Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead vocalists' accents

Lead vocalists' accents

I just learned that this is Ginger Baker's voice

^^^^

Never heard Disraeli Gears?

I believe that is the fore-mentioned Mr. Baker banging on the skins as well. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I just learned that this is Ginger Baker's voice

Ohhhhhhh there we go.....! Been youtubing this material... Never heard of these guy's!

See I quit music... I mean I really quit... I sold the guitars, as my Prog attempts fell apart in 1980, 81, 82... I refused to play the top 40 crap... Bands became a joke going from making $1500 a night in 1979 to making $300 a night in 1983... The Music sucked... The bars sucked... I hated it.. I got out and just did the 9 to 5.... Worked my as off in construction... and etc. Hated Radio in the 80's....So Stopped listening to music completely .... Forgot I even ever liked music by the 90's, forgot I played music and had learned some Yes material by 2002, when I bought my First new car because I had a job and needed Diesel to make it worth traveling long distance each day... Was listening to talk radio, and books on tape. Lots of time in the car to kill... I did not even own a CD.... Although that car had a CD player in it... I stopped at a garage sale one night coming home from work, in 2004ish and on the table was a box of used CD's I bought Toys in the Attic... Breakfast In America... An essential part of a good breakfast for sure... and a CD from Chris Squire with him in this medieval helmet thing.... and the Fish in stained glass on the back. I new I owned and loves this album 30 years earlier but for the life of me I could not remember what it sounded like...

So on the way home I cranked it up... The first CD I had ever listened to... BTW... and I sat in my car in the driveway of my house, in the rain and ran through Silently falling for the fourth time...and Remembered I could sing Jon Andersons work... I swear I was like Rip Van Winkle... It all came flooding back. I woke up, began my second childhood. Bought a Bass and began teaching myself every Yes song I could find on bass. I learned I could mimic a bassist pretty well but there is a difference between a guitarist who plays bass... and an actual bassist, which I am NOT. Anyway I digress.... Point is I missed so much music.... ! I am finding so much.... like for the first time ... I am a true first time listener to material from the 80's and 90's etc..

I have a new group to patron..Love these guy's.... Love the Tea Song,! Too funny. Love that it's Ginger Baker...! Thanks for this. I am having fun. Seems like some more material for a show perhaps. I have some musicians gathered again and having great fun. That's all its about for me now anyway. Ya can't take making money in a band to seriously or it will burn you out and give you heartburn.

Randy
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    ^^^^

Never heard Disraeli Gears?
    I've heard 3 or 4 songs from it.

Last edited by davis; 04-24-2014 at 07:01 AM.

I didn't look at the videos so I'm not sure what this has to do with singers' accents but the thread caught my attention because I have noticed interesting things about singers' accents. Some are clearly affected and some are not. Mick Jagger, in particular, affects a very bad southern American accent most of the time which I have never appreciated. Bob Dylan does the same thing but much more effectively, in my opinion. Syd Barrett was very unique. Most English singers sound American to me but he sang with a very strong English accent. I have no reason to think that was an affectation. I can always tell his voice from Roger and Dave's.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    I didn't look at the videos so I'm not sure what this has to do with singers' accents but the thread caught my attention because I have noticed interesting things about singers' accents. Some are clearly affected and some are not. Mick Jagger, in particular, affects a very bad southern American accent most of the time which I have never appreciated. Bob Dylan does the same thing but much more effectively, in my opinion. Syd Barrett was very unique. Most English singers sound American to me but he sang with a very strong English accent. I have no reason to think that was an affectation. I can always tell his voice from Roger and Dave's.
    yep, Syd's voice was distinctive. Jagger's is about 1/2 baked. Actually I think this thread should have stayed in the oven another 30 minutes.

I always thought it was strange that many British singers sang with hick American accents (Rod Stewart anyone?). Then there are people like Steve Walsh, who HAS a hick American accent, but doesn't show in his singing. There are many examples of people with one accent who didn't sing that way (Gomer Pyle, for instance, whatever his real name was). Odd. I wonder why? Is it on purpose?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Ginger Baker 1968:

Sunrise On The Sufferbus is, AFAIK, the only Masters Of Reality album to feature Baker. They were a good band, with or without him.

Ginger Baker 2005:

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Of course it's on purpose. Many British singers in the sixties were told they'd never get a hit unless they sounded American.

Oh, and Jim Nabors? He didn't really sound like Gomer Pyle naturally.

this is the Gomer Pyle I like best

The Beatles of course grew up singing to the rock albums from Sun records, R&B and other American stuff... it clearly informed their singing accents because there's (little or) no Liverpool when they sing! I don't think they were told to do it, I think they did it naturally. And then you have neo-punk bands like Green Day and his ridiculous fake British accent.

When I think of lead vocalist's accents in prog I think of the non-English bands that often sing English lyrics...sometimes very successfully with little difference, sometimes with extreme results, but either way I always appreciate the effort! My favourites:

The early Eloy albums
    Pulsar's Halloween
    The 70's PFM albums
    And as far as non-prog goes, nothing beats Max Cavalera's Brazilian accent on the early Sepultura albums
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

German bands usually have a lot of trouble disguising a native accent when singing in English. Triumvirate, Scorpions... you can tell immediately where they're from.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Of course it's on purpose. Many British singers in the sixties were told they'd never get a hit unless they sounded American.

Oh, and Jim Nabors? He didn't really sound like Gomer Pyle naturally.
    He didn't sound like his singing voice, either.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I love some of the Japanese pop bands who sing 'Engrish' phonetically.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    German bands usually have a lot of trouble disguising a native accent when singing in English. Triumvirate, Scorpions... you can tell immediately where they're from.
    For the most part, I don't think they're even attempting to disguise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    For the most part, I don't think they're even attempting to disguise it.
    True.