Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What are Your Pop Culture Dealbreakers?

Facebook ,for sure. Twitter? Who "follows " people anyway? Answer;twits.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Facebook ,for sure. Twitter? Who "follows " people anyway? Answer;twits.
    People who "don't like" Twitter "don't get" Twitter.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Disco----it wasn't a style of music; it was a social disease. And funk and soul are not the same as disco. The definition of disco is funk and soul music with the funk and soul removed.

I agree with people who are famous for being famous. Self-important twits.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Disco----it wasn't a style of music; it was a social disease. And funk and soul are not the same as disco. The definition of disco is funk and soul music with the funk and soul removed.
    Forgot all about that...makes me wish I saved my old "Disco Sucks" shirt
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Reality TV / game shows, with the exception of Jeopardy, of course. I can't for the life of me understand the appeal or the cultural value of "The Price is Right".

Just about everything that has already been listed here. I'm just glad I grew up when I did.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Just about everything that has already been listed here. I'm just glad I grew up when I did.
    The bad part is we had to grow up.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The bad part is we had to grow up.
    Speak for yourself. I never did, nor do I plan to, conform to aging.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My pop culture dealbreaker: an interest in pop culture. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Reality TV / game shows, with the exception of Jeopardy, of course. I can't for the life of me understand the appeal or the cultural value of "The Price is Right".
    The Price is Right is high-end culture compared to the morons on Wheel of Fortune.

I swear, you have to fail an IQ test to make it on that show.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've been watching the Battle of the Decades on Jeopardy. Usually I can hang in there with a lot of the questions but man, they cranked up the difficulty level for the semi-finals. When you see Ken Jennings bewildered you know it's getting tough (though it hasn't stomped Jennings from powering through to the finals).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ That kinda reminds me of one: Those who think The Beatles are "overrated."

Seriously? I can understand if you don't care for them. But, overrated?
    It's some of the hardcore fans that get to me. The fans who think the world of music started and ended with The Beatles. Those are the scary ones.

Seth MacFarlane humor, creations
    Family Guy, South Park, etc.
    The Big Bang & other sitcoms--not funny to me

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    South Park
    Especially.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I just thought of another one:

When someone says they don't like black-and-white movies.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    TMZ
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

The obsession with no-talent reality show "stars" is very disturbing. I can handle watching Dancing with the Stars with my wife because hey, it's a dream show for a leg man but neither of us can stomach anything else in the reality genre other than travel shows.

No one can get me running faster from a conversation than someone who is obsessed with conspiracy theories whether it's JFK, UFOs, Shakespeare didn't write his own plays, 9/11, etc.

political-pictures-im-totally-unprotected.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    It's some of the hardcore fans that get to me. The fans who think the world of music started and ended with The Beatles. Those are the scary ones.
    I'm afraid I may be one of those scary ones

Seriously, you're correct - the world of music did not start and end with The Beatles, but the landscape of the popular music world (and in some cases the world in general) was drastically changed nearly every time they released a new album. It's hard to imagine a single band having that effect now, but The Beatles influenced not only the music industry and how things were done, but also the worlds of art, fashion, and popular culture. I like to refer to this article from time to time for some perspective on just how revolutionary the Beatles and their accomplishments were.

http://www.cybermidi.com/news/index....-beatle-firsts
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

No one can get me running faster from a conversation than someone who is obsessed with conspiracy theories whether it's JFK, UFOs, Shakespeare didn't write his own plays, 9/11, etc.

political-pictures-im-totally-unprotected.jpg
    Oh, man, I love a good conspiracy theory!

I don't believe most of them, and I probably couldn't hold a conversation with a "true believer," but the theories themselves are often fascinating. I'm always amazed at how they're able to ignore so many facts.

I just thought of another one:

When someone says they don't like black-and-white movies.
    A Christmas Carol (1951)----If it isn't in black and white, it should not be watched.

Also, I LOVE all the old Marx Brothers and Abbott and Costello movies.

Don't put arms back on the Venus de Milo
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Shows like "Buying Alaska" which glorify snobby rich people. Who cares if it doesn't have 5 bathrooms and 6 garages, it's better than what most people can afford!!

I am a HUGE Beatles fan. I have been for nearly 50 years. I have everything they released and hundreds of unreleased recordings. I consider them the greatest and most influential band ever. In all my years, I have yet to meet ANYONE who thinks the music world began and ended with them. In fact, the only time I hear such phrases is from people accusing Beatles fans of thinking that way.

I am a HUGE Beatles fan. I have been for nearly 50 years. I have everything they released and hundreds of unreleased recordings. I consider them the greatest and most influential band ever. In all my years, I have yet to meet ANYONE who thinks the music world began and ended with them. In fact, the only time I hear such phrases is from people accusing Beatles fans of thinking that way.
    I have a bunch of those people who I'd love for you to meet. They exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I have a bunch of those people who I'd love for you to meet. They exist.
    In your mind.

In your mind.
    Nah. Pure reality.