Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Strawbs

These days I like my strawbs with peanut butter and whole grain bread(toasted if possible).

Seriously though for anyone who doesn't know they were originally called the Strawberry Hill boys but then shortened it to just Strawbs at some point.

Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-16-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Been spinning "Grave New World" in my car, and every time it finishes, I just let it start over and play again. It's just one of those albums, you know. Love this album in the cold weather, preferably under an overcast sky. I truly have to give this record a 10/10 just based on the amazing feeling I get when I'm hearing it.
    Pulled Grave New World out after reading your post, as it inspired me. Did a headphone session last night and you're right, it is a great album. It sort of takes you away to a different plane where the music is surreal. It's hard to explain.

Great band, one of my favorites. I was very pleased to see them live as acoustic trio.

Doing a bit of a Strawbs binge this week - truly a phenomenal band. I should own more than I do, and I know there are some gems I'm missing.

What are everybody's favorite Strawbs/Cousins albums besides the usual classics (Grave, Witchwood, Hero, Ghosts, Bursting, etc). Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Pulled Grave New World out after reading your post, as it inspired me. Did a headphone session last night and you're right, it is a great album. It sort of takes you away to a different plane where the music is surreal. It's hard to explain.
    Has their best song imo "Queen of Dreams."

I went ahead and grabbed some albums I have been missing from my Strawbs stash:

Dragonfly
    Of Antiques and Curios
    Ghosts
    Two Weeks Last Summer

I looked through my discs and I hope I already didn't have any of these All used from Clamazon for about $3-4 each (plus shipping). Dave Cousins is a true talent, so I'm in.

^Don't know if you have the debut but I've always rated it highly. 'The Man Who Called Himself Jesus', 'Pieces Of 79 and 15', 'Tell Me What You See', 'The Battle'...some of their best songs. I think an earlier version of the album was shelved or something (and has come out since), but in any case, what came out was a very strong statement of intent.

Funnily enough I never got into Dragonfly. I might have changed my mind now as I haven't played it for years, but I found it rather introspective and one-paced compared with the debut. Both of those were not remastered/reissued in the 90s with (most of) their other A&M albums, and I'm not sure why. It took until 2008 or so. There's also the early (demos?) work with Sandy Denny, some songs which both acts went on to record later are there.

My own favourites are that classic 1971-4 period. Grave New World is exceptional, one of the best song-cycle/concept albums etc. I have heard. I don't know anything much after Ghosts. As for the two hits, I like 'Lay Down', don't like 'Part Of The Union', an irritating novelty-like record that unfortunately seems to define them for some in the UK (a la 'All Around My Hat'!).
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-17-2016 at 06:52 AM.

I think "Grave New World" and "Ghosts" are their best albums. Surprisingly poignant at times.

^ From The Witchwood?

Just got Two Weeks Last summer in the mail. In the car today. Does Ricky lay it down on Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios or what? Still waiting for that one. I do know "Song of a Sad Little Girl", quite a tune, although I wonder is the girl just fine every morning its sunny only? We all know Britain is overcast constantly. Starts off pretty heartbreaking for sure. Has a real 60's-esque outro chorus that I dig!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Don't know if you have the debut but I've always rated it highly. 'The Man Who Called Himself Jesus', 'Pieces Of 79 and 15', 'Tell Me What You See', 'The Battle'...some of their best songs. I think an earlier version of the album was shelved or something (and has come out since), but in any case, what came out was a very strong statement of intent.

Funnily enough I never got into Dragonfly. I might have changed my mind now as I haven't played it for years, but I found it rather introspective and one-paced compared with the debut. Both of those were not remastered/reissued in the 90s with (most of) their other A&M albums, and I'm not sure why. It took until 2008 or so. There's also the early (demos?) work with Sandy Denny, some songs which both acts went on to record later are there.

My own favourites are that classic 1971-4 period. Grave New World is exceptional, one of the best song-cycle/concept albums etc. I have heard. I don't know anything much after Ghosts. As for the two hits, I like 'Lay Down', don't like 'Part Of The Union', an irritating novelty-like record that unfortunately seems to define them for some in the UK (a la 'All Around My Hat'!).
    Cheers - I'll grab the debut soon. I know a few tunes from the Halcyon set (stellar btw). Agreed on 'Grave' one of the best folky/proggish English albums ever.

BTW, where are you in Wales? We went last year - spent about 3 days in Conwy and travelled around Snowdonia and made it down to as far as Beddgelert. Totally insane scenery - imo some of the most gorgeous scenery I've seen in Europe. Loved it. I could easily do a month in Wales alone.

I enjoy all their 1960's and 1970's albums, but my favorite Strawbs era is probably 1976-1978 (Deep Cuts, Burning for You, and Deadlines). If you don't mind some radio-friendliness, there are some great songs on those albums.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    I enjoy all their 1960's and 1970's albums, but my favorite Strawbs era is probably 1976-1978 (Deep Cuts, Burning for You, and Deadlines). If you don't mind some radio-friendliness, there are some great songs on those albums.
    That era (1976–1978) is probably my least favorite of the Strawbs; however, those albums have some stellar numbers on them. Even the Dave Lambert cut "Heartbreaker" from Burning for You is one of favorite Strawbs tunes.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Stawbs are also an amazing live band!

Hero and Heroine being my favorite ..... although I had bought everything up to that point,. Hero seemed to represent some sort of change in their sound. At first you'd might be under the impression that they evolved into more "electric"....But no that wasn't quite true as maybe their step ahead sound came from developments on earlier albums like Grave New World and From The Witchwood.... or when they were recording with Rick Wakeman dating back to Dragonfly. ( I believe? These experiences and seasonings cemented a certain way and it's consistency gave them a new identity. Ghosts was another extension of that sound. In another lifetime I met Dave Cousins in a theatre. We had a nice conversation. Of course I was overwhelmed and nervous. I sold myself short . It was a great experience by Dave Cousins doing most of the talking. To me it was like standing with an icon of the 70's prog scene and I overreacted on the inside. We ended up conversing about Sandy Denny and that topic became most enjoyable. I was very young...Too much time has passed.. and I can't recall much. But I do remember him being a really interesting character. I was very impressed with Strawbs approach to the mellotron. Strangely enough, back in the 70's several road musicians would hear a tape of the Strawbs I'd play on the bus and they would respond...."Hey, that sounds like Genesis!" I would say..." What sounds like Genesis?" And they would say...."That guy singing sounds like Gabriel and listen to the keyboards and the chord changes!" I could never quite grasp the entirety of their theory. Maybe it was true or unintentional on the band's behalf. I saw Strawbs in a different light. From the moment you put a Strawbs album on... you knew they were going to take you to another place. A place that Genesis would not take you to. A place that In The Region Of The Summer Stars by The Enid felt distant from. And then it was clear that Strawbs had their own identity.

"Don't Say Goodbye" from one of music's worst years - 1987 - is surprisingly good.

Nice mini doc on Strawbs early days. If you know the photo they used in the gatefold of Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios with the band having a pint, you'll see the inside of this pub called The London Apprentice.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Jon Neudorf
    New album coming out December.

New album out! I got it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I went ahead and grabbed some albums I have been missing from my Strawbs stash:

Dragonfly
    Of Antiques and Curios
    Ghosts
    Two Weeks Last Summer

I looked through my discs and I hope I already didn't have any of these All used from Clamazon for about $3-4 each (plus shipping). Dave Cousins is a true talent, so I'm in.
    Wasn't TWLS listed as a Cousin's solo album?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Deadlines, doesn't seem to get a lot of luv. I really like it a lot.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    New album out! I got it this weekend.
    I think it's really good, the addition of Dave Bainbridge on both keys and writing credits has given the band a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I think it's really good, the addition of Dave Bainbridge on both keys and writing credits has given the band a boost.
    I agree, there seems to be more energy and variety than on the last few albums (Which also sounded quite poor.)

This has a good mix of proggy Strawbs, some excellent Cousins ballads and a quite groovy Dave Lambert song. The title track is one of Cousins' great 'story telling' tracks.

That video posted above was fascinating. My mum was a teenager during the sixties and used to see all the bands in those places. She saw a lot of them before they were famous and talking to quite a few of them!

Deep Cuts is the only real keeper here. Not that Burning for You is a dog or anything, but it’s not as strong as DC, that’s for sure. “Burning for Me” and “Barcarole” are for sure first-rate songs, though. I barely remember anything about Deadlines (mind you, I only heard it once, when I borrowed it from a local library).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I got the new one, too. Played it yesterday. Like that old advert for Larks Tongues in Aspic, I'll have to play twice before listening.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.