Page 102 of 316 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Just wat he'd an Australian horror film called The Babadook. more for fans of suggestive rather than explicit horror (meaning not much in the way of graphics), it trad a pretty nice line between the emotional beggar of a mother whose husband was killed in a car accident driving her to the hospital to deliver her now six year-old son; the son, who obviously has some problems of his own; and the titular creature...which, for most of the film treads the "does he or does he not exist" line. A little let down by the ending, which both turned more explicit and a little bit silly, and the absolute conclusion, which was even sillier, I was nevertheless creeped out quite nicely for the first 80 minutes or so of its 90-minute runtime.

A movie folks seem to love to hate, I think, because it's not got the veneer of a Hollywood flick, I thought it was overall pretty darn well done. I suspect the ending was the result of the studio saying "not scary enough" which always makes e crazy, because sometimes the thins you don't see are far scarier than those you do. Still, they didn't go over the top...and the lead up to it had some very, very creepy moments.

The only other film I can recall recently that creeped me out like that was Sinister, a 2012 film that, with Ethan Hawke, would normally have been a no-watch for that reason alone, but the opening grabbed me so instantly and the way it built to its imwvtable conclusion was truly, well, sinister. Directed by the guy who did Exorcism of Emily Rose and Deliver Us From Evil...both quite good possession films, I think Sinister is, however, his high water mark to date.

Just watched Solomon Kane because someone had to. Someone decided to make up an origin story for this pulp classic which was a huge mistake. Origins take too long to set up and rarely pay off. Plus the Big Bad in the movie just wasn't very entertaining, pretty much standard baddie with no point to exist other than to do bad shit. No pulpy fun and plenty of leaps in logic (if the bad guy could be defeated just by shooting him in the head, than why no do it first thing?). A waste of time and a squandering of what could have been something fun.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Babadook was voted one of the top movies that you will only watch once. After seeing it this past winter I agree. Glad I watched it, no desire to do so again. It was somewhat disturbing while completely avoiding any explicit shock-horror scenes. Good psychological horror.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Watched "Eraserhead" again last night. Talk about a disturbing movie. David Lynch at his best. Takes so much out of me. Feels like it's 4 hours long.
    "The Babadouk" had a lot of chatter around here many months ago. I felt it reminded me too much of a "Tales From The Darkside" episode". Or maybe it was one of the newer "Twilight Zones" hosted by Forrest Whitaker.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched The Imitation Game today, really excellent, enjoyed it a lot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The Immigrant (2013) - In the 1920s, an immigrant woman from Poland to the US is tricked into a life in burlesque and prostitution in New York while her sister is held on Ellis Island unable to enter the country. A depressing story, but a good movie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Just wat he'd an Australian horror film called The Babadook. more for fans of suggestive rather than explicit horror (meaning not much in the way of graphics), it trad a pretty nice line between the emotional beggar of a mother whose husband was killed in a car accident driving her to the hospital to deliver her now six year-old son; the son, who obviously has some problems of his own; and the titular creature...which, for most of the film treads the "does he or does he not exist" line. A little let down by the ending, which both turned more explicit and a little bit silly, and the absolute conclusion, which was even sillier, I was nevertheless creeped out quite nicely for the first 80 minutes or so of its 90-minute runtime.

A movie folks seem to love to hate, I think, because it's not got the veneer of a Hollywood flick, I thought it was overall pretty darn well done. I suspect the ending was the result of the studio saying "not scary enough" which always makes e crazy, because sometimes the thins you don't see are far scarier than those you do. Still, they didn't go over the top...and the lead up to it had some very, very creepy moments.

The only other film I can recall recently that creeped me out like that was Sinister, a 2012 film that, with Ethan Hawke, would normally have been a no-watch for that reason alone, but the opening grabbed me so instantly and the way it built to its imwvtable conclusion was truly, well, sinister. Directed by the guy who did Exorcism of Emily Rose and Deliver Us From Evil...both quite good possession films, I think Sinister is, however, his high water mark to date.
    If you go back a ways in this thread you will find quite a bit of discussion on Babdook. I saw it in the theater and like you had mixed feelings on it, especially the ending.

A Most Violent Year - set in 1981 NYC, the year violent crime was at an all-time high there. A man (Oscar Isaac) tries to build up his heating oil business while under attack from thugs. Pretty good, but not imperative.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Caught a screening of "Pitch Perfect 2" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2848292/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Enjoyed it much more than I expected/should have (?) Music score by Mark Mothersbaugh.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    A Most Violent Year - set in 1981 NYC, the year violent crime was at an all-time high there. A man (Oscar Isaac) tries to build up his heating oil business while under attack from thugs. Pretty good, but not imperative.
    I quite enjoyed this one too. A guy trying to do the right thing (with a wife ready to do anything at any cost!) who is, sadly, drawn in with circumstances, as he puts it at one point when he's trying to secure more loan money, "beyond my control."

What I enjoyed most about the movie was his performance: tightly controlled guy who made you very afraid as to what would happen if he ever truly lost it.

No, not an imperative film, but still a damn good one.

Tonight I hope my wife and I will see Cronenberg's latest, Maps to the Stars. I'll admit i am a pretty unapologetic Cronenberg freak, right from his early start in some pretty gross-out horror films (but still, always with a vision, a concept), and saw this in the theatre, but my wife did not..and she's a Cronenberg fan too. SO I suspect she'll find it as engrossing as I did.

Turned on the tv while on the treadmill today and Eraserhead was on. Still one of the strangest movies ever............

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman
    What I enjoyed most about the movie was his performance: tightly controlled guy who made you very afraid as to what would happen if he ever truly lost it.
    I agree, Isaac's performance was top notch.

Witnessed what was quite possibly the worst horror movie ever the other night.
    Avoid "VHS Viral" at all cost!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Thanks for the rec, I enjoyed it last night.

Big fan of the wife.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

You're Not You - A woman's (the always excellent Hilary Swank) trials and tribulations after contracting ALS. I don't think it would be a spoiler to say: expect a tearjerker ending. Don't let sad subject matter keep you from seeing this one. I'd let you know if it was too maudlin. The performances and story are great. The inexperienced college student hired as a caregiver adds a lot. My wife and I have been unable to recall a movie where Swank's character is not dead or dying by the end of the film. Can you?

Just saw Ex Machina- have not read back a bunch of pages, but I cannot even speak about the movie- which I thought was great- without giving away information that you should not know to fully enjoy the film...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Not a movie, but Shameless. Particularly the current session. This is an amazingly decent show. Very rich cast.

Watched "Big Eyes" last night. The story of Margaret Keane, the woman who painted all those children and gave them enormous, sad eyes. And of her husband, Walter, who claimed credit for the artwork and profited from it. Great performances by Amy Adams as the artist, and Cristoph Waltz as her controlling husband, who at first seems manipulative and later seems to believe his own bullshit. I was surprised to see that this is a Tim Burton film.

I rewatched the original Batman Burton film--did not age well.

Just saw Age of Adeline. Enjoyed it. Blake Lively was great.

Not exactly a movie, but my wife & I made a pact: I would watch one full season of Downton Abbey to give it a full chance if she'd do the same with The Walking Dead. so, watched the first couple of DA's first season episodes and must say it's very enjoyable. I knew, of course, about the British class system but had no idea it filtered down into the servants, where they seem to have evolved their own class system. Brutal time to be a free thinker, that for sure.

But I'm hooked. So, after we watch DA I've got to see if I can get Rio to see what I see in TWD. I've told her to ignore the zombies getting killed because after a few episodes it really becomes superfluous .... and what matters is falling in love with the characters who have survived (well, some of them, anyway...).

Fingers crossed...

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I saw that in the theater in a couple of months ago I guess it was. I really didn't care for it for the most part. It was rather amateurish and way too convoluted. I don't think it was horrible but it seems like it was deliberately made for a 15 year old.
    I sure enjoyed it, but occasionally the 15-year old in me needs to be fed. Besides 'Project Almanac' I also enjoyed 'Super 8' so there you go...

I much prefer movies like that over something like 'Furious 7', though admittedly the only Furious I saw was half of the first, and that was enough for me.

Y'know, Super 8 is one of my guilty pleasures. Ya gotta love that film. The kids all act great and it has some real emotional resonance.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Not exactly a movie, but my wife & I made a pact: I would watch one full season of Downton Abbey to give it a full chance if she'd do the same with The Walking Dead. so, watched the first couple of DA's first season episodes and must say it's very enjoyable. I knew, of course, about the British class system but had no idea it filtered down into the servants, where they seem to have evolved their own class system. Brutal time to be a free thinker, that for sure.

But I'm hooked....
    My wife and I have watched this series and have both thoroughly enjoyed it. It sure was a different culture (and sub-culture) back then. I'd have to say though, IMO, as the seasons have progressed, the show has become more soap operaish. I suppose it was from the beginning, but more subtle in the earlier going.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Not a movie, but Shameless. Particularly the current session. This is an amazingly decent show. Very rich cast.
    Is the new season starting? Or are you looking at old sessions.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.