Thread: Genesis - Live Box Set ?????

Genesis - Live Box Set ?????

Is it worth getting for Live @ The Rainbow '73????

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Yes! You can read my review of the box here....

Even with the later vocals from Gabriel - I still think the Rainbow material is awesome.

Yes definitely, especially when you rip the extra tracks that are only on the DVD. Shame they didn't include the '07 live CD but I understand why they did that tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    As one who was there, I can say without reservation, "Yes!"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

So, I wonder if the overdubs simply get many people to seek out the original untouched recordings. I know that's the way I approach these re-works.

I've had the Rainbow show on bootleg vinyl for over 30 years and it is fantastic.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Yes definitely, especially when you rip the extra tracks that are only on the DVD. Shame they didn't include the '07 live CD but I understand why they did that tbh.
    Actually, you don't need to rip. If you bought the box they gave access to downloadable versions of the two tracks not on the CD (Watcher of the Skies and Musical Box if I recall correctly, because both had versions on Live).

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Oh yeah, and just for those who don't know...there was room in the box for the 07 reunion tour live CD....they didn't include it because the timing was so close that they (understandably, I think) didn't want to piss off those who'd just bought the '07 set.

I think it was a good call.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, I wonder if the overdubs simply get many people to seek out the original untouched recordings. I know that's the way I approach these re-works.

I've had the Rainbow show on bootleg vinyl for over 30 years and it is fantastic.
    Yes, but one thing about Gabriel back in the '70s....he did not have stamina, vocally. As great as he was, by about halfway through the set he began to get tired (vocally, I am speaking of) and began having trouble hitting a lot of the high notes, at least that's my recollection from the time.

Had his voice not aged as it had...becoming deeper and huskier...I suspect most folks wouldn't have known the difference. The difference is, indeed, obvious, but I'm ok with it because while the energy of the boots I've heard is great, he does, indeed also, have problems hitting some of those high notes from around halfway through the show forward. I was never one of those folks who were offended by his going in and fixing the material.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I was never one of those folks who were offended by his going in and fixing the material.
    Me neither. But, 30 years after the fact seems a bit too much for me. I'd rather have all the warts in place.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I was never one of those folks who were offended by his going in and fixing the material.
    I am. I hate it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I hate it, too. He could have made an effort to sound more like his younger self, and display a little enthusiasm as well. We all know there's a lot more great-sounding material that remains unissued from that era, too.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I hate it, too. He could have made an effort to sound more like his younger self, and display a little enthusiasm as well. We all know there's a lot more great-sounding material that remains unissued from that era, too.
    He'd never have been able to pull it off, honestly. Like someone said below, 30 years was too long to be able to do so credibly...his voice was deeper, huskier and had lost some of his upper range by the time he did it, so there's simply no way he could have pulled it off as you'd might have liked. I don't think it was a matter of him trying (or not); it was simply a matter of his voice having changed so much as to make it impossible to "punch in" without it sounding obvious.

On retrospect, while I am not bothered by it, I think I tend to agree with Ronmac that it would have been better with the original vocals' even if there were some cringe-worthy problems later in the set as he lost his vocal stamina. I do tend to prefer warts and all over tweaking 'til perfect. I guess I was just happy to have any live version of, for example, The Lamb, but yeah, it probably would have been better to have left it as-was.

Still doesn't bother me, but that said, I think I agree with Ronmac.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    We all know there's a lot more great-sounding material that remains unissued from that era, too.
    We do? I actually don't think there is; not from that era. If you mean the later 70's, then yes.

FWIW, I actually here far less vocal overdubs on this than on the Shrine Lamb. If I recall, Nick Davis actually said there weren't that many. If you listen to Cinema Show, for example, his voice cracks audibly in a few places - surely those would have been fixed.