Thread: Speech Recognition software- anyone here experienced with it?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Speech Recognition software- anyone here experienced with it?

Anyone here used Windows' built-in speech recognition to dictate to MS Word? I have Windows 7.

I was toying with the idea of getting my wife Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 12.0 so she can easily make dictations, but am wondering if perhaps the built-in Windows speech recognition would suffice. I haven't actually tried either one yet, but thought I'd try to get some opinions here first.

Of course, if there are other options that are better, I'd be happy to hear about them.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Or is there an iphone app that does this well? CTTOI, there must be something for the iphone...

No need for an app, you should have Siri staight on your Iphone. It does not reconized my in english but that is okay

I know it is something of a popular joke, but Siri is less than useless to me and my Glasgow accent.

Good speech recognition software is expensive - as it should build an algorithm based on your personal dictation inflections, patterns, accent and delivery - taking time to actually program the process within itself. Dragon is now tailored to healthcare, law, academics, etc . . .

jk

Sub'd to this thread to see what comes out of it.

I know speech recognition was supposed to be the new "killer app" some time ago. I doubted it, and it turns out I was right - because its practical application just doesn't suit the work environment, or even many home environments.

Still, I'll be curious to see (a) what you find out, and (b) what specific uses you think it can be applied to.
    Regards,

Duncan

We have had several disabled employees who have used Dragon Legal edition for daily work.
    They are pretty committed to the concept so they are familiar with the chores involved.
    The system must be trained to your voice and speech patterns. It does not take a long time to do this, but is the key to success.
    We have also had a couple of users who expect Star Trek out of the box.
    They are executives who may or may not had the patience to conform to the products requirements.
    One has stuck with it out of four.

I have followed speech recognition products for more than 20 years.
    They are a whole lot better, as computer processing power has rocketed.
    No more dedicated speech co-processor boards.
    They still require patience and persistence on the part of the operator.

I have not used siri, but I use the google version fairly often.
    I have been impressed with the accuracy, and frustrated with features of English that tend to trip up voice recognition systems.
    mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I have not used siri, but I use the google version fairly often.
    I have been impressed with the accuracy, and frustrated with features of English that tend to trip up voice recognition systems.
    mark
    I have the iPhone 5 and have gotten into the habit of speaking my texts and emails using the Siri technology (or at least what I assume is the Siri technology). I have had very good results so far. It even recognizes when you say words like "period", you mean the end of sentence. It's been useful so far.

I certainly see speech recognition tech and personal video conferencing (like Face Time) growing leaps and bounds in the next decade IMO.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Hey guys, you are giving me an idea! My emails and textos would be readable if I was using Siri in French and keybord in English. Right now, they are pretty ugly and never come out the way I want because I jump back and forth between French and English depending with who I speak with. I had to desable the auto correction as it was too messy and long for me. These new tools are very frustrating for me and I kind of loose interest using them. I now think I am wrong, it might not do all I want but I can adapt so it becomes easier for me.

davidkajones
    You can use automatic transcription softwares, first you need to train and synchronous your voice with softwares, and then you need to correct incorrectly transcribed words/phrases, punctuation/sentence breaks. To get accurate transcription better go for manual transcription services.