Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Coldplay : Viva La Vida

FEATURED CD - Coldplay : Viva La Vida

Prog? Well - it was produced by Eno. Does that count?

Per Allmusic:
    When Coldplay sampled Kraftwerk on their third album, X&Y, it was a signifier for the British band, telegraphing their classicist good taste while signaling how they prefer the eternally hip to the truly adventurous; it was stylish window dressing for soft arena rock. Hiring Brian Eno to produce the bulk of their fourth album, Viva la Vida, is another matter entirely. Eno pushes them, not necessarily to experiment but rather to focus and refine, to not leave their comfort zone but to find some tremulous discomfort within it. In his hands, this most staid of bands looks to shake things up, albeit politely, but such good manners are so inherent to Coldplay's DNA that they remain courteous even when they experiment. With his big-budget production, Eno has a knack for amplifying an artist's personality, as he allows bands to be just as risky as they want to be -- which is quite a lot in the case of U2 and James and even Paul Simon, but not quite so much with Coldplay. And yet this gentle encouragement -- he's almost a kindly uncle giving his nephews permission to rummage through his study -- pays great dividends for Coldplay, as it winds up changing the specifics without altering the core. They wind up with the same self-styled grandiosity; they've just found a more interesting way to get to the same point.

Gone are Chris Martin's piano recitals and gone are the washes of meticulously majestic guitar, replaced by orchestrations of sound, sometimes literally consisting of strings but usually a tapestry of synthesizers, percussion, organs, electronics, and guitars that avoid playing riffs. Gone too are simpering schoolboy ballads like "Fix You," and along with them the soaring melodies designed to fill arenas. In fact, there are no insistent hooks to be found anywhere on Viva la Vida, and there are no clear singles in this collection of insinuatingly ingratiating songs. This reliance on elliptical melodies isn't off-putting -- alienation is alien to Coldplay -- and this is where Eno's guidance pays off, as he helps sculpt Viva la Vida to work as a musical whole, where there are long stretches of instrumentals and where only "Strawberry Swing," with its light, gently infectious melody and insistent rhythmic pulse, breaks from the album's appealingly meditative murk. Whatever iciness there is to the sound of Viva la Vida is warmed by Martin's voice, but the music is by design an heir to the earnest British art rock of '80s Peter Gabriel and U2 -- arty enough to convey sober intelligence without seeming snobby, the kind of album that deserves to take its title from Frida Kahlo and album art from Eugene Delacroix. That Delacroix painting depicts the French Revolution, so it does fit that Martin tones down his relentless self-obsession -- the songs aren't heavy on lyrics and some are shockingly written in character -- which is a development as welcome as the expanded sonic palette. Martin's refined writing topics may be outpaced by the band's guided adventure, but they're both indicative that Coldplay are desperate to not just strive for the title of great band -- a title they seem to believe that they're to the manor born -- but to actually burrow into the explorative work of creating music. And so the greatest thing Coldplay may have learned from Eno is his work ethic, as they demonstrate a focused concentration throughout this tight album -- it's only 47 minutes yet covers more ground than X&Y and arguably A Rush of Blood to the Head -- that turns Viva la Vida into something quietly satisfying.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/viva-l...s-mw0000787235

Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I tried to like it. Sorry, I couldn't come up with more but this was my first and only Coldplay CD.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Not an album I expected to see here.

A pass from me as well.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

no go
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Prog? Well - it was produced by Eno. Does that count?
    No.

Suspended
    This is an excellent album, prog or not.

I bought X&Y, on the strength of the singles I had heard. I feel that album would have made an excellent EP if they had just used the best 6 songs - as an album it's rather tiresome, too much of the same sound.

Viva la Vida was a huge leap forward. Each song has its own individuality, and the album has a nice flow to it. I'm not so keen on "Lost!", but that's the only low point for me. "Cemeteries of London" is wonderful; I'm sure that if Steven Wilson had written and recorded it, fans would be saying "Wow, that's one of this best songs". Yes they did a naughty thing and used a tune from Joe Satriani, but I believe that's now all sorted out in the courts.

Is it prog? Probably not, though the song "42" has some ideas that I would call progressive. If there is such a thing as a Progressivity Index I would put Viva la Vida on a par with, say, 90125.

Sadly, Coldplay's next album, Mylo Xyloto, had very little to take my interest, despite Eno again being involved.

Of course there are people who will always dismiss this album because it's Coldplay. Disliking an album is fine, but I hope people here judge it on its merits.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-23-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Not knowing that much about the band I'd like to see an intelligent discussion of this album and the accompanying Prospekt's March EP. I don't care if it's prog or not.

Prefer X&Y, which I find really good.

My wife likes this. I do not.

I think Coldplay writes incredibly simple pop songs with melodies that are used 1000 times before. They completely lack originality. Bland, boring pop music; not even Brian Eno can save this.

Of course this applies to the majority of pop bands but somehow Coldplay are considered an 'important rock group" by many. NO WAY they should be mentioned between the likes of The beatles, Pink Floyd, U2 and Radiohead.

I did give this one a fair listen- despite not liking the band too much- and didn't care for it, just the same old thing with more 'sonic textures'. This sort of stadium-rock, 'big music' of the kind Coldplay and indeed U2 make just doesn't really do it for me. I find it musically pedestrian and in Coldplay's case, they lean far too heavily on those lazy 'wo wo wo' choruses. Witness the title track of this one and that other song 'Paradise' (on the next album, I think...I never bought it!).
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-24-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post

Of course this applies to the majority of pop bands but somehow Coldplay are considered an 'important rock group" by many. NO WAY they should be mentioned between the likes of The beatles, Pink Floyd, U2 and Radiohead.
    It's an industry-pushed success IMHO. If you shout about how 'important' a band is loudly enough, a lot of people will hear that- I personally put U2 in that same category, although I do agree they are better than Coldplay.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of music that is fairly middle-of-the-road myself (see my post on the Foreigner thread!), but the 'important rock group' hype doesn't surround it.

Vida la Vida and Prospekt's March are my two favorite Coldplay releases. Something about the overall atmosphere hits me the right way every time. The closing tracks 'Death and All His Friends' and 'The Escapist' are probably my favorite Coldplay tracks, period.

It was through this album that I discovered Jon Hopkins, who created the synth intro and outtro. His version appears on his own album 'Insides' which I'd highly recommend:

I don't think Coldplay is prog at all, but I do think they try to add a touch of art rock to the mix.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

chalkpie
    I love this. Never heard it.

I think it's totally fine to talk about Coldplay in this forum. Sure, they're somewhat Radiohead-lite and the U2/Peter Gabriel comparisons work, but I'm happy that a band can champion art rock and be this successful. IMO they also follow in the footsteps of XTC and Tears for Fears -- both bands I don't love (well, XTC were pretty special) but whom I think have earned everything they've gotten.

Chris Martin is a melodic tune-smith and probably won't be content getting too experimental, but I get the feeling a lot of people's dislike for Coldplay has more to do with a sense that their success is undeserved as anything else.

As for this album, sure it's not exactly daring prog but there are plenty of prog bands out there trying to infuse more of a pop melodic sensibility into their material these days, from Transatlantic to The Pineapple Thief to Believe to Steven Wilson even. If they can learn a thing or two from albums like this that's fine with me.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Weak album, weak band, horrible vocalist.

I'd take Keane over Coldplay any day...
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    As for this album, sure it's not exactly daring prog but there are plenty of prog bands out there trying to infuse more of a pop melodic sensibility into their material these days, from Transatlantic to The Pineapple Thief to Believe to Steven Wilson even.
    I'm not too much of a Coldplay fan, but I'd actually rather listen to them day in day out than have to sit through a Transatlantic "epic" ever again.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post

Does that mean you like Keane? If so, what album(s) do you recommend?

I've heard some songs from Keane that I really liked, and some that I thought were woeful.

Great band! Not one weak album in their catalogue!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post

I don't agree with the first line, but I defenitly agree with the second.

For Viva la Vida, I prefer the In Extremo song with the same title.

My favorite track from this album is "Violet Hill".

Whenever I see Christ Martin, he reminds me of 'Goose' from Mad Max...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Whenever I see Christ Martin, he reminds me of 'Goose' from Mad Max...
    Maybe he has the same effect on Gwyneth Paltrow?
    They've split up, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    I don't care if it's prog or not.
    Because progressiveears is about prog.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    Because progressiveears is about prog.
    No. Progressiveears is about progressive 'rock' music, to which this "prog" adheres almost exclusively in a historical tense. 4/5 of "prog" is NOT progressive rock or hardly even a distant mimesis of such; it does not transcend or transgress, it does not create anew, it does not renew, it is not eclectic and it certainly sets no agenda for the current day's development in music.

Of course, the remaining 1/5 is what it's all about. Whether or not Coldplay sits among those, however...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Suspended
    ^^ The term "progressive rock" is indeed unfortunate. It was valid at the time it was coined, when music like Close to the Edge was definitely progressive. An album made in 2014 that sounded similar to Close To the Edge without new musical ideas would not be progressive, it would be derivative. It's one of a number of genres for which the name really does not describe the music. Something like "symphonic rock" or "classical/rock fusion" would be better. Unfortunately we seem to be stuck with "progressive/prog" as a genre.

Same applies to "pop". Most people think they know what they mean when they say "pop", until you pin them down and say "Were Led Zeppelin pop? Were Procol Harum pop?" Both had number one hits. Most people feel uncomfortable fitting procol harum into the same classification as justin bieber, but if "pop" refers to something about the music rather than simply being short for popular, I have yet to see a good definition of it.

Perhaps the worst label of all is "indie". What's that about? It seems that "indie" can sound like Enya or it can sound like Megadeth, it's a meaningless label. It would be like having a separate genre for bands where the lead singer has red hair.

I LOVE this album !! For a pop album, it definitely has some artsy touches. It might be the only album my wife and I, AND all of our kids, can enjoy. Actually, most Coldplay fits that category. The show we saw on the tour for Viva La Vida was terrific, very enjoyable for all of us.

Btw, how can an album with a song called "Yes" not be a prog album?

Oh, and thanks to Battema for cluing me in to Jon Hopkins, I had no idea that theme came from someone outside the band. I love the full track, so I'll have to add his album(s) to the wishlist. This is one of the things I love/hate most about PE...