Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Famous Prog Songs You Don't Like

Anything by the Flower Kings. Sorry, just don't get them.

The song section of Starless is one of the only things I can think of that I've never been 100% keen on. Love the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Class & Quality? View Post
    I love all of 'The Lamb' with the exception of It. It is such an anti-climactic song to end a monumental album IMO.
    I agree 100%

I love every single second of The Lamb, except for "it" which just sits there. A bummer, but the previous 90 minutes more than makes up for it!

Tarkus - cool beginning, then I lose interest.

Awaken - I like the organ solo, it's really good, one of Wakeman's finest moments. The rest is boring..particularly the guitar riff. Sort of TV advert music for Turkish airlines.

Karn Evil 9.

For that matter, most ELP.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Tarkus - cool beginning, then I lose interest.
    For me it's the other way around. Oh, I like Eruption, sometimes, I think it's a good display of the band's abilities. But it just sort of serves no real purpose. As a fanfare or overture, it doesn't really accomplish much except immediately draw your attention to the fact that you're listening to three of "those guys" (as Gene Simmons once described former Kiss guitarist Mark St. John).

I dunno it's hard to explain, I just think it's a bad way to start the piece. And it's one of the things that gave progressive rock a bad name in the minds of those who believe that there's no place in rock for virtuoso playing or "difficult" music or whatever. Then again, for those get off on listening to "virtuoso playing", I guess it's one of the best of the era. (shrug)

But once it calms down and starts to head into the Stone Of Years bit, that's where it becomes interesting to me, and in particular, it becomes very interesting on the live versions when they get to the Aquatarkus bit and Keith starts improvising. I really like his synth playing more than his organ or piano work. At least, I like his synth playing from the early 70's. Once he got that GX-1...well, you've heard me kvetch about that before, I don't need to on about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    Karn Evil 9.

For that matter, most ELP.
    yup...

Even more so Triumvirate...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.