Page 120 of 316 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

We went to Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation last night. It was pure entertainment. The underwater sequence was just as riveting as that insane high-rise stunt in Dubai from Ghost Protocol. And damn, Rebecca Ferguson needs to be in more movies now. Simon Pegg, of course, was fucking brilliant. But it got me thinking about spy movies in general and so if you want a more lengthy analysis, here's my blog post:

https://jeroljohnson.wordpress.com/2...gets-and-guns/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Good stuff, Jerol.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Saw the documentary "Beware Of Mr. Baker" about Ginger Baker. Finished it on Netflix today. Great film about a true eccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw the documentary "Beware Of Mr. Baker" about Ginger Baker. Finished it on Netflix today. Great film about a true eccentric.
    We had a thread about that one on the main board. He's more than a bit of a shmuck, but he has led a very interesting life.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Third Person - a weird, thought-provoking movie about a writer and his girlfriend, and two other couples, each couple in a different city, who may or may not be connected somehow. Paul Haggis has made some decent movies in the past, but I did not care for most of the TV shows with which he is associated.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

It Follows - meh. An evil creature in the guise of a human stalks the town slut and tries to kill her. Neither frightening nor give-a-fuck inducing.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Barry Lyndon--Kubrick film, I'd seen it before, but it still holds up well.

A Man Called Horse--a western with Richard Harris is captured and finally becomes a part of the Indian community. It's good too.
    Last edited by hippypants; 09-06-2015 at 05:39 PM.

I'm trying to find out the name of a movie about a young video store clerk who meets and falls in love with a quirky young oriental woman who keeps entering and disappearing from his life. She does'nt give him her address, for example. I watched it a few years ago and remember that he had even gotten to the state of having her meet his friends... Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    A Man Called Horse--western with Richard Harris capture and finally coming a part of the Indian community. It's good too.
    Never saw or heard of that one, but the premise sounds familiar, as in "Little Big Man" and "Dances With Wolves." Both great films imo.

We saw Mad Max: Fury Road last night. Wanted to see it on the big screen, but we were too slow. It was entertaining nonetheless. Amazing what can be done with a minimal story line and a lot of stunts.

A Man Called Horse--yes, there's a similarity, between the three films, but Horse predates the other too, and Little Big Man has more humor and irony.

Big Eyes--Tim Burton film about the woman artist who painted paintings with big eyes, but whose husband wanted to take all the credit. A bit melodramatic, but an okay watch too.

Okay, I feel like there's a punchline here, but: young video store clerk who meets and falls in love with a quirky young oriental woman.

Good Dick

Mad Max Fury Road

What a blast! Pure action insanity right where Road Warrior left off.

8 out of 10 'splozions
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Wouldn't mind seeing this documentary about the rise and fall of Tower Records:

Yeah, that Tower doc would be fun to see. I remember buying a few things from their stores in Austin & Dallas, but that was the closest store to me. As I remember their prices weren't particularly cheap, but they had the inventory. I also like Peaches and the Record Bar. I think there were a few other chains, but their names escape me.

Big Eyes--Tim Burton film about the woman artist who painted paintings with big eyes, but whose husband wanted to take all the credit. A bit melodramatic, but an okay watch too.
    Saw it and enjoyed it! My parents had some of those "Big Eyes" paintings in our basement/rec room when I was a kid; they were wildly popular in the '60s. But I never knew there was an interesting story behind it until I saw the film. Besides, I'll watch anything with Amy Adams!

Yeah, that Tower doc would be fun to see. I remember buying a few things from their stores in Austin & Dallas, but that was the closest store to me. As I remember their prices weren't particularly cheap, but they had the inventory.
    Yep; for a few years there was a Tower Records about 2 miles from my home. I used to browse for hours in there; a half hour in the rock section and three more half hours in the jazz, classical and world music sections. I'd get excited just driving there! That would be a cool (and sad) doc to see.

I'd like to see that too. I spent many hours chatting with other music fans and wandering up and down the aisles in Tower.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I always scoured the cutout bins at Tower... sealed copies of great Prog albums could be had for 3.99
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Yeah, that Tower doc would be fun to see. I remember buying a few things from their stores in Austin & Dallas, but that was the closest store to me. As I remember their prices weren't particularly cheap, but they had the inventory. I also like Peaches and the Record Bar. I think there were a few other chains, but their names escape me.
    I had A Tower records two miles away that closed in late 2006.
    I really, really miss that place.
    They stayed open until midnight, so a few nights a week I'd peruse the aisles before heading home.
    *sigh*
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Recent viewing: Citizen Four - documentary/movie about Edward Snowden and en ess ay spying. Very well made.

I miss Tower Records, too, and record stores in general. One day I will have to tell my child my old geezer tales of having once browsed for CDs (and before that, records) in a store with thousands of them. Music browsing is a thing of the past, I guess. You have to know what you are looking for to shop online. Two of my favorite names of now defunct record stores were Licorice Pizza in L.A. and Inyo Ear in Bishop, California (Bishop is in Inyo County).

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing this documentary about the rise and fall of Tower Records:

I grew up down the street from the original Tower Records in Sacramento. At one point that corner had Tower Books, Theater, Records, Tapes, Posters and Liquor.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Speaking of Tower Records, another one that went defunct that was more recent was Borders. They had a ton of inventory and books, magazine, dvds, and all that. I think they had some of the highest prices though. There were a couple of chain stores out at our mall like The Record Bar, Sam Goodies/Musicland, Flipside, and so forth. I used to haunt them all. But one of the ones I used to like to look around in when visiting Austin, Tx was Waterloo, which is still there, which handled used vinyl as well.

Of course our local mom and pop store was called Endless Horizons, and I'd go there every week. Amazingly it's still open too.

We had a Borders right down the street from Tower.

They went under a few years ago , now it's Trader Joes, which is a pretty great food store .
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Skyfall was ok, it had some great sequences and I like Daniel Craig as Bond. What spoilt it for me was the miserable music score that honestly could have fitted any action film. It just didn't have that Bond feel to it.

Mission Impossible was terrific. But let's face it, it has that theme tune. What a theme. Pure escapist fun and entertainment from start to finish.