Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tubes

The Tubes

Just ordered their first, Remote Control and Completion Backwards Principle.....Any Fans....

Great band, even if there were hideously cheesy moments on almost every album. I'd say those are the three to have. CBP takes a lot of heat for being a big David Foster production but I like it- it's actually one of their most consistent albums in terms of songs. Remote Control is good; it's the transition from over the top glam show band to a leaner rock hits band. I like the albums after CBP as well.

Caught them at the local community college way back around '79. Still one of the best, if not the best, shows I've ever seen.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Fee Waybill is a great singer! My top two are Remote Control and Completion Backwards Principle. Outside Inside has the great No, Not Again and Love Bomb is good, too! I like 'em a lot! They had a close relationship with Todd Rundgren and I saw them tour with him. That was a great show!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 04-21-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Saw them a few times at the Roxy in Los Angeles.

During one show, this gal in a trench coat came and sat at the empty table next to where I was sitting. Next thing I knew she took it off and was just wearing a g-string. Turns out she was part of the show!

That was a fun night.

I have just really discovered the Tubes in the last few years. Fee Waybill has become involved in a local summerstock theater company near here (The Barn in Allegan Michigan) and has starred in several productions over the past 5 years or so. He is a pretty good dramatic actor and singer which brought me to start exploring The Tubes. The only album I own is the live “Tubes World Tour”, which is good, but I got the chance to see them for the first time live about 3 years ago and they were great. The band also did a benefit show for The Barn the summer before last, but I had a conflict and could not go. I have become a fan, but back in the day they pretty much passed me by other than their hits.

The young and rich, the tubes and remote control are essential in my opinion. One of the truly great and horribly under-rated bands of all time I think.

Great band and I think Fee is one of rock's all time greatest singers. I need more of their stuff; I only have "Completion Backwards Principle" and "Outside Inside." I love them both! I used to play "Tip of My Tongue" in a band that had three horns; that was a blast!

Last edited by No Pride; 04-21-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Saw them at Bimbo's in '76, and several times since - their shows back in the mid-'70s were spectacles beyond belief; since then they've put on good, competent rock shows. Excellent songs performed and sung well. I gather there are only a few original members left though.

You picked the right albums to buy. "Young and Rich" would be the next one to get.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Caught their first NYC show back in...'76? at the...Beacon? Todd was sitting three rows behind us. Imagine this then-16- year old's delight when the topless, candle-bearing procession of beauties joined the show...the White Punks chorus iirrc. Good times indeed!

My favorites are the first 3 studio albums and the first live album.

The early recordings album was cool too. It had a bunch of stuff pre-first album.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Saw them at Bimbo's in '76, and several times since - their shows back in the mid-'70s were spectacles beyond belief; since then they've put on good, competent rock shows. Excellent songs performed and sung well. I gather there are only a few original members left though.
    I've seen them 3 times in the last 18 months or so. Four original guys left: Roger Steen, Prairie Prince, Fee & Rick Anderson. Still a fun show.

1st concert I ever saw...San Jose June '76. The 1st album (with White Punks on Dope) is a must have along with 1978's double live album "What do you Want from Live?" After that, albums get very uneven. In the 70's fantastic theatrics, great musicianship, and 2 keyboardists (Vince Welnick on piano who later played with the Grateful Dead) and Michael Cotton who played a massive modular synth on stage.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Saw them at the Orpheum in Boston around 1980 or so. Great show. I guess the venue was a bit too big for the candle-bearing beauties. I think the chick who appeared for "Don't Touch Me There" may have been wearing a see-through top. I want to believe she did but can't be sure. My date at time, the wife now, was not too impressed with the show.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

When anybody asks me " guess what" I always reply " a baby's arm holding an apple". It's a Tubes thing for my amusement.

^^^ Ummm ... you know that's actually a racist reference. That was said to be the size of a black man's dick.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

^^^ummm...that was funny if its true!

I remember (in the UK) the huge hype back in the late 70s of this band and their outrageous/depraved/disgusting (depending on which newspaper you read) stage show, and when they finally arrived it was all a bit "what's all the fuss about?".

In addition to the discs you purchased, I highly recommend owning the live album What Do You Want from Live.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post

During one show, this gal in a trench coat came and sat at the empty table next to where I was sitting. Next thing I knew she took it off and was just wearing a g-string. Turns out she was part of the show!

That was a fun night.
    Sounds like you experienced the sensational beauty of Re Styles. She is also featured in Mondo Bondage and a lot of other songs. I was very lucky to locate Live at The Greek on vhs,which I made into a dvdr. WoW! What a show that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post

That was a fun night.
    Sounds like you experienced the sensational beauty of Re Styles. She is also featured in Mondo Bondage and a lot of other songs. I was very lucky to locate Live at The Greek on vhs,which I made into a dvdr. WoW! What a show that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMC9KjDbQBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W6UkwN5mLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHCaswyW-Mo

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    In addition to the discs you purchased, I highly recommend owning the live album What Do You Want from Live.
    QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Was she the girl that got killed in a helicoptor accident or was it one of the other Tubes female singers? I get them mixed up, but it was a tragic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Was she the girl that got killed in a helicoptor accident or was it one of the other Tubes female singers? I get them mixed up, but it was a tragic thing.
    Never mind, I just found the answer to my own question. It was not Re Styles, but Jane Dornacker who died in the crash.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Just ordered their first, Remote Control and Completion Backwards Principle.....Any Fans....
    All great albums. I haven't heard "young and rich" or "NOW." Those seem to be out of print anyway. I've seen them live twice with a space of about 25 years in between the shows. Great band.