Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: King Crimson Starless box set

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ However, you won't be able to experience that "Full Box Set" satisfaction. There'll be a Starless Box Set-shaped hole in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Anybody who's heard the whole thing at least once have an opinion on their favorite show? Favorite performances of individual tracks?
    The Arlington gig is great, even if the sound quality is a bit lacking. (Technically, it's a bonus and not part of the main course.) "Improv II" in particular is marvelous - a better performance than its sibling "Tight Scrummy". The slightly distant and echoey sound actually works in favor of that track.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    ATTN: any victims of the defective disc #23:

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/disc-23...x-set%20-udate

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The latest Hot Tickle is an unmolested Night Watch from Glasgow (the one in the box has another night's solo pasted into it).
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do they give a reason for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I read somewhere (Great Deceiver liner notes?) that they liked the 'spirit' of the Glasgow performance but didn't want to release it 'as was'.
    That kind of shit is just annoying.

Yes! Thanks for the post, I just checked it and the bastard wouldn't budge! It won't load in my Oppo Blu-Ray player, and has a yellower look than the other disks as they described. Did someone piss on them or something? Anyway, I just emailed the dude they say to email, though I wasn't certain he was the person to contact for a DGM US order.

It does seem like some of the DVDs/BDs have audio material that's not on the CDs in any form, which is sort of annoying. IMO the audio should all be on CD in some form, then duplicated on DVDs/BDs in the more exotic formats.

Is that true? I honestly don't recall anything on the DVD/BR discs that wasn't present on a CD in the set (audio-wise). But maybe I'm forgetting something...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Is that true? I honestly don't recall anything on the DVD/BR discs that wasn't present on a CD in the set (audio-wise). But maybe I'm forgetting something...
    IIRC there's lossless versions of Glasgow and Zurich material otherwise presented in CD format and multiple different mixes of the Amsterdam show one of which was used for Nightwatch.

Ah, okay.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

IIRC there's lossless versions of Glasgow and Zurich material otherwise presented in CD format and multiple different mixes of the Amsterdam show one of which was used for Nightwatch.
    I think I was mistaken about something, but one of the BDs contains what DGM describes as "a previously unheard preparatory of material from the [1973 Concertgebow show] prepared by George Chkiantz," but in the booklet this is identified as Amsterdam Concertgebow 1974 Mix, and I thought this was referring to a different, 1974 show. But I guess the mix of the 1973 show was done in 1974, preparing for the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    The 2009 40th Anniversary deluxe Red is the only other place where the ORTF concert appears in video form (on the DVD-A).
    But the Starless Blu-Ray features 5 tracks, while the Red DVD only has 4 tracks? Why is that?

Yes! Thanks for the post, I just checked it and the bastard wouldn't budge! It won't load in my Oppo Blu-Ray player, and has a yellower look than the other disks as they described. Did someone piss on them or something? Anyway, I just emailed the dude they say to email, though I wasn't certain he was the person to contact for a DGM US order.

It does seem like some of the DVDs/BDs have audio material that's not on the CDs in any form, which is sort of annoying. IMO the audio should all be on CD in some form, then duplicated on DVDs/BDs in the more exotic formats.
    I received the replacement Blu-Ray disk yesterday, from Bartosz in Poland! It works!

I received the replacement Blu-Ray disk yesterday, from Bartosz in Poland!
    Me too! I had just about given up on receiving anything.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Me too! I had just about given up on receiving anything.
    I checked in with him once after a few weeks and he was still waiting for the new batch of verified disks. I was surprised how minimal the packaging was to protect it for its trip from Poland!

Somehow I feel like it's going to be hard to throw out the bad disk! I should use it as a coaster.

Heads up - I just saw Panegyric are reissuing the Starless boxset on 21st June 2019 if you've been looking for it. (It might take you the rest of the summer to listen to all of it. But it is worth it!)
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Heads up - I just saw Panegyric are reissuing the Starless boxset on 21st June 2019 if you've been looking for it. (It might take you the rest of the summer to listen to all of it. But it is worth it!)
    Are they planning on issuing the defective disc #23 so that reissue buyers can get the same experience we did?

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    While a lot of music, to be sure, when compared to the upcoming Heaven & Earth Box's 4.5 days (roughly) of unique material, the Starless Box is an EP
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    After getting through all of these mega-boxes from Crim, I feel this is the one to own if you must only choose one to own.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    After getting through all of these mega-boxes from Crim, I feel this is the one to own if you must only choose one to own.
    I'd say if you must only chose one, don't choose any. One is a gateway to at least one more.

I received the replacement Blu-Ray disk yesterday, from Bartosz in Poland! It works!
    The original info here is from 2017 - but a quick heads up to say that Bartosz in Poland is still responding to email & issuing replacements for the faulty disc 23 - so if you haven't done it yet, now may be a good time to ask for a replacement!

As mentioned above, info is on: https://www.dgmlive.com/news/disc-23...x-set%20-udate