Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: What are Your Pop Culture Dealbreakers?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I go out of my way to not call back quickly, unless it's really important. I think it's important to manage people's expectations. I'm at my computer all day. If I wanted to, I could reply to client e-mails immediately. But, that sends a message that I am not busy and, worse yet, are at their beck and call, which I am not. The last thing I want a client to think is that I am subservient to them. It makes for a terrible working relationship and one that garners me no respect from them. If they don't respect me, I cannot have a very productive relationship with them. After all, the customer is NOT always right. If they were, they wouldn't need us.
    Agreed. Add that with certain occupations a person tied to a smartphone sends a message that he will not be devoting his full attention and time to your needs. I now am involved in home improvements and sometimes deal with new to me members of the trades when farming out parts of a job. If during an estimate the guy is texting and fiddling with his phone, not only is he wasting my time right there on the spot, but how much time texting will be billed to me if he actually does the work?Time is money. And focus is important. I do see the need for some to have constant connection to email etc, but the majority of people staring at their smartphones are wasting their time. I just don't want my time wasted, or my safety compromised by some fool oblivious to his surroundings. Other than that ,text away.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    OK, here's one, and I see it a bit too much on this forum. Misuse of the term "haters".

Some people's definition of "hater" seems to be someone who does not enjoy the same music/literature/films that they enjoy. Branding someone a "hater" for that reason is lazy; it's dismissing the person as someone whose opinions are not worth considering because they are a nasty little person who likes to do mean things to people. Not at all. It's nothing more than having a different opinion. You probably wouldn't like being called a "fanboy", which implies slavish adulation, so by the same token don't call someone else a "hater" just because they don't like listening to Tom Waits.
    in my case, they are usually right....i do hate their music, books, films and tv shows.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Where is it illegal?

In California, you can use your phone (for talking) while driving as long as you have a headset or hands-free via car radio.
    Same in Washington state, even though I see people with phones to their ears all the time.

I don't really have a problem with that, personally, as long as you still have one hand on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Heck, I've been using a phone in the car since the days of the old bag phones. My aunt sold me hers when I got my first job out of college and I had a longish commute to my first job. The receiver was a full-sized phone receiver, with the curly wire that led into the phone bag, which I kept under my seat. The antenna was on another wire and clipped to the side window -- you rolled up the window to hold it in place. Back then, the few of us who had mobile phones didn't really think much about distracted driving, because (1) the phone was so bulky and awkward that you didn't use it frequently anyway and (2) holding the receiver really wasn't much different from doing any other activity in the car that requires the use of one hand, like eating while you're driving, or changing the radio station, or fiddling with the climate controls. I think the big problem nowadays isn't so much talking on the phone and driving -- because, really, it's not much different from carrying on a conversation with someone in the car -- as it is taking your eyes off the road for prolonged stretches of time to text, read e-mail, browse the Web, fiddle with your apps, or any number of other things that common sense should tell you that you shouldn't be doing while you're operating a vehicle.

It all went south when telephones turned into pocket-sized computers, IMO.

(Mind you, I say all this as someone who hardly ever uses a telephone anymore, in the car or out.)

Reality TV. The only reality show I've ever liked was Deadliest Catch. Oh, and I did like the two year run of Everest.

To echo the late great Yanks, anyone who is interested in the goings on with the Kardashians. Everyone see this pathetic nightmare of photo-maniputlation?

http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/11/kim-...ine-cover.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

gag.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    To echo the late great Yanks, anyone who is interested in the goings on with the Kardashians. Everyone see this pathetic nightmare of photo-maniputlation?

http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/11/kim-...ine-cover.html
    Eh, I've seen worse things than that, but I've never seen any of the Kardashians before. I have a feeling her personality is part of the equation , but I know nothing about them.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    gag.
    You don't like to see a shiny caboose?

Suspended
    Re the above few posts: people who are famous for being famous. eg. the Kardashians, Miley Cyrus, Paris Hilton,
    I have no idea how many Kardashians there are, or what they do, apart from generate gossip.

Yup, reality shows and vapid poptarts (and that's not sexist, I hate male vapid poptarts just as much).

Kim Kardashian is a vapid reprehensible waste of air but I do like me some big shiny butt.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Kim Kardashian is a vapid reprehensible waste of air but I do like me some big shiny butt.
    Is that what she's famous for? Shows how much I know.
    Of course, being a poof, this kind of thing just passes me by.

Is that what she's famous for? Shows how much I know.
    Of course, being a poof, this kind of thing just passes me by.
    I believe it started with a sex tape, like Paris Hilton, another dimwitted never-was with rich parents.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Is that what she's famous for?
    As far as I can tell, that, and the guys that have sex with it.

Re the above few posts: people who are famous for being famous. eg. the Kardashians, Miley Cyrus, Paris Hilton,
    I have no idea how many Kardashians there are, or what they do, apart from generate gossip.
    Well, to be fair, Miley had an extremely popular kids TV show (Hannah Montana) and now has a pretty successful singing career. I wouldn't put her in this group.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl
    Yep.

I believe it started with a sex tape, like Paris Hilton, another dimwitted never-was with rich parents.
    The sextape, the famous (or infamous) father, the reality TV show, the pimp for a Mom....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The sextape, the famous (or infamous) father, the reality TV show, the pimp for a Mom....
    Apparently, today's recipe for achieving the American Dream.

The esteemed sage and philosopher Tina Fey on celebrities' causing body image problems for women and then a cutting remark on KK.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kimberleydad...relevant-as-ev
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Right on Tina. Thank god men have never had to live up to a bunch of impossible standards imposed on them by society.

Actually Miley Cyrus became famous for playing Hannah Montana for years on the Disney Channel.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Thank god men have never had to live up to a bunch of impossible standards imposed on them by society.

That thing looks like a pair of Thanksgiving turkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hey, you've given me an idea!!

Hey, you've given me an idea!!
    It has to do with stuffing, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Butterballs?

Just a little too much jamon for me.