Thread: No-man

Suspended

No-man

I see a lot of mention here of Porcupine Tree, but not of No-man, Steven Wilson's other main project. I was wondering what people think.

After being initially a bit put off by Tim Bowness' over-earnest vocal style, I have got used to it somewhat and now I rather enjoy some of their albums. I do know that for some people it's the vocals that stand between them and appreciation of No-man, and even now I sometimes find myself saying "Yes, Tim, I know you really really mean this from the heart, but no need to lay it on so thick." I have to be in the mood for No-man, it's not music to jive to, it is definitely music that you need to just relax and allow it to waft over you.

Favourite No-man album is probably Together We're Stranger. Mainly for this track:

Big fan of No-Man, actually. And yeah...Together We're Stranger is probably my personal fave as well. Such gorgeous atmosphere oozing out of that one.

I also really enjoy Schoolyard Ghosts and Returning Jesus. The earlier albums all have good/great tracks, although I don't often listen to them as consistently.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Tim is a fantastic vocalist in my opinion--his vocals on "Broken" on the Nick Magnus album are just sublime and I really love his earnest style.

I got into them due to Wilson, I have a bunch of their work, but i'm not huge fan of Bowness' vocal style honestly. I'd be a lot more into them otherwise.

I just happened to be listening to flowermouth when I first saw this thread!

Anyway, there was a period about a dozen years ago when I had discs by both no-man and Porcupine Tree and had no idea that the Steven Wilson on each were one in the same.

I'm a big David Sylvian fan and there is some similarity (at least to my ears) between his singing style and Tim's. So I find Tim's vocals to be the most appealing factor of the overall no-man sound.

If I had to choose one album of theirs over all the others I would have to go with returning jesus. For me,everything comes together so well with that one.
    Last edited by nsmith1002; 05-06-2014 at 07:09 PM.

If Steven Wilson was the singer I think this would be one of my favourite bands but having said that i've grown to appreciate Tim's vocals, in fact the song he guested on for White Willow was one of my favourites off of that album, plus the first Henry Fool record with him on vocals was very good as well.

My favourite No-Man is Together We're Stranger. The atmosphere is thick on that one, just a dream really. Returning Jesus and Schoolyard Ghosts are a notch below in my opinion but really good.
    Three other releases from them I really enjoy are Heaven Taste, All That You Are and Carolina Skeletons.
    And one last thing, it still blows me away that the great Ian Carr played trumpet on Returning Jesus.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I enjoy No-Man, too. I like the crooner-vibe of Tim for the most part. I guess he's coming out with a solo album that Steven mixed, so maybe that'll be as close as we get to a No-Man album, since Steven seems to only want to do his solo albums and mixes/remixes these days.

Their last 3 studio albums certainly go down easy. Wild Opera has some fun stuff on it, too.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    +1 for No-Man and Tim Bowness. Granted, his vocal style is an acquired taste ... but it works for me (at least on their mellow pieces ... which is to say: most of 'em). Always great for "chill" listening.

I got into them via Wilson as well. And I often prefer listening to No Man rather than PT. I love Tim's singing, it fits perfectly with the atmosphere. "Returning Jesus' is probably my fave but there's not a bad disc in the bunch.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I'll side with the majority of opinions expressed so far. Bowness' vocal style took awhile for me to appreciate but I've come to appreciate it. Everything in the No-Man discography from Returning Ghosts (try to find the deluxe edition, the extra tracks are great) onwards is quite wonderful. Tim has a new album due shortly; it's currently available as a pre-release at Burningshed.com. Steve Wilson was on production duty so it'll likely to be a close approximation to No-Man's more recent offerings.

Also worth checking are Bowness' collaborations with Peter Chilvers: the recent repress of California, Norfolk is more stripped down than No-Man but still gorgeous. Also, the Slow Electric disc is similar in mood to the last few No-Man releases.

Yes...got into No Man via Wilson.Wasn't a big fan of Bowness' vocals at first but he grows on you.Together We're Stranger is prob my all time fav.Next prob is Flowermouth then Heaven Taste. The whole atmosphere of T W Stranger is just incredible.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by skysaw View Post
    Also worth checking are Bowness' collaborations with Peter Chilvers: the recent repress of California, Norfolk is more stripped down than No-Man but still gorgeous. Also, the Slow Electric disc is similar in mood to the last few No-Man releases.
    Since you mention other projects that involve T-Bo, I'll put in a word for the album Talking With Strangers, by Judy Dyble. In case you don't know, she was the original singer for Fairport Convention; after she left, Sandy Denny was her replacement. I always recommend this album to people who like the musical style of No-man but have a problem with Tim's vocals.

Tim seems to have a thing about those initials TWS.

I've always appreciated how the group often dramatically changed their sound between releases. No two albums by them are quite alike (at least of their full-lengths - there are plenty of EP's/singles/compilations of their early work). I feel like Bowness mitigates some of the dryness that Wilson seems to bring to most of his projects. They're very good though I feel like individual tracks sometimes eclipse the albums ("Days in the Trees", "Painting Paradise", "Housewives Hooked on Heroin")
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com