Thread: Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth tour 2014

Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth tour 2014

Saw the second performance of this tour in Manchester last night and was seriously impressed.
    I had nothing but praise for the re-recorded and extended version of the album when it got its release last year and the stage performance takes this even further with appropriate selections from "Return to..." added into the running order.
    There is no doubt in my mind that this tour is a career highpoint for Rick and anyone booked to see any of the remaining shows has a real treat in store. The sound quality was awesome with the orchestra and choir superbly balanced in the mix.
    I hope that one of the later shows (RAH?) will be recorded for release on Blu-ray/DVD and give us the chance to re-live this in 5.1 surround sound.
    The original album, which I've always enjoyed, is now in my opinion nothing more than a demo for what has since been developed.
    Congrats to Rick and all involved.

Fantastic,
    Nevertheless, first concert will be tomorrow....
    A great discovery to do, Tomorrow...

http://rickwakemansjourneytothecentreoftheearth.com/

Are you ok..???

Are you doing the stupid big deal or whatever related about...?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

are you doing the genius, you too?....lol

Seeing this on Friday in Nottingham.
    Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    are you doing the genius, you too?....lol
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ster-4-25-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Seeing this on Friday in Nottingham.
    Can't wait!
    Yes in Glasgow on Friday for me. Rick next Tuesday. What a week! (and I'm going to see Blood Ceremony on Sunday too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    Yes in Glasgow on Friday for me. Rick next Tuesday. What a week! (and I'm going to see Blood Ceremony on Sunday too!)
    Yes is the following Wednesday in Sheffield. Had my tix since last August, seems like an eternity!!!!

I have visions of the tour buses passing each other on the motorway with Ricks band moonings out the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    I have visions of the tour buses passing each other on the motorway with Ricks band moonings out the windows.
    I think Rick plays Sheffield City Hall the night before Yes. It's the venue he infamously ordered & ate a 'curry' on the TFTO tour

Seeing this on Wednesday at the RAH - can't wait!
    Tu veux un camembert?

I saw the original tour way back before some of you were even born. They have a few shows on Dime. I grabbed one but haven't had chance to listen to it yet.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Yes is the following Wednesday in Sheffield. Had my tix since last August, seems like an eternity!!!!
    Also going to Sheffield on Wed. Had my ticket since last week. Decided to leave it late to increase the chances that all the band and myself will still be breathing by then

This was a great show & exceeded my expectations!!!
    One minor quibble, what happened to the Roger Dean stage set that was advertised on the ads promoting the tour???

One minor quibble, what happened to the Roger Dean stage set that was advertised on the ads promoting the tour???
    Wakeman has talked about this: he hopes they will have a Dean set later, but the limited stage sizes of the venues booked meant it wasn't possible.

Whether there will be a later, I don't know. Wakeman talked of a 100 international dates, but after this UK leg, no further dates are currently being advertised.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not sure if I asked this already - has there been a properly packaged release of the new edition of the CD, or just the one in the cardboard sleeve from PROG?

Never considered Journey as Wakeman's crown achievement, in fact, I found this record boring back in times. Six Wives and King Arthur are much better albums, than Journey, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    has there been a properly packaged release of the new edition of the CD, or just the one in the cardboard sleeve from PROG?
    Not yet, but a properly packaged version (with various deluxe options etc.) is due in June.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Saw the Glasgow show last night, having caught Yes on Friday (good gig, as posted elsewhere) and I have to say this was magical. I still haven't come down from the high yet. Wonderful show and something I never thought I'd see. So 2014 is the year of gigs I never thought I'd see - this gig, Monty Python & Kate Bush. All I need now is the big Genesis reunion.................

Quote Originally Posted by martiprog View Post
    Saw the Glasgow show last night, having caught Yes on Friday (good gig, as posted elsewhere) and I have to say this was magical. I still haven't come down from the high yet. Wonderful show and something I never thought I'd see. So 2014 is the year of gigs I never thought I'd see - this gig, Monty Python & Kate Bush. All I need now is the big Genesis reunion.................
    I was at the Glasgow show last night as well and totally agree with your assessment. There were so many moments that had me covered in goosebumps having loved this album since I was 13 years old. I would also now agree with r2daft2's initial post about the new version of Journey...being the definitive version having now heard it live. The couple of tracks from "Return..." were a nice bonus as well.

Lucky you are...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Wakeman has talked about this: he hopes they will have a Dean set later, but the limited stage sizes of the venues booked meant it wasn't possible.

Whether there will be a later, I don't know. Wakeman talked of a 100 international dates, but after this UK leg, no further dates are currently being advertised.

Henry
    Wakeman is getting a bit into the Anderson school of talking about things that he wants to do, as if they are planned, and then the plans don't come to fruition. When I read of the full tour plans on Wakeman's site, where it was said that the tour would be international, I thought, "Great, maybe there will be some US dates."

With nothing being announced in the time since then, I'm a bit less convinced that there's going to be a larger tour going with this. But if I am proved wrong, I'll be happy.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Never considered Journey as Wakeman's crown achievement, in fact, I found this record boring back in times. Six Wives and King Arthur are much better albums, than Journey, if you ask me.
    Yes, I agree with you completely - but the new studio version issued with a special edition of Classic Rock magazine last year has actually changed my mind.
    I sincerely think it's much, much better than the original album, and I really enjoyed listening to it - much more than I thought I would!