Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hackett coming to the west coast!

I have one great seat to sell in the very front row for tonight's show at the Orpheum. Center Orchestra Row A. Asking face value $100.

Text me at 626-824-6250.

thanks Jay

I'll be arriving around 7 with wife and friends.....I may wear my new MoeTar shirt, if you're looking for me...or I may not!

You guys are in for a treat. And be prepared to sing.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Fabulous, fabulous show! Doesn't get much better than that, unless you have Gabriel. But I liked the lead singer's theatrical, but different, presentation.

Report from the Warfield in SF

I went Sunday night. Took the wife. Great experience. She didn't like Nad especially but I thought he was okay. I mean, he's singing the parts of two iconic singers. That's a tough job! He wasn't as rough on the high notes as some here had led me to believe he would be. And I did not find him over-the-top theatrical at all.

The drummer sang well on "Fly on a Windshield" and I thought he would have sung lead more often but he didn't.

It was basically the set I expected with two surprises (at least for me): "Lilywhite Lilith" and "The Knife" which were really great to hear live. I thought the two most impactful songs of the night were "Dance with the Moonlit Knight" and "The Musical Box". By impactful I mean really got the crowd into a frenzy. Well, as much as this kind of crowd can get whipped into a frenzy.

It would have been nice to see Steve cut lose a little more on guitar, but the few times he did was unforgettable.

I was so glad to be able to see him again. Hadn't seen him since the "Defector" tour. It was doubly great being able to see it with my wife who said, "Sometimes it sounds like noise to me on the recordings but seeing it live made me understand what they were getting at." Amen. I'd like to hear from others who went to the Warfield show.

Oh, yeah, and it was great hearing people sing along with "Supper's Ready". "A Flower?", indeed!
    Last edited by Chris Kemp; 12-11-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Steve asked the crowd if the dead ever played there.

I agree with Chris Kemp,the show was awesome. Steve asked us to sing along with Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and I did.

You're in for a real treat.

If you can, take your eyes off the performers & look around the room. It put a smile on my face to see all of us late middle-agers doing the head bonk!

And as Paulrus said, be prepared to sing. At least yell out, "A flower?" The band is expecting you to do so.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I sang, as well....and definitely noted lots of middle-aged head bonking! Air Drumming well represented, also.....

Here's my review from the other thread:

SF just ended. Simply incredible -- so many great moments.

You can tell these guys have been playing these songs for a while but they all still brought their A game. Steve's solo at the end of "Supper's Ready" was the most intense thing I've ever seen him do. Yes could really use a little of the fireworks and balls this show had in the guitar department.

I'll also add that what sets old Genesis music apart from the other Big 5 or 6 or whatever, is that it can be serious and heavy, but it can also be light and FUN. The whole singalong aspect is pretty much missing from most other prog music that suffers from taking itself way too seriously. These guys demonstrated how those records could go for the jugular musically, but still managed to invite you in like a friend you haven't seen for a long time. I couldn't help thinking afterwards "There's a reason SO many bands make you think of old Genesis -- because there's so many amazing things they did that are worth ripping off!"

But what this show did was remind me that there's nothing like the original.

P.S. I noticed flyers promoting the return of The Musical Box to the Regency in the spring (along with a Jon Anderson show). I thought TMB had called it quits -- no?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Paulrus, The Musical Box have NOT thrown in the towell. That seems to be a rumor every time they tour. They are touring next year doing two shows, Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound. In the cities where they are booked for two nights, they will do both shows.

I will likely see both Musical Box shows.......saw them do the Lamb here in SF, and they were sold out last time I tried to see them, so,......Awesome!

Seeing the show tonight in Seattle. Disappointed that he appears to have dropped 'Blood On The Rooftops'. Should be amazing anyway. Maybe I'll wear my Hackett shirt. (or perhaps my Thinking Plague shirt-decisions, decisions...)

Blood on the Rooftops == great.
    Lilywhite Lilith + The Knife == awesome.

You're getting a good deal.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'll be at the Seattle show tonight as well.

I'm looking forward to a great evening!

24 1/2 hours until the Vancouver show. Been waiting a long time.

Seattle show starts in 10 minutes! I'm in row A 1. Directly in front of Nick!

I'm not certain because the volume was so low,but did I hear Pink Floyd's The Endless River being played as the pre-show music on the 7th? Sure sounded like them.

Endless River was played before the Concord, NH show.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

^...and the Orpheum show.

^ ... and Seattle

What a great show it was. 'Firth of Fifth' and 'Suppers Ready' were highlights for me-they never sounded better. And the outro to 'Moonlit Knight'? Oh man... just tremendous. some other faves: 'Musical Box', 'Hogweed', 'Salmacis', 'Watcher...', 'Los Endos', 'Horizons', 'Fly On A Windshield', hey that's most of the show

....and Seattle brings Alan White to a Steve Hackett Concert! He was a few rows behind me.......I remember a few decades ago I sat next to him at a Rick & Adam Wakeman show at the Backstage also in Seattle.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I was at the Seattle show. I was in heaven. They evoked Genesis of forty years ago with authority. Quite the flashback since I witnessed the original on the Selling England, Lamb, Trick and Wind tours. Hackett and Co. are just as magical.

I was impressed with the vocalist- Where is he from? (I haven't informed myself on who these guys are that have been playing with Hackett)

Chose the first row balcony and the sound was excellent. I liked the sense of fun and humor displayed by all the musicians. Someone cried out "Close to the Edge"! when Hackett sat down with an acoustic. He replied that it was a funny thing that Alan White was attending and pointed to the audience where WHite was sitting.

Hey,

The vocalist is Nad Sylvan, who, before hooking up with Hackett, was best known as the lead singer for Agents of Mercy.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Hey,

The vocalist is Nad Sylvan, who, before hooking up with Hackett, was best known as the lead singer for Agents of Mercy.
    THANKS!