Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QUEENSRYCHE – feud resolved

QUEENSRYCHE – feud resolved

“amicable” sounds a tad euphemistic here.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundp...he-is-settled/

LMAO!

Of course he retains exclusive rights to perform O:M & O:M2 - he's been milking that cow his whole career!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

So does that mean the original Tate-less band can't perform any songs from OM or just that they can't perform the entire album as a production? That'll limit them some, but admittedly not a lot.

Of course, you gotta wonder how that went. "Yeah, Geoff, sure… we'll throw in exclusive rights to 'Dedicated to Chaos' too absolutely free."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

This is the scariest part of the article:

The singer has created a new, Seattle-only show, dubbed “Rock and Vaudeville,” that reinterprets the history of rock ‘n’ roll since the ‘50s, featuring songs by Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, AC/DC and other artists. A series of five shows are scheduled May 1-3 at the Triple Door
    They didn't address what will happen to this, ahem -- cd, as far as the band name is concerned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_Unknown

Of course, we must highlight this section about this release:

The album was produced and mixed by Slater, who sent the mixed recordings on February 28, 2013 to Maor Appelbaum to be mastered. Samples of all songs became available for streaming through iTunes and Amazon on March 13, 2013. However, a controversy surrounding the album's mixing arose, when Billy Sherwood announced that he would be re-mixing the album, saying that it "seems there are sonic issues with the previous versions". This message went viral, following which Deadline Music responded with the explanation that they decided to rectify the mix, because "some of the response has been less than positive. Some complained about the overall quality of the recordings, and in particular the mix." As a result, they hired Sherwood to remix the album, and explained that two separate versions of Frequency Unknown would be released: "Now fans will be able to decide which mix they feel best represents the album: the original mix, which will be released on April 23rd, or the new mix by Billy Sherwood that will be made available at a future date to be announced… WE REMIX, YOU DECIDE!" However, five days later he withdrew from mixing the album, citing scheduling issues.

That works for me. Let Tate and his pissy hissy fits go off with Mindcrime, his vaudeville act, and his declining voice. The rest can now work with a singer that won't spit on them or insist on vapid vanity projects. Maybe they can even coax DeGarmo to help write some new tunes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    So does that mean the original Tate-less band can't perform any songs from OM or just that they can't perform the entire album as a production?
    The latter. They'll still be performing Mindcrime songs in concert, just not the whole thing. I don't believe they have any desire to, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    This is the scariest part of the article:
    Here are the first fruits of Geoff's "rock 'n' vaudeville" show. Prepare to be horrified.

http://www.king5.com/new-day-northwe...248383061.html

I have seen Queensryche perhaps ten times and the most recent show with Todd singing was the best, entire band on fire and fantastic vocals. I drove from Michigan to Fl. For that show. Tate is playing five miles away next month...too far to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    The latter. They'll still be performing Mindcrime songs in concert, just not the whole thing. I don't believe they have any desire to, anyway.

Here are the first fruits of Geoff's "rock 'n' vaudeville" show. Prepare to be horrified.

YIKES!

The http://www.queensryche.com/ site was changed recently, with the billing now reading "Geoff Tate The Voice of Queensryche". Curiously, there is also now a link there for "Queensryche without Geoff Tate".

They were very much a 'gateway' band into the prog rock/metal world for me, and while O:M will always be their best album (imho), I did get to see it performed live (when Geoff still could sing) maybe 8 or so years ago, so if letting him have exclusive rights to it (in its entirety) is the stipulation that brings this unfortunate, drawn-out battle to an end, so be it.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Jesus H Christ on a biscuit!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTed View Post
    Jesus H Christ on a biscuit!
    nice wig though.

What's even weirder is that he kept it on for the whole of the interview afterwards!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Excuse me while I rinse my ears with the real Queensrÿche.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    No DeGarmo. No "real Queensryche."
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    YIKES!
    That is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen.......

Tater has totally lost it. I have to wonder what the heck happened to his mind...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    No DeGarmo. No "real Queensryche."
    They started to suck while he was still in the band. The self-titled with Todd is very good, easily the best thing they've done since Empire/Promised Land.

Well, they will never be the band they once were, but I'm glad the guys can carry on with Todd. I enjoyed the new self-titled album, and look forward to more new music from them. They don't need to do the full Mindcrime show again, it's been done enough times in the past (and it wouldn't be right without Tate anyway; of course it wouldn't be right with what Tate has become either).

Tate's vaudeville show is bizarre, and not in an interesting way. He really seems to be into just being weird these days, so let him get on with that. Noone needs to hear him struggling with pretty much every line of Mindcrime again...

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    They started to suck while he was still in the band. The self-titled with Todd is very good, easily the best thing they've done since Empire/Promised Land.
    I think they tried to adapt their sound due to being a metal band from Seattle in the wake of grunge and failed. Lots of hard rock/metal artists who came of age in the 80s tried to do "post grunge" and the results almost always sucked. Some bands managed to get back on track. Queensryche is one of those bands that NEVER got back on track. You can blame DeGarmo and you can blame Tate (especially easy since he really kinda sucks now), sure, but you also have to give those two guys credit for writing most of the band's major songs from Rage through Promised Land which is the still the main reason why there is any interest whatsoever in a band calling itself Queensryche. So I can't in all honesty look at either side of this dispute as especially legit no matter what agreement has been worked out even though the band with the name has a guy who sounds like young Tate and a record that sounds, on the surface, a lot like the old stuff. The real Queensryche has been dead for a long time and they are all just feeding off the corpse.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    You can blame DeGarmo and you can blame Tate (especially easy since he really kinda sucks now), sure, but you also have to give those two guys credit for writing most of the band's major songs from Rage through Promised Land
    Yes, but you can't overlook the fact that Geoff is largely responsible for things going really downhill after Chris left, and that Mike Wilton did write the music (lyrics: GT) for "Warning" (one of QR's best songs, period), "Deliverance," "Revolution Calling," and "The Needle Lies," and co-wrote others like "Walk In The Shadows" and "I Dream In Infrared."

Prior to Empire, Wilton and DeGarmo were pretty much 50/50 writers of the music. It was on Empire that Wilton started to be pushed out of the process, as they became less metal-oriented.

Prior to Empire, Wilton and DeGarmo were pretty much 50/50 writers of the music. It was on Empire that Wilton started to be pushed out of the process, as they became less metal-oriented.
    Yup. Wilton leaned toward heavier stuff, and DeGarmo gave us "Silent Lucidity," i.e. their answer to "Open Arms."

Article today from Pollstar regarding the Tate version of Queensryche: http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=811024

Oh, darn. He's not coming anywhere near PA.

Oh well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally