Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruford - One of a Kind (Remaster)

Bruford - One of a Kind (Remaster)

According to the Bruford website, One of a Kind is remastered with a bonus track...anyone have this....Bonus track worth the purchase????

I'm not big on getting remasters of albums I already have, but this may be an exception, especially if there's some long lost track from this band, one of my all time favorites!

Remastered from the original master tapes ?
    That is the question

No, it's a live track called "Manacles" that was never recorded in the studio. It's good, clocks in at 7:22, but it's not high-quality sound. I tried buying just that individual track but couldn't find it anywhere (at the time, anyway) so I just downloaded it so I could check it out.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Its John Clark who plays the guitar on that track.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    No, it's a live track called "Manacles" that was never recorded in the studio. It's good, clocks in at 7:22, but it's not high-quality sound. I tried buying just that individual track but couldn't find it anywhere (at the time, anyway) so I just downloaded it so I could check it out.
    "Manacles" is a title that only appeared for this reissue. Back in the day the piece was introduced as "Line Two" - i.e. #2 from a series of vibraphone lines which formed the basis of Bruford's earliest compositions for his debut album "Feels Good To Me". "Line One" became "Beelzebub", and "Line Three" became "If You Can't Stand The Heat". "Line Two" remained unrecorded and retained its original working title... until recently.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Fitting this topic came up today as it happens to be Mr B's Bday
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    YEESH... I hope the version on the remaster sounds better than *that*
    fun composition though
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I've posted my DR of the original US release alongside the already-posted re-master:
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...=one+of+a+kind

The remaster appears to be marginally louder, but has retained the same DR as the original.
    I do not have the re-master, so I cannot comment on the SQ.
    The bonus live track has a very different DR from the rest.

The remaster is identical to the original, except for a tiny bit of overall level boost. I actually wrote to the Bruford/Winterfold folks at the time asking WTF? and they basically shrugged their shoulders (in reply).

^ This!

The original vinyl is the way to hear this masterpiece!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    ^ This!

The original vinyl is the way to hear this masterpiece!
    No idea why this album's transfer to digital has such poor results
    stellar musicians recorded in one of the best studios in the 70's by a great engineer
    original tapes lost ?
    What about Feel's Good To Me ?

Not sure if anyone is aware but most of the album is on this old CD, if one doesn't care for later 'remastered' sound:

https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Bruford...elease/1936063

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    The remaster is identical to the original, except for a tiny bit of overall level boost.
    Also to these ears.

I have a japanese LP version of Feels Good, that sounds way better than my original LP, are there any japanese versions of One of a kind out there worth considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Also to these ears.

I have a japanese LP version of Feels Good, that sounds way better than my original LP, are there any japanese versions of One of a kind out there worth considering?

The remastered Feels Good to Me actually *is* different from the original CD. It is less trebly. (Which I think is a good thing)

I think the Bruford albums are being reissued soon, considering Sid Smith's recent tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    I think the Bruford albums are being reissued soon, considering Sid Smith's recent tweets.
    That'd be cool. The last Earthworks album I bought arrived and it was a CD-R. I checked the Amazon listing and it was indicated clearly that it was an on-demand CD-R, but I guess I didn't notice. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the CD-R except that the minimalist slightly blurry booklet with a blank inside made me examine it more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That'd be cool. The last Earthworks album I bought arrived and it was a CD-R. I checked the Amazon listing and it was indicated clearly that it was an on-demand CD-R, but I guess I didn't notice. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the CD-R except that the minimalist slightly blurry booklet with a blank inside made me examine it more closely.
    Interesting... which one was that? I have the entire Earthworks catalogue on CD and none of mine are CD-Rs...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    could you provide a link?

I searched for @thesidsmith bruford but didn't find any reissues mentioned.

Interesting... which one was that? I have the entire Earthworks catalogue on CD and none of mine are CD-Rs...
    Presumably one that went out of print after you bought it. Lemme check...

^^^ Hmmm... I've never noticed on-demand CD-Rs from Amazon before.. perhaps Amazon Canada doesn't do that, I don't know. I did buy a couple of those from Amazon a while back and found to my surprise that they were bundled with another Earthworks album each! Not a "2-albums-on-1-disc" deal either. Two wrapped CDs in a plastic slip case... odd that they didn't advertise it that way!

^^^ Hmmm... I've never noticed on-demand CD-Rs from Amazon before.. perhaps Amazon Canada doesn't do that, I don't know.
    1. Amazon does a ton of on demand CD-Rs; you need to read the listing to be certain you are getting a silver CD with them and some things (both old AND new, if small label/small band).

2. As bad as them being CD-Rs, Amazon sources from their mp3 files; they aren't even full resolution!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This is an example of how the Earthworks CD-R looks. It says (C) 1999 Bill Bruford Productions Ltd. next to the little thumbnail of the artwork, and there are no credits anywhere.

As for them being sourced from MP3, I've read that it's up to the rights holder which file format gets sent to Amazon; some use lossless, some don't.