Thread: Procol Harum s/t OOP?

Procol Harum s/t OOP?

I can't seem to find a copy of it. Any reason why?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I really doubt it would be OOP...

It one of those albums that has received so many different releases, that it's highly unlikely that there aren't any new copies left in stock...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well, that's what I would've thought, too.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I can't seem to find a copy of it. Any reason why?
    Amazon has several options.. mind you a bit pricey..

Salvo reissued these and also The Move's catalogue that was on the same label in the 60s, Regal Zonophone (though goodness knows who owns that now). I've noticed that The Move's albums have also gone out of print, perhaps the licensing deal has run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I really doubt it would be OOP...

It one of those albums that has received so many different releases, that it's highly unlikely that there aren't any new copies left in stock...
    I had to look for a used copy at discogs to get on reasonably priced (I wanted the salvo as it had a lot of bonus tracks), along with a couple others. I am happy I picked up their Move reissues when I did, as they are generally pricey.

It's a drag, as Salvo's versions, beyond bonus tracks, sound best to my ears of any recent reissues of PH. YOu can still get the salvo box, which has all the really essential stuff (well almost) for a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    It's a drag, as Salvo's versions, beyond bonus tracks, sound best to my ears of any recent reissues of PH.
    Major exception: their appalling botch job on Shine on Brightly. It was mastered at the wrong speed, which makes it almost unlistenable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Major exception: their appalling botch job on Shine on Brightly. It was mastered at the wrong speed, which makes it almost unlistenable to me.
    Shit....I did not know that and hadn't heard the original in decades. How far off was it?

The Salvo CD of Broken Barricades would easily make my Top 10 worst remasters.

Truly pathetic. They took one of the most magnificent recordings and butchered it.

After hearing that one plus reading about the speed problem on SOB, I decided to pass on anything else from them.

Last time I checked, Waterloo Records here in Austin had most of those reissues in stock, call 'em and have 'em mail it to you...

Shit....I did not know that and hadn't heard the original in decades. How far off was it?
    I've read that it is less than a semitone, although it sounds to me like it throws the songs into the wrong key, and it's definitely sped up enough to make Brooker's voice sound weird.

[QUOTE=JeffCarney;255302]The Salvo CD of Broken Barricades would easily make my Top 10 worst remasters.

Truly pathetic. They took one of the most magnificent recordings and butchered it.

Butchered it how? The reason I ask is that I bought broken barricades on Salvo about a year ago and was finally just getting around to listen to it. I have not heard this album before anywhere. My ears are virgins to this album. I hope she isn't too soiled,

Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post

Butchered it how? The reason I ask is that I bought broken barricades on Salvo about a year ago and was finally just getting around to listen to it. I have not heard this album before anywhere. My ears are virgins to this album. I hope she isn't too soiled,
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R2JLEYD...R2JLEYDIPTOVFH

The first album, surprisingly, is out of print in the US. There are import versions from Japan that are still available.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Thanks, Jeff. Do I assume, then, that you're good with the other remasters from Salvo?

There was that box-set that Westside did which I got for next to nothing in some clearance sale, which had basically everything they did for Regal Zonophone, but unfortunately they didn't put the song 'A Salty Dog' with the album itself, they put it on a 'singles' disc. The reasoning behind that isn't clear to me, on Wikipedia the time suggests both albums would just about have fit on one disc. What a shame.

Thanks, Jeff. Do I assume, then, that you're good with the other remasters from Salvo?
    Not if you read Post # 9 more attentively.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There was that box-set that Westside did which I got for next to nothing in some clearance sale, which had basically everything they did for Regal Zonophone, but unfortunately they didn't put the song 'A Salty Dog' with the album itself, they put it on a 'singles' disc. The reasoning behind that isn't clear to me, on Wikipedia the time suggests both albums would just about have fit on one disc. What a shame.
    That set was heavily treated with digital noise reduction. They could have put the whole catalog on it and it would still sell for squat because the word got around that it sounded like crap. The individual Westside CDs have a far better reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    The Salvo CD of Broken Barricades would easily make my Top 10 worst remasters.

After hearing that one plus reading about the speed problem on SOB, I decided to pass on anything else from them.
    Exotic birds and fruit sounds exactly the same.God knows what they were thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Not if you read Post # 9 more attentively.
    Yeah, I did see it after I posted....

Waterloo doesn't have the debut in stock, sorry. Just went by there.

No worries. I'll check my brick and mortar next time I'm out. I'm sure it'll come back out sooner or later.