Page 103 of 316 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Y'know, Super 8 is one of my guilty pleasures. Ya gotta love that film. The kids all act great and it has some real emotional resonance.
    Agreed.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched Babadook. It had some scary moments, but I had no trouble going to bed and falling asleep right after it was over. Some fright flicks have more staying power. I do appreciate a psychological thriller, though.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Night Flier--based on a Stephen King book about a vampire that flies in a plane (since bats fly I don't know why the plane?) killing people. A bit dated, but sort of interesting on some level.

Pop Corn--cheesy horror film about a film class trying to raise funds. Tried to juggle to many plot lines for me. I liked Matinee better.

Cake - Jennifer Anniston as someone suffering from chronic physical pain and severe emotional upset as well. Anniston takes on a difficult dramatic role and nails it. Well worth seeing.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

turned on TCM last night and it turned out to be Orson Welles night. They had just finished "Magnificent Ambersons" and then started an adaptation of "Jane Eyre" with Welles as Rochester. I didn't even know this existed. It was OK. My wife is a bit of a fan of the Bronte sisters and she hadn't seen this version either.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just came back from Avengers 2 Age of Ultron and it rocked hard

A really good sequel with a darker tone and unbelievable action scenes.

If you liked Avengers 1 then this is a no brainer.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

AMC was running the old Dirty Harry films over the past weekend:
    Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, The Dead Pool--they were pretty good, but got weaker and weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    AMC was running the old Dirty Harry films over the past weekend:
    Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, The Dead Pool--they were pretty good, but got weaker and weaker.
    The first is still the best.

I saw Paddington over the weekend. Ostensibly a children's movie, based on stories unfamiliar to me (possibly because I grew up earlier, possibly because I didn't grow up in England), this is definitely a well-made movie that can be enjoyed by people of any age.

Watched "Wild" last night. Pretty great movie, I thought.

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn

Robin Williams stars as a real douchebag of a guy. Mad at the world. He goes to his doctor to get the results of a test, to find out he has a brain aneurysm.
    His regular doctor is out, so he is going off on the fill in doc. (Mila Kunis). He stresses and pisses her off so bad, she tells him he has 90 minutes to live.
    The film is about him frantically trying to make amends before he dies. Very funny and even touching at times. James Earl Jones as the stuttering electronics
    shop clerk is worth the price of admission alone. Highly recommended!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Just came back from Avengers 2 Age of Ultron and it rocked hard

A really good sequel with a darker tone and unbelievable action scenes.

If you liked Avengers 1 then this is a no brainer.
    7/10

It wasn't really darker. Maybe a smidgen. Ultron was UINO – Ultron in Name Only. More like Spadertron. The Banner-Romanoff subplot was stupid. The final battle was essentially the one from the first movie. Looking forward to the next Cap movie because those directors are better than the Josster.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The first is still the best.
    See, and I thought Sudden Impact was the brain salad surgery of the dirty harry films

I Didn't Mean to Break Your Heart--a doc on the band Wilco. I was never a huge fan, in fact I'm not that familiar with their songs although I've seen them a few times on Austin City Limits. They were ok and put on a good show. Their songs have a strange mixed appeal to me, some I like and some don't seem to work. At any rate, the doc is pretty good.

THX 1138--George Lucas first SF film, still pretty good.

Sudden Impact was the brain salad surgery of the dirty harry films -- I have no idea if that's good or bad.

Caught a screening of "I'll See You In My Dreams" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3236120/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Very good. Moved fast, lots of humor in what I thought would be a tear jerker. Blythe Danner, known more for her stage work was excellent as was Sam Elliot in his far too short a part. Surprisingly great was Martin Starr; best known for his parts in "Superbad" and the series "Silicone Valley". Opens this Friday.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears
    Watched "Wild" last night. Pretty great movie, I thought.
    It was a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    I heard about this, and even saw the clip of Williams and JE Jones in the shop, but I had no idea it was a new movie. I see Robin Williams, I think archives now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants
    I Didn't Mean to Break Your Heart
    Do you mean "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart?" I picked that DVD up at a thrift store and haven't got around to watching it yet. Thanks for the reminder. I'll watch it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants
    THX 1138
    Another one on the shelf awaiting viewing, although I did see it when it was new.

Yes, Spellbound that's the one I was referring too, I get lazy on forum boards at times. But yeah, check it out, I thought it was pretty good, and I won't go into the details to spoil it for you--they did have some nice live concert footage on it too.

THX is still pretty cool, I had not seen it in a great while.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched Babadook. It had some scary moments, but I had no trouble going to bed and falling asleep right after it was over. Some fright flicks have more staying power. I do appreciate a psychological thriller, though.
    Finally saw this last night. I was pretty disappointed, after all the hype it had received. The only movie I can remember where I was rooting for the kid to die.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Finally saw this last night. I was pretty disappointed, after all the hype it had received. The only movie I can remember where I was rooting for the kid to die.
    Same here.

That movie did nothing for me.

I thought it was awesome.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I thought it was awesome.
    Same here Bro. And I loved the ending. To me the ending was a lightbulb moment and unlocked the entire movie. Love that it wasn't spoon fed to me.

8.5 out of 10 kids preparing for an annual psychological war.

I was really looking forward to Monsters 2: Dark Continent as I loved the original. Other than a few (and I mean few) fantastic effects, this movie fucking sucked hairy balls. It's basically a marine flick plot with some unrelated monsters in the background. What a fkn disappointment.

3 out of 10 asshole jarheads.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

Robin Williams stars as a real douchebag of a guy. Mad at the world. He goes to his doctor to get the results of a test, to find out he has a brain aneurysm.
    His regular doctor is out, so he is going off on the fill in doc. (Mila Kunis). He stresses and pisses her off so bad, she tells him he has 90 minutes to live.
    The film is about him frantically trying to make amends before he dies. Very funny and even touching at times. James Earl Jones as the stuttering electronics
    shop clerk is worth the price of admission alone. Highly recommended!
    I saw that several months ago, before Robin Williams passed away. I thought it was pretty good! Unfortunately, it was panned by the critics and didn't do very well at all with the Box Office; one of the heap of things that added to William's severe depression. Very sad.

Saw The Wedding Ringer the other night. Not exactly great, but there were some very funny moments. My gal and I don't have a lot of common ground in our tastes in movies besides dumb-ish comedies, so we chose that. It was actually a lot better than I expected!

Van Helsing--big, stupid, popcorn movie, but okay fun, if you're in the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Van Helsing--big, stupid, popcorn movie, but okay fun, if you're in the mood.
    worth it just to see Kate running around in tight clothes
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Rosewater - John Stewart's film about a journalist imprisoned in Iran. Very good.