Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strawbs

Strawbs

I think we can separate Strawbs in 4 eras. Early Strawbs – Strawbs 72-75 – Strawbs 76-77 – and recent Strawbs.
    I’m a big fan of Strawbs 72-75. Four albums. Heroes and Heroin and Ghost with John Hawken on Keyboard are my two favourites. I know they are still recording but I don’t know their late stuff.

That movie isn’t bad at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK9BH...yer_detailpage
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

One of my favorite bands, different phases, but songs that "work" in all of them

Lambert is really under rated IMO, a great player

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    I think we can separate Strawbs in 4 eras. Early Strawbs – Strawbs 72-75 – Strawbs 76-77 – and recent Strawbs.
    I’m a big fan of Strawbs 72-75. Four albums. Heroes and Heroin and Ghost with John Hawken on Keyboard are my two favourites. I know they are still recording but I don’t know their late stuff.

That movie isn’t bad at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK9BH...yer_detailpage
    I'd do another distinction in Strawbs' hisory, because their very early life (with Sandy and Claire Deniz) is fairly different from the Hooper-Wakeman-Hudson-Ford days as well
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    I’m a big fan of Strawbs 72-75.
    A great run of albums.
    I caught them on a bill with a KC in '73 and then again a couple of years ago with VdGG......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Banned
    I would like to hear a review of "Of A Time".

Great band...Love the Hooper, Hudson, Ford era...Witchwood and Grave New World are great , Bursting has a tremendous side 1, but imo stumbles half way into side 2

I like Dave Cousins in spurts, but I think the band overall is excellent. Cryptic nearly folk like storytelling.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

There's also the early bluegrass period, the brief period with Sandy Denny.

yeah "hero and heroine" is imo their best. seems to hold together better than the others; "ghosts" sounds similar to it .

meimjustalawnmower
    I like 'em. They're pretty good.

I've seen their Acoustic shows probably about 8 times over the last 10 years or so. Never get tired of it. The last 2 shows were the best ever and their harmonies spectacular. Check them out any time you can, while you still can.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

From the Witchwood is my favorite, then H & H and Bursting at the Seams, then Ghosts.

But there's much to love in all their phases, IMHO.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I'm pretty much a Wakeman/Weaver/Hudson/Ford era man myself... Curios & antiques, Witchwood and GNW...

Then disaster struck with the aptly-titled BATS... something went horribly wrong in the quest or conquest for America... While H&H and Ghosts are not nearly as bad, they were never the same (only Cousins was left in H&H >> the rest had all gone)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    BATS? What is this?

"Hummingbird" with Wakiepoos is DEAD BORING.

bats - bursting at the seams?

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    bats - bursting at the seams?
    Yup

It's not "aptly titled" "BATS," since that is not the title. Trane is just bringing teh funnie.

Aside from the auto-skip-it "Part of the Union" and the harmless throwaway "Thank You," it's a pretty damn solid album in my book. Not getting the hate for this album. Great stuff like "Lady Fuscia," "The Winter & The Summer," Tears & Pavane," etc. etc.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    It's not "aptly titled" "BATS," since that is not the title. Trane is just bringing teh funnie.

Aside from the auto-skip-it "Part of the Union" and the harmless throwaway "Thank You," it's a pretty damn solid album in my book. Not getting the hate for this album. Great stuff like "Lady Fuscia," "The Winter & The Summer," Tears & Pavane," etc. etc.
    That's not the album's title?? Geeeeezzz I'd have not guessed it
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb..._at_the_seams/

aside from the auto skip Lay Down (and a few others), the only slightly worthy track on that album is Tears/Pavane... IMHO, anyway

Even Winter/Summer and Down ByThe Sea are fillers in my book, when compard to the stuff that was on Witchwood.

it's a pretty damn solid album in my book. Not getting the hate for this album. Great stuff like "Lady Fuscia," "The Winter & The Summer," Tears & Pavane," etc. etc.
    This

Great album in my book

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Lino
    Ya, Love em! Listened to them a lot more in the past then I do now, But i never hesitate to catch them live, wether in trio or electric format. One of the singular best performances I ever saw from a band was my first Strawbs show in the very early 80's. Dave Cousins was a young man pocessed, brilliant and extremely powerfull performance at the legendary El Mocambo club in Toronto. Hero & Heroine is probably still my fave, but they all good in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Ya, Love em! Listened to them a lot more in the past then I do now, But i never hesitate to catch them live, wether in trio or electric format. One of the singular best performances I ever saw from a band was my first Strawbs show in the very early 80's. Dave Cousins was a young man pocessed, brilliant and extremely powerfull performance at the legendary El Mocambo club in Toronto. Hero & Heroine is probably still my fave, but they all good in that era.
    I read a quote from a critic that said that David Cousins was a poet born in the wrong century.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Agreed. All of their albums include an auto-skip or two; this one's no different. What's good is really good.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Banned
    What is the auto-skip in "Witchwood"?

The auto-skip refers to the song Part of the Union which is uncharacteristically bad which no self-respecting Strawbs fan can tollerate. Hence the auto-skip reference because we never want to hear it again.

I take that back. I just checked and Part of the Union isn't on From The Witchwood. Part of the Union is on Bursting at the Seams. I don't know what that reference is to.