Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daevid Allen Needs Operation, Tour Postponed

Daevid Allen Needs Operation, Tour Postponed

From the Planet Gong website :

"We regret to announce that Gong must withdraw from this year's June and July Festival dates as daevid allen needs an operation. Please focus healing thoughts in his direction."

Hope all goes well...

Here's hoping it's nothing too serious and that he gets better soon.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Their Fall-Winter tour still seems to be a go. That's quite promising that the health issue isn't that serious. He's not a young pup anymore, except in his head! Positive vibes sent.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Update from Orlando Allen's FB page:
    "Gong news update - Daevid is at home and in good spirits, the operation is coming up in 2 weeks so fingers crossed and with a lot's of positive vibrations, he will be back to himself within a couple of months* We are working full-steam on the new Gong album and single ( which is being pressed to Vinyl as well ) set for release this September on Snapper/Madfish - Sadly we had to cancel our headline slot at the Glade Stage Glastonbury Festival as well as Israel, Moscow and Finland. We are all relieved that its not as bad as originally thought and hopefully we will be back on track for the European CD/launch tour. many thanks all the support, I will pass on to Daevid "

Latest news from Jonny....
    "So...daevid continues at home with son Ynys being the vital buttress preparing food, cleaning, etc. Father and son go for short walks on the beach both sporting identical close-shorn haircuts looking, according to daevid, like peas in a pod - albeit one fresh-faced pea, the other a bit more wrinkly.

The operation scheduled for Monday 26th probably will not take place then - something about queues, and waiting lists - the usual stuff. It may not take place for 2 or 3 weeks. Whether that is 'good', 'bad', or just is I have no idea."

A REALLY nice Daevid interview from not too long ago....

http://www.messandnoise.com/icons/4657072

Great interview! I wrote some of my best music after seeing Gong in Montreal in 1997. Daevid was very inspirational to me.

Really superb piece. Thanks for the link.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I see that Steve Hillage and System 7 have stepped into the Glade Stage headline slot at Glastonbury with a few Gong alumni, wish I had a ticket, but I failed on all three sale and re-sale dates, as demand was crazy this year.

This is really a very nice article on Daevid. Thank you very much for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    This is really a very nice article on Daevid. Thank you very much for sharing!
    Seconded.

And that pic of him and Gilli S. at the table - WHEW, these folks have seen some age and history!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

here is a great nearly one hour interview from last year
    Some very interesting stuff here

http://frome.fm/programmes/music-fea...switch-doctor/

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    here is a great nearly one hour interview from last year
    Some very interesting stuff here

http://frome.fm/programmes/music-fea...switch-doctor/
    Some really political views Daevid has as a (self described) 'planeteer' are covered. Great stuff ! Thanks Udi !

Well wishes to the Alien...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Jonny Greene : "The op must have gone better than hoped as Daevid didn't have to go into intensive care for 24 hours as expected.
    fingers crossed, it's all looking pretty dam reasonable. I don't think we are going to get rid of him just yet.
    Daevid himself is naturally in high spirits."

Jonny Greene : "The op must have gone better than hoped as Daevid didn't have to go into intensive care for 24 hours as expected.
    fingers crossed, it's all looking pretty dam reasonable. I don't think we are going to get rid of him just yet.
    Daevid himself is naturally in high spirits."
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Awesome news, Udi. Thanks for sharing it with us. Daevid is a global treasure. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Very good news.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Sadly we had to cancel our headline slot at the Glade Stage Glastonbury Festival as well as Israel, Moscow and Finland.
    What amazes me is that he still has the energy to tour all over the world at age 75.
    With his fractured arm and a cyst on his neck needing to be removed, Allen is a bit sceptical about the tour later this year. “Well, we’ve got 30 or 40 dates to do and if they don’t fix me up soon, I’m not sure how I’m going to do it.”
    Is this what the operation was about?
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-12-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Yikes, that probably requires chemo or radiation after the surgery. Those are soul-sucking -- he may be inactive for a spell.

I'm all in favor of "focusing healing thoughts" on Daevid's neck but the real work must be done by science.

Latest News from Daevid Himself :""Hi everyone,

As you have probably heard I have just had a life threatening operation to have a cancer in my neck removed. I am relieved to hear from the surgeons that the cancer is fully contained and with six weeks of radiation therapy they expect a full recovery. As a result of this I have been advised to rest at least until the end of the year.

In the mean time this excellent band will continue to promote our new Album out on Snapper Records in September and fulfil the extended autumn UK/ European tour schedule booked.

I have to reassure you in full confidence and with my blessings that this band can easily put on a great show successfully without me. I have to say that after the last tour of Brazil I finished the shows with the feeling that this is one of the most exciting and dynamic Gong line ups to date.

The band for the tour is: The brilliant and accomplished new guitarist Kavus Torabi (ex Cardiacs) on guitar and vocals with the superb Brazillian solo and glissando guitarist Fabio Golfetti, My son Orlando Allen on both vocals and drums, the sinuous Dave Sturt on Bass, electronics and vocals and virtuoso Ian East 'winds' on horns and flutes.

This will be a fire cracker of a show, and due to the unexpected circumstances we have labeled it the Gong - You Can't Kill Me Tour - 2014, including new songs promoting the album and some classic Gong favourites to please the fans. There will also be surprise guests throughout the tour from the history of Gong, including original members Steve Hillage, Didier Malherbe and a range of other well established performers who have expressed their full support and willingness to be involved, plus a fantastic light show and projections by Jasper Johns the No 1 artist in this field.

Of course, by supporting the Gong band in my absence, you will also be giving energy to my swift recovery and my return to the UK/Europe as soon as it's humanly possible to perform. The release of the new album and this current line-up that will be touring this year means a lot to me, to Gong and to the next years of my performance in the UK and Europe.

My hugest thanks to everyone involved in making this tour happen without me and to all of you who have already swamped me with loving vibes, positive energies and support for this years Tour without me. It's reassuring to feel such strong support for this years tour and new album See you on the other side of my little setback!

With all my full hearted love,

cheese!"

Daevid Allen

Well, that seems positive! Get well soon, Daevid.

That is a really nice, direct and honest, and amazingly positive note from Daevid, considering all he is dealing with.

Thank you for posting it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.