Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD - Coldplay : Viva La Vida

Lame chick music. Still wondering why the attraction

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Chris Martin is a melodic tune-smith and probably won't be content getting too experimental, but I get the feeling a lot of people's dislike for Coldplay has more to do with a sense that their success is undeserved as anything else.

As for this album, sure it's not exactly daring prog but there are plenty of prog bands out there trying to infuse more of a pop melodic sensibility into their material these days, from Transatlantic to The Pineapple Thief to Believe to Steven Wilson even. If they can learn a thing or two from albums like this that's fine with me.
    +1

I always refer to Coldplay as "U2 for girls" and while that is a phrase that raises my wife's hackles, they have taken arena rock and lightened it significantly. Not as much as the insufferable Matchbox 20 or Maroon 5. I think Martin is far less cynical and calculating in creating listenable lite rock. And at least he didn't go in the direction of Arcade Fire and make a fucking disco album.

This is decent music and the last album was certainly progressive in spirit. Symph weenies get up in arms every time an album like this gets the Featured CD slot but jeez, symph hasn't progressed since the late 70s. Give it a break.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I resent what gets implied here about those of us who don't like a group like this that happens to be popular. It doesn't mean we only listen to 'symph'. It simply means we don't like Coldplay. No more, no less.

Suspended
    I don't have a problem with someone here saying they can't stand Coldplay. However I don't think comments like "lame chick music" are helpful. Is that supposed to mean that women are somehow inferior to men in musical appreciation department? I thought this was supposed to be about discussion of music, not gender-based slurring.

You knew it was coming.

You say 'gay' like it's a bad thing.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    They're ok enough. Martin is a good tunesmith. I like a dozen or so of their songs but find whole albums of theirs quite tedious, not unlike Marillion, The Pineapple Thief or (insert maudlin art-pop band here).