Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NewEARS Presents - A Day Of Prog 5/31 Arlington MA

^ Your welcome, Rick!

You better tell your wife that Linda SWMBO will be a bit of a project ( Lou, and you too if he actually shows you this, Linda).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'd be remiss if I didn't post a link to our good friends at NewEars, our regional promoters of many great shows in the Boston area.

www.newears.org

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    ( Lou, and you too if he actually shows you this, Linda).
    Seriously, Linda is pretty cool. This will be her first prog show. I'm hoping it won't be her last. I hope she appreciates prog as does your wife, Rick, and Steve's Kay.
    Last edited by Lopez; 05-22-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Very sorry I'm going to miss this, but we're flying out of the country for two weeks the night before the show. Looks like a great lineup and I hope attendance is good, because I think this "mini festival" is a super idea and I'm glad NewEARS is pursuing it.

Bill

Just bumpity bumping the thread to encourage attendance at what promises to be great day of Prog tomorrow right outside Boston! I'll try to organize a small PE group pic with Lou and Linda, my wife Karen, Doug (if Gravedigger is not Afraid of Sunlight); weather sounds perfect, Regent's a great venue. I'll probably wear my as-yet-unworn Transatlantic sweatshirt and my NJ Proghouse Reunion weekend T-shirt! Look for us there (my wife's the pretty one)!

www.newears.org

Rick

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Woo woo

I'll be there. I'm undecided on which shirt to wear though it may be my US National Soccer jersey with NOGBAD on the back.

See you there.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I'll try to organize a small PE group pic
    Depending on when this happens, I'd love to be included. I'll be visiting with family friends for some of the time and the band sound-checks in the late afternoon. It's quite possible the timing will be off, but I'll do my best.

Cool Brian! Very much looking forward to seeing IZZ for the third time (MarProg, NJ Proghouse Reunion w/e)! Still loving the heck out of "Crush of Night".

Anyone know how many tix sold?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Tomorrow night I will take some small solace in the fact that while I can't be there for this great lineup, at least Kay & I are going to see Sean Lennon & his cover girl model/bass player/harmony singer/girlfriend and their Saber Tooth Tiger band at a local club (cap.350) tomorrow night.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I'll try to organize a small PE group pic
    We're in, Rick. We'll try to get there a bit before the doors open. Heck, we're only two miles away. I'll be wearing my RED shirt; not KC Red, just plain old red. I asked Linda if she wanted to wear one of my ProgDay shirts - she just gave me a "you've got to be kidding" look.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I asked Linda if she wanted to wear one of my ProgDay shirts - she just gave me a "you've got to be kidding" look.

Just about lost my breakfast!

Apparently there are no bars round here, having a Long Island ice tea in a chinese restaurant
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quick review (as I have to be up at 5:30am to go to work)

IZZ- professional and tight as always
    Resistor- big improvement from when I saw them a few years back... seemed more confident onstage
    Sonus Umbra- they... kicked... ASS!
    Might Could- loved the fun interplay between the instruments... probably my favorite of the day
    Baked Beans- a short set by high school sophomores... always encouraging to see young'uns getting into prog and fusion
    Mavara- hard not to be moved by their heartfelt love for music ("rock music is illegal where we come from")...
    fun hangin' with Sina, the group's bassist

The NEWEars team is to be congratulated! They are hoping to make this an annual event.

...and its always great to see Carla moving about taking photographs...Yowza!!

It was certainly a fun day, great to see the bands and meeting friends, particularly Uncle Norm in from Chicago, plus Phil, Anne, Donna & Dave (the Margarita run crowd).

Sonus Umbra - seriously fun, heavier than I thought they'd be.
    Might Could - great interplay between the guitars, probably my favorite performance
    Resistor - Classic Rock mixed with proggy elements, pretty good, I could have done without the cheesy illuminated violin bow.
    Mavara - nice start to the day, better performance than ProgDay, good fun set, singer needs to work on his stage presence.
    Baked Beans - missed the start of he set due to a drinks run, what I heard sounded like good fusion
    Izz - missed them due to be being too tired and having an hour of public transport to get home.

Probably upwards of 100 people there for the evening session, probably closer to 50 in the afternoon, hope they had enough fans to justify putting it on again as it was fun. Only complaint was that the venue was dry so had to head outside to local restaurants for a drink in the 20 minutes between bands. Arlington seems devoid of bars. I realize that the Regent was a late switch when the original venue didn't get their permits but in future I prefer to be able to get a beer or two.

Congratulations to the NewEARS team for an excellent fun event, hope it becomes an annual event.
    Ian

We had a really great time yesterday (other than getting back to the wilds of WestMass at 2 a.m.). Wonderful that Brett, who we went to Hampshire College in Amherst with back in the '70s came to the event, many of you from the area may know Brett from his years of music journalism for the now-defunct Phoenix as well as the Boston Globe, in addition to his book documenting the history of the Boston rock scene. Enjoyed hanging with Nogbad, Doug(Gravedigger), Lou (Lopez) and his wife Linda. We enjoyed all the bands, were charmed by the Arlington High School sophomores, picked up CDs by Mavara (cool Iranian neo-prog) and Resistor, whose high-energy set was a perfect post-dinner/drinks wake-up call. IZZ is always just plain fun and as noted above, always a well-honed act. Thanks to Al, Fred and all at NewEars for a great day, and great to see the NJ Proghouse contingent lending support and more!

Yes, indeedy, it was great time yesterday. Enjoyed spending time with Rick and wife (Cathy/Kathy, right? With a C or a K?), meeting Brett (I certainly remember his reviews of the local Boston scene having been a Rat packer myself in the late 70s/early 80s), meeting Luis of Sonus Umbra (when I mentioned you, Steve, his face lit up), and renewing my acquaintance with Anis of Mavara. The music was great. I especially enjoyed Might Could. Wifey Linda did, too. I bought her their entire catalogue from Luis. Baked Beans, the band of sophomores from Arlington High, were wonderful; starting off with "21st Century Schizoid Man" was risky, but they carried it off very well and showed us that there is still prog life in some young 'uns.

The crowd was small, and I too hope it was enough to justify NewEars doing another Day of Prog. Many thanks to NewEars and the Regent Theatre.
    Lou

My SWMBO is Karen (with a "K"!) She had been to the Regent for great Hackett/Renaissance pairing a few years back but never experienced the joys of the late lamented Magic Room, NewEars' most recent "home".

We had a really great time yesterday (other than getting back to the wilds of WestMass at 2 a.m.). Wonderful that Brett, who we went to Hampshire College in Amherst with back in the '70s came to the event, many of you from the area may know Brett from his years of music journalism for the now-defunct Phoenix as well as the Boston Globe, in addition to his book documenting the history of the Boston rock scene.
    Great to see Rick and Karen as well-- We now have many decades of prog shows between us!

COnsidering I wasn't planning to go to this show and wound up staying from first to last, I'd say I had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I bought her their entire catalogue from Luis. Baked Beans, the band of sophomores from Arlington High, were wonderful; starting off with "21st Century Schizoid Man" was risky, but they carried it off very well and showed us that there is still prog life in some young 'uns.
    Nice to meet you too! And re. Baked Beans-- It hit me later that it was the first time I'd heard "21st Century Schizoid Man" performed by people who were (I think?) born in the 21st century!

My SWMBO is Karen (with a "K"!) She had been to the Regent for great Hackett/Renaissance pairing a few years back but never experienced the joys of the late lamented Magic Room, NewEars' most recent "home".
    Sorry about the spelling error. I will not forget again. I should take one of those memory courses before I get dementia.

Linda, as well, never experienced the Magic Room. That was a wonderful place. So many great Boston clubs and performance spaces are gone.
    Lou

Great review of "the Day", as it shall henceforth be known, by our own Brett:

http://artsfuse.org/107962/fuse-conc...f-celebration/

Arlington's a dry town - is it not ??? I remember seeing TFK there years ago and this was the case - - -

Fantastic venue though - nice little theater ... and the show sounded mad fun.

Glad you all could meet up - - -

Hi Josef,

Dry is correct. No liquor stores and no bars. I believe restaurants can have a liquor license if they have a certain capacity. Same as the town I live in Medford, but we do have liquor stores.

Looking forward to ProgDay and seeing you and the family again.
    Lou