousin Vinny was in 1992. Switched from 15 minutes of the start of another movie to appease the wife, like I said, a decent entry in the romcom field. 7 of 10.
    In a 2 for one here, the movie that got 15 minutes and was switched off, Trailer Park Boys ,Don't Legalize it. Also 2014. Not fair to rate a movie without watching the whole thing, but I can say it didn't start well. Just didn't have the snap of its predesessors. Stupid but not in a funny way. Anyone see it and is it worth sticking out?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Was trying to. Thanks so much.
    We aim to please - One I liked but don't recall if mentioned previously was True Confessions, costarring Robert Duvall...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

We aim to please - One I liked but don't recall if mentioned previously was True Confessions, costarring Robert Duvall...
    One that I liked, but never see mentioned, is True Confessions, where he played opposite Robert Duvall.

...and there we go...consider that my "ditto"
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    De Niro was pretty good with John Cusack in The Bag Man (2014).

Last night we watched Love And Mercy, about Brian Wilson. Very well made movie, featuring Paul Dano and John Cusack as Wilson at different stages in his life. Rather than follow chronology, scenes with each actor are alternated quite effectively. I admit I would have likely watched any biopic about Wilson, but this film is over-the-top excellent. Even if your interest in Brian and the Beach Boys is limited, you might watch this as a lesson in filmmaking.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    De Niro was pretty good with John Cusack in The Bag Man (2014).

Last night we watched Love And Mercy, about Brian Wilson. Very well made movie, featuring Paul Dano and John Cusack as Wilson at different stages in his life. Rather than follow chronology, scenes with each actor are alternated quite effectively. I admit I would have likely watched any biopic about Wilson, but this film is over-the-top excellent. Even if your interest in Brian and the Beach Boys is limited, you might watch this as a lesson in filmmaking.
    Saw it a couple of days ago. I thought it was good, but not "over-the-top excellent." It got a little long in the tooth at times and the scenes where they were trying to depict his psychotic episodes (with bunches of voices and reverb-drenched music in his head) were really loud and annoying. But the acting was good and I did enjoy it and learned a lot of stuff I didn't know. I'd recommend it as a very good movie, just not a great one.

Just watched Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief. Wow! What an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    That is likely true, but it is unfair to blame it all on De Niro. Over a long career, he has made plenty of great movies in which he has played exceptional roles, to the point where you can't imagine anyone else playing the characters he has played. Heat is among my all time favorite films (and soundtracks). Lately, he has decided to branch out into comedy movies. He has certainly earned the right to give that a try. To me, he doesn't seem bad in comedic roles. What is bad, and what makes it seem he makes too many mediocre films a year, is that Hollywood is no longer capable of making a truly good comedy, yet they keep churning out movies they think are funny by the hundreds. The number of jobs he takes on per year is up to him. If he wants the jobs and can handle the workload, more power to him. I think he still has it in him to play another great dramatic role, if someone has the sense to cast him in it.

I pretty much agree with this. I think De Niro has earned the right to do what he wants. I don't think at his age he wants the pressure of looking for demanding and challenging roles. I think in his own mind he has effectively retired and just takes roles for convenience and money.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Angel Heart is probably one of my favorite DeNiro movies.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Forgot about Angel Heart. That was a good one.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Liked Angel Heart until about halfway when it moved to those other locations. Then it became weird. But the first half was good.
    There was another Rourke film recently on TV - Year Of The Dragon where he played a cop battling crime in the San Francisco Chinese quarters. It's fairly good, with a lot of familiar faces and I think directed by Cimino.

Speaking of Mickey Rourke, The Pope Of Greenwich Village ( 1984) is a fave.

A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

He was amazing in "The Wrestler".

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    He was amazing in "The Wrestler".
    Yeah, that was a good one. I like Aronofsky. How about Rourke in Barfly?

I liked Mickey Rourke in 'A Prayer for the Dying'
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm not a big supporter of Eric Roberts so I haven't seen all of Pope..., only some episodes. I found him annoying in Runaway Train which was otherwise an interesting film.

There's a movie with Rourke and Don Johnson - Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man. I liked that one. Both actors are not fond of it, but the action in it was excellent.

Just wanted to chime-in about a movie I watched last night

"2Survive"

No, its not great, but its worth a one-time watch. The reason why Im chiming in is that its a "found footage" film, and I normally despise those. However, this is the first "found footage" film I have seen where there is a legitimate reason why there is found-footage to begin with (for example, in other movies if Im running for my life, I aint gonna be worried about trying to hold a camera steady ). Furthermore, it has a legitimate reason where footage can be taken from multiple-cameras and not just one source, and this adds a LOT of POV dimensions to a genre usually noted to be one-dimensional

The story isnt bad and the acting is just ever so slightly above mediocre to keep me just enough interested, but the creative way to make "found-footage" interesting made it worthwhile

also, Erik Estrada is in it but hes in-and-out in a blip way at the beginning before causing any harm to the film

I watched M. Night's new thriller The Visit last night.

It struck a nice balance of horror and humor, even though its considered a " found footage " type film,

The excellent acting elevated it from a bad B movie to a very good B movie.

Watched The Devil's Backbone a couple nights ago. It's a creepy little ghost story/Spanish Civil War allegory by Guillermo Del Toro. A few good scares, some great characters, and a real compelling (if somewhat predictable) story.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart