Page 118 of 316 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168218 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Watched the Muscle Shoals music documentary over the weekend. Great interesting story. I did not realize that there were two famous studios in that little town.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    History of the Eagles--if interested in the California rock band it's a pretty good doc.
    Agreed it is very good and relatively fair.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just watched Sea Of Love for the sixth or seventh time, great movie, Pacino is excellent & Ellen Barkin is smoking
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Earlier tonight I saw the movie "the man from U.N.C.L.E." I thought it was ok (and even that is being generous imo). Not being familar with the old tv show(I'm a bit too young although I have certainly heard of it)maybe the whole concept or plot was lost on me. I thought it was kind of boring with almost no humor. There was some action but for the most part this movie didn't really work for me. It reminded me a little bit of a Quenton Tarintino movie although maybe even not as good as most of his. Not really sure why I didn't enjoy this movie that much actually. It wasn't horrible but it just left me cold. It did seem to end in a way that made me think there will be a sequel(or series)but I doubt I'll be on board for those. Those who are fans of the old tv show might want to check it out though.

My brother and I were addicted to Man from U.N.C.L.E. back in the day but I barely remember it now. I'd like to see the movie but it appears that it is very much an exercise in style over substance. Guy Ritchie started as a very adventurous director. Do you remember Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch? But after resurrecting Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr and now Man from UNCLE it appears that he, like Hollywood, is out of original ideas. Caveat, I did enjoy those Sherlock Holmes movies even though they were highly ludicrous.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks for the review of The Man From UNCLE. I watched the TV series as a kid. The plot of the TV series was simple, but good enough to work at a time when there were other decent shows on TV (Star Trek, for one). The United Network Command for Law and Enforcement (U.N.C.L.E.; the "good guys") had an American agent (Robert Vaughn) and a Russian-born agent (David McCallum) who fought against the enemies of peace (THRUSH; the "bad guys"). I have caught a couple of the old shows on retro TV stations recently, and while it isn't as gripping to me now as when I was young, it is still fun to watch. I have low expectations for the new movie. I will probably watch it when it comes out on DVD, if only to compare it with a favorite show of my childhood, and to see the lovely Alicia Vikander. Humor and action were staples of the original TV series. I hope this new movie studio remake doesn't put me to sleep.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Sorry to repeat myself, but:

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I was a huge fan when I was a kid too; in fact I idolized McCallum's character; I would dress like him and wished I had blond hair and blue eyes. But I don't think us baby boomers are the intended demographic this movie is being marketed to; I just think Hollywood is taking few chances at really fresh and new ideas, instead, they're mining tv shows and movies from the more distant past, thinking that if those storylines were once successful, they could be again. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
    I'm about as interested in seeing The Man From U.N.C.L.E. movie as I was in seeing Leslie Nielson as Mr. Magoo (and I never did see it, much as I love Leslie).

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just watched Sea Of Love for the sixth or seventh time, great movie, Pacino is excellent & Ellen Barkin is smoking
    Great movie and Ellen was smolderingly sexy in it. Something about that cockeyed smirk... not to mention that ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I did enjoy those Sherlock Holmes movies even though they were highly ludicrous.
    I only saw the first one and Sherlock Holmes as an action hero is indeed a ridiculous premise. But I enjoyed it in spite of that.

Style over substance is a good way to put it. That kind of describes QT movies as well. Sometimes I'll watch a movie and it won't really click with me much at the time but then later I'll realize that it actually was pretty good after all even though I didn't know what to make of it at the time. This is my experience when I saw Ex Machina a few months ago. However, that movie was really unique. This one is just not that different from most action movies in many ways. It was retro(meaning it took place in the past)so I'll give it some points for that.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I actually enjoyed The Man From UNCLE. I thought they got the period feel, sardonic humor & action mix about right. It was a fun couple of hours.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I actually enjoyed The Man From UNCLE. I thought they got the period feel, sardonic humor & action mix about right. It was a fun couple of hours.
    Agreed. Enjoyable movie.

http://www.fangoria.com/new/roger-co...kings-of-cult/

When it comes to indie genre filmmaking the maverick Roger Corman (alongside his wife/producing partner Julie) is the undisputed king. Corman’s efforts almost single-handedly inventing independent cinema in the 1950’s continues today (his latest is the smash-hit Syfy camp-fest SHARKTOPUS VS. WHALEWOLF) and his multi-generational work created a fertile ground for other ambitious creators to make their mark, especially people like Empire Pictures and Full Moon Features mogul Charles Band.

Indeed, the other last man standing outside of Corman is Band himself. Between the two of them, they’ve navigated the ever-shifting market of moviedom, continually re-inventing themselves and show no signs of quitting. Seeing an opportunity to bring two forces of counter-culture filmmaking together, Band sat down with Corman for an epic 60 minute discussion about their careers and adventures making mad movies on the margins, and the resulting mini-doc has been called KINGS OF CULT.

Now, KINGS OF CULT is having its worldwide premiere on Band’s B movie-soaked FullMoonStreaming.com channel on September 2nd. To watch, visit the site and sign up for a subscription (about $6 per month). In the meantime, have a look at the exclusive trailer and the colorful poster designed by the great Stephen Romano.

I feel exactly the same way. UNCLE was my favorite show as a kid. I have the four season DVD. I went to The Golden Anniversary Affair in September when people who worked on the original series were there, and a five piece jazz band played original music from UNCLE. Big fan. The movie is an origin story. Ritchie and partner wrote the story, giving Solo and Kuryakin their backgrounds. There is no UNCLE organization in the movie. It begs for a sequel. I hope it does well enough to have at least one. If you're looking for lots of CGI, it's not the film for you. I liked the chemistry between Cavill and Hammer. Vikander was excellent as well. Elizabeth Debicki is a great villain and even Hugh Grant did a fine job for the limited time he's on screen as Waverly. The original UNCLE theme is in the film for a few seconds (Hugo Montenegro version). The soundtrack by Daniel Pemberton is excellent. It captures the 60s period well. If you DL from iTunes, it has bonus tracks. Some original series fans will not see it due to it not having elements from the original series besides the three main characters. That's too bad. It's a fine film. It needs support to get a sequel made, which all involved want to do. Solo, Kuryakin and Waverly's dossiers are shown during the credits. Channel D is open!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It reminded me a little bit of a Quenton Tarintino movie
    you mean excessive, gratuitous violence with puerile attempts at humor and no substance whatsoever?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Watched Out of the Past last night. This 1947 film is probably the quintessential film noir. I always enjoy watching this. Just bought the Blu-Ray and it looks fantastic!

I checked out Electric Slide on Netflix the other night.

Very stylish movie set in early 80s LA about sleazy antique dealer/drug addict who became a prolific bank robber.

Based on the life and crimes of Eddie Dodson.

Slow moving but worth a look for the wonderful cast.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Let me echo the kudos for "Sea of Love." I think that is a great noir movie. Certainly Ellen Barkin's best work, and Pacino is very good in it as well.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Roger Corman is my landlord for an office building in Santa Monica. I've never dealt with Roger himself but some guy named Brian is in charge. But the lease reads Roger Corman, Owner. Cool!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    you mean excessive, gratuitous violence with puerile attempts at humor and no substance whatsoever?
    I guess someone completely misses the point of Quenton Tarantino!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

yep
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I guess someone completely misses the point of Quenton Tarantino!
    of course I 'get it'... he makes movies that only frustrated 17-21 year old boys would think are "awesome!"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Baby Blue Marine - rare to come across a film that you have actually never, ever heard of. I have been a keen movie buff since the late sixties, and pride myself on knowing a reasonable amount of knowledge, even if I have not seen a particular movie...you normally at least have heard of it.

But this one is a complete revelation.

Currently showing on Moviemix channel in the UK, it's a 1976 movie starring Jan Michael Vincent as a guy who is rejected for the Marines. On his way home, he meets and befriends a highly decorated Marine in a bar, who it transpires is planning to desert (played by a very young Richard Gere with a shock of white hair!). Gere knocks Vincent out and takes his clothes, leaving him with his own uniform.

Vincent proceeds to wear the uniform and make his way home, but along the way is taken for an actual Marine by people he meets, is given lifts, free meals and treated with reverence and kindness. So he decides to continue the subterfuge...

Currently watching, and it seems a decent movie, very old fashioned and kind of the sort rarely made these days. It's a little bit similar to the Tony Curtis movie The Outsider about Ira Hayes.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

sounds a bit like a twist on The Prince and the Pauper

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Lovely Bones (2009) - The plot centers around a 14 year old girl who is murdered and lives in a surreal afterworld while see watches over her grieving family and the murderer. Stanley Tucci plays the monster/serial murderer. Brian Eno did the soundtrack that fit perfectly with the movie's feel. Peter Jackson directs. Very disturbing movie and extremely well done. Very little overt violence but still conveys evil. Brilliant movie, really.

Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.