Thread: Crosby, Stills & Nash (& Young)

Suspended

Crosby, Stills & Nash (& Young)

I keep seeing references to the influence of these guys on various other musicians, their contributions to other people's records, etc. CSNY-style harmonies can be heard all over Porcupine Tree albums. Crosby and Nash featured on David Gilmour's "On an Island", the current feature CD. I think it's about time CSN&Y had their own thread.

I always liked them, but it's only in the past couple of years that I have really gone back into their catalogue and appreciated just how good they were. I now have the first three albums. They were one of the first "supergroups", if not THE first, and are arguably the most successful, certainly in an artistic sense.

From all accounts, the relationship between the four has been rocky; only Crosby and Nash appear to have remained good mates throughout. Listening to the albums though you would never know it. (A bit like Fleetwood Mac, I suppose.) I used to think that Nash was the most consistent writer, Young the one that showed flashes of brillance, and the others less so - but the more I listen, the more I find they seem to just complement one another, and produce something equal to about twice the sum of its parts.

The first eponymous album had the hits "Marrakesh Express" and "Suite Judy Blue-Eyes", and the second, Deja Vu, the well-known "Our House" and the classic cover of "Woodstock". Some of the lesser-known tracks, however, such as "Guinevere" (from the first album) and Neil Young's "Country Girl" trilogy (from Deja Vu) are equally outstanding. The third album, CSN, seemed to get a bit overlooked at the time - perhaps people were tiring of their sound - but it has some gems as well, notably the Nash-penned "Cathedral" which almost qualifies as an epic, and definitely has a proggy feel.By the time of this album they were starting to experiment with Hispanic or Brazilian influenced sounds - you hear it on songs like "Fair Game" and "Dark Star".

An odd coincidence: I order my CDs in the rack in alphabetical order of artist, and the CS&N eponymous album is right next to a Judy Collins compilation. She, of course, was the blue-eyed Judy to whom the suite was dedicated.

Crosby was the signature songwriter as far as I'm concerned. And Nash was 2nd... guess which solo pairing I like best?

I absolutely love the latest Crosby & Nash 2 CD affair. It's a few years old, but man, is there some great singing and songwriting on it! If I'm not mistaken, those two just harmonize by ear and they don't work out their parts in advance. It really sounds like no one else! The fact that they're up there in age is all the more astonishing given the quality of their voices.

Actually if you look back there have been some recent CSN(Y) threads fairly recently. I just saw them in concert about a month ago ago and posted a review here.

Anyway, I came a little late to the CSN camp, not really getting into them until “Daylight Again” came out, but then went back and explored their earlier stuff. I’ve seen them live 3 times over the years and have enjoyed most of what they do, although some of their 90’s era albums were pretty bad. That one with the Hot Dogs on the cover was terrible.

I also agree with your comments about the song “Cathedral”. Fantastic song and the best thing Graham Nash ever wrote.

I actually just finished Nash’s book last week. It is a good read. I have also read Crosby’s two books. Let’s just say, that guy has lead one hell of a life……

Yeah CSN(Y) threads pop up often. I only have the first two albums. Love 'em both.

Live it Up is the Hot Dog cover album. After the first couple of songs it improves but there is some weak material. Daylight Again was the last consistent album by CSN or CSNY. However, the new David Crosby album is excellent.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Crosby was the signature songwriter as far as I'm concerned. And Nash was 2nd... guess which solo pairing I like best?
    I agree, but that said, on the quartet's LPs the best songs IMO were always those written by Mr Young. They were always a bit edgier & they nicely off-set the sugary sweet hippydom that Crosby + Nash embodied and could never (& still can't ) break free from.

Some of the comments between songs & some of the lyrics by C + N on 4 Way Street for example are so naive! And while C + N were offering hippy dreams like Triad and Lee Shore and Teach Your Children & so on Young cut through the BS with strong political stuff like Southern Man and Ohio

With one exception: the best song on Deja Vu for me is Crosby's, Almost Cut My Hair. Fantastic bass on that! Followed by Young's 2 tracks.

Not particularly interested in Young, but the other three are among my favourites, alone and particularly together.

A word of praise for the live DVD from 2012. It shows the cracks in the voices (obviously) but far more importantly, it shows them still taking great pleasure and pride in their music. Stills is virtually deaf these days, and his harmonies are shot - but watch the encore of 'Suite Judy' when he hits a particularly challenging note. The look on his face and his comrades faces are beautiful things. Plus, his guitar in the whole show is white-hot.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    A word of praise for the live DVD from 2012. It shows the cracks in the voices (obviously) but far more importantly, it shows them still taking great pleasure and pride in their music. Stills is virtually deaf these days, and his harmonies are shot - but watch the encore of 'Suite Judy' when he hits a particularly challenging note. The look on his face and his comrades faces are beautiful things. Plus, his guitar in the whole show is white-hot.
    Agreed, the DVD is well worth checking out. Having just seen them a few weeks ago it pretty much represents their show today as well.

From what I understand Stills was suffering from some poor dental work and that was why he sounded like he had a mouth full of rocks. Did he sound better a few weeks ago? The CSN 2012 DVD is, indeed, quite good despite Stills vocal problems. His guitar playing was excellent. The bonus features are good too. Nash still has some fire!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Not particularly interested in Young, but the other three are among my favourites, alone and particularly together.
    I don't particularly dislike CSN, but any time Y gets involved with them I consider it him wasting valuable time he could be doing the good stuff (Crazy Horse, his Stray Gators works, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't particularly dislike CSN, but any time Y gets involved with them I consider it him wasting valuable time he could be doing the good stuff (Crazy Horse, his Stray Gators works, etc.)
    That's exactly my view as well. I've always been a huge NY fan, and listened to csn & csny as a biproduct of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    From what I understand Stills was suffering from some poor dental work and that was why he sounded like he had a mouth full of rocks. Did he sound better a few weeks ago? The CSN 2012 DVD is, indeed, quite good despite Stills vocal problems. His guitar playing was excellent. The bonus features are good too. Nash still has some fire!
    I would say Stills sounded about the same as on the DVD. “Mouthful of rocks” is a good way to describe how he talks (and sings) these days. I don’t know if he has something wrong with him or what but it is kind of weird as he did not talk like that when he was younger. It was kind of painful to hear on songs like “Southern Cross” (one of his greatest compositions IMO) but when he did more bluesy stuff, like “Treetop Flyer” he sounded pretty good. It is pretty amazing to me that Crosby’s voice has held up as well as it has considering all he has been through health wise.

Crosby's voice is amazingly strong. As I said earlier, his new album is excellent.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Crosby's voice is amazingly strong. As I said earlier, his new album is excellent.

Bill
    I understand his long-lost son (as was) who first teamed up with him for CPR is with him on this album as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I understand his long-lost son (as was) who first teamed up with him for CPR is with him on this album as well.
    Yes, he is also the touring keyboard player for CSN these days.

XLNT, I didn't know he had the CSN gig as well. I like his stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I don’t know if he has something wrong with him or what but it is kind of weird as he did not talk like that when he was younger.
    He's virtually deaf.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Kay & I just bought tix for their Ravinia show (Chicago).

Kay's never seen them and this will be the first time for me since August '69 at Yasgur's farm. A mere 45 years.

Have they gotten any better?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Kay's never seen them and this will be the first time for me since August '69 at Yasgur's farm. A mere 45 years.

I believe when they got up to perform at Woodstock they announced
    This is only the second time we've performed together in public... and we're scared shitless.
    or something like that. 45 years later, I imagine they have had time to get over their stage fright.

He's virtually deaf.

Ahh......I had heard he had some hearing issues, but did not realize it was that bad.

You will enjoy them I think.

and this will be the first time for me since August '69 at Yasgur's farm. A mere 45 years.

Well, personally I think they peaked in 1970 on the CSNY Deja Vu album. CSN in 77, while not as good as Deja Vu, was a very good album. But I think they should have called it a day then! It's been downhill ever since, nothing since CSN has been even remotely close in quality, and judging by some of the turkeys they've released since CSN in 77, (Live It Up, After The Storm, American Dream) you'd have thought they would have realised by now that they were already past their sell by date in 1978.

But I still love their music! Those harmonies, even on the turkeys, are still great!

Suspended
    I'm currently listening to a community radio programme called Woodstock Rock. They are playing Jefferson Airplane doing the CS&N song Wooden Ships - and gee, they do a fine job. I never knew that Paul Kantner co-wrote it with Crosby and Stills.

^^^^

Agree. They peaked with Four Way Street, then took a hiatus for several years. Their 3d studio album, although a huge seller, seemed to be a bit of a letdown. They put out a greatest hists album after only two studio albums. Nonetheless, I have all their stuff, as well as most of their solo efforts. Love the harmonies.

But I love Buffalo Springfield even more. The Byrds and Hollies, not quite as much.