Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obligatory "Bands For Rosfest 2015" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That is a perception, not a fact. My impression was that Nearfest went for the big dollar symph and prog bands, and RIO. ROSfest has not had a RIO band as far as I know.
    Yes, it's an impression. As I clearly stated. It is born out by the band selection though, for the most part...

Nice selection! Great wish list for me too, but it will be a wish list. George will never spend the money, unfortunately , for some of those bands. This fest has been going in a different direction the last three years or so. Too bad for me, but ok for others. I sure would like to come back to Rosfest. Hey, George, The Tangent and Magenta would do it!

That is a perception, not a fact. My impression was that Nearfest went for the big dollar symph and prog bands, and RIO. ROSfest has not had a RIO band as far as I know.
    nor a Fusion or Zuehl band either
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

A.C.T
    3rDegree
    Ad Astra
    The Twenty Committee
    Heliopolis
    Pinnick Gales Pridgen
    Kinetic Element
    Big Big Train

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    What do you catagorize Electric Asturias from 2013 as?

As much as I love fusion, I can live without it being at Rosfest.

that could be said about any style of Prog...

at a 'Symph only' festival, the devotees can live without Zuehl or Fusion or Canterbury or Spacerock or Avant or Metal. However, including a diverse lineup of all Prog styles will make for a better festival for *all* Prog fans, not just devotees of one style of Prog.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned

at a 'Symph only' festival, the devotees can live without Zuehl or Fusion or Canterbury or Spacerock or Avant or Metal. However, including a diverse lineup of all Prog styles will make for a better festival for *all* Prog fans, not just devotees of one style of Prog.
    I'm not going to comment on what is prog because it does not matter. I will just say I have yet to hear a Zuehl, Avant or modern Metal band that turned me on. However I'm not opposed to any style of prog which helps continue the success of RF.

Banned

I'd really like to see more psych-prog at RF.

Of those I've seen mentioned, I'd like to second nominations for:

Chrome Hoof
    Free Salamander Exhibit
    Haken

That's all I need to book a ticket, three solid bands. The rest could be various iterations of Justin Bieber for all I care!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

What festival is this you speak of that is symph only? Certainly not Rosfest. It's never been that. And I can't see how adding avant prog to Rosfest will make it better for those of us already going to the festival. Add more polarizing music to the mix and that will make fans happy? Nearfest and Progday had diverse lineups from the beginning. It was/is expected by those attending. Rosfest is already a successful prog festival, why blow it up and turn itself into something it's not? I like the idea of branching out a little more, and George has done just that. Recent years have seen bands like Discipline, Caravan, Pain of Salvation and Thank You Scientist. But Rosfest will never be another Nearfest or Progday, nor should it. It has it's own identity, which is not quite the narrow focus it's made out to be.

As much as I loved Nearfest -it became a huge part of my life, it's not the only model for what a prog festival should be. When it was cancelled in 2011, I thought Rosfest would be a major letdown as a substitution, but I just had to go to make up for the loss. And I was shocked how much I enjoyed it, to the point where in 2012 I HAD to go to both RF and NF. I guess it helps that while I liked some of the more adventurous bands that NF booked, I also still appreciated the more accessible, melodic prog that also was a big part of both fests. I don't turn my nose up at a band that does not try to re-invent the wheel with their take on the prog genre.

Very well stated. My feelings exactly. Don't change what isn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by CLOSE TO THE EDGE View Post
    Very well stated. My feelings exactly. Don't change what isn't broken.
    A minor tweak here and there is ok, a major overhaul causes things like the Nearfest 2011 cancellation.

What Prog Psych bands do you suggest?

Banned
    Dave 'Squids' Kerzner & Heather Findlay new band Mantra Vega w/ Dave Kilminster
    Many of you probably know Dave Kerzner - "Squids" on here, fantastic keyboardist, songwriter, producer, sound designer etc... played with Kevin Gilbert of course and more recently was a key part of Sound of Contact.

Mantra Vega

Psych-Prog
    Mahogany Frog
    Ozric Tentacles

we have a new album with Schnauser due in the Autumn, I would say they are possibly what you would call psych -Prog--

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    That is a perception, not a fact. My impression was that Nearfest went for the big dollar symph and prog bands, and RIO.
    We went for big headliners, yes, but not always symph. Just going by some of the headliners... Magma (Zeuhl), Gong (psych), Univers Zero (dark avant), IQ (neo), Liquid Tension Experiment (prog metal), Ozric Tentacles (space rock)... All not symph. Furthermore, our undercards ran an even wider gamut of styles - RIO, pop-prog, experimental, electronic, fusion, Canterbury, avant-garde, prog metal, symphonic, neo-prog....
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 05-16-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    We went for big headliners, yes, but not always symph. Just going by some of the headliners... Magma (Zeuhl), Univers Zero (dark avant), IQ (neo), Liquid Tension Experiment (prog metal), Ozric Tentacles (space rock)... All not symph. Furthermore, our undercards ran an even wider gamut of styles - RIO, pop-prog, experimental, electronic, fusion, Canterbury, avant-garde, prog metal, symphonic, neo-prog....
    "Yes, but I don't like any of that stuff, so it doesn't count!"

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Utopia for Friday night headliner..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    "Yes, but I don't like any of that stuff, so it doesn't count!"

for real!

there needs to be seperate festivals which are dominated by one specific style and perhaps some slight variations of that one style so that we dont have to put up with those other crappy styles of Prog music... or their fans

oops... forgot the

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    for real!

there needs to be seperate festivals which are dominated by one specific style and perhaps some slight variations of that one style so that we dont have to put up with those other crappy styles of Prog music... or their fans
    It's in Carmaux in France & it's wonderful.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    What Prog Psych bands do you suggest?
    Not sure who this question is for. I wouldn't suggest any as I don't think they would go over well. Well maybe Astra, I do really like them, and maybe the RF crowd would find them appealing. But they do crossover into symph territory now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Utopia for Friday night headliner..
    That would be a major score. I remember hoping that Utopia would be the NF replacement for Eloy back in 2012, when the original Utopia was an on-going concern. But I was happy with the 'U' band that we got.

I hope Todd does have future plans for Utopia in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Thinking Plague, Free Salamander Exhibit, Atomic Ape, Diablo Swing Orchestra.

A man can have a dream.

I'm guessing you have never been to Rosfest.

It seems inevitable to me that Big Big Train will play at some point.