Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball 2012 Offseason - The Long Wait

Oh, you know what you did!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh, you know what you did!

But back to this trade, this is an absolute travesty one that just stinks of gutless slime and a smack in the face to the taxpayers of Florida, who are stuck paying for a stadium that lacks the proper public transportation and a park that even the mighty Giancarlo Stanton can hit a ball out of! MLB must take this team from Loria before he ruins another fan base.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

What Chuck said!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Ok - let's take as read what we think of Loria!

What do you think this trade does for the Blue Jays? & how do you see it affecting the AL East?

This is an absolute disgrace.

Jeff Loria can go to hell.
    You know I'm not the biggest baseball fan here, but this is such a joke. The fans got raped, end of discussion. I can see the team being sold or moving somewhere else. Now the city is left with a white elephant. Why they chose that locale is beyond me. I haven't even been near that new stadium. Last time I was there it was still the Orange Bowl (RIP).

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    What do you think this trade does for the Blue Jays? & how do you see it affecting the AL East?

I'll take the last part first. It's really too early to tell. There are lots of trades and free-agent signings yet to go. The Blue Jays may even flip a player or two out of their plunder. The only thing I see as certain is mediocrity from Boston, unless there are major changes, and they're now burdened with Toronto's old coaching staff.

For Toronto, now that they're finally acting like a large-market team again, it appears things are looking up. How far up? Hard to say. With the two new starters, the rotation looks solid. They're much improved in the middle infield with Reyes and Izturis, and possiblly in left if they use Bonifacio there. Again, however, there's much off-season left and I expect more player movement. Alex Anthopoulis can't restrain himself from shuffling the bullpen, for instance. There still isn't a coaching staff for whatever that means. I certainly hope they choose a manager with experience for a change. If not, that could have an effect. I would certainly expect Toronto in the thick of the wild card race (they couldn't possibly have the same injury problems this year, could they?)
    There's nowt so queer as folk

Curious to see if anyone had the sense to vote for Molina, the clear MVP on both sides of the plate

RE: Marlins - damn, the dude sure put one over. It would have completely kicked ass if Pujols has signed there last year and then got traded

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

The eons are closing
    What Chuck said!
    Yes...what Chuck said.

Really...Selig and his buds let this douche into their 'club' yet a owner known for his actual committment (in time and $$) to a sports franchise (read: Mark Cuban) cannot 'get in'.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The owners are pretty much afraid of Mark Cuban, he's too much of a rebel.

This trade is an atrocity for Marlins fans, just a kick the balls. But the owners and Selig don't have the will to do anything about this mess.

On the other hand, I'm sure that Geddy Lee is ecstatic about this trade.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Curious to see if anyone had the sense to vote for Molina, the clear MVP on both sides of the plate
    Dude, take off the Cardinal-colored glasses. He might be the 3rd best at his position in his league. He's nowhere near MVP.

Glad to see Cabrera win it. Definitely who I would have voted for. No doubt that Trout will win at least a couple before he hangs 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by saatuk View Post
    The only thing I see as certain is mediocrity from Boston, unless there are major changes, and they're now burdened with Toronto's old coaching staff.
    I think it's way too early to tell if Boston will be "mediocre". The Year of the Valentine will go down as one to forget and Boston also had quite a few injuries through most of the season. They were fielding a AAA club in the last month between the injuries and the Dodger dump.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

So are y'all ok with the MVP selections? The more I heard about how historic Trout's season was, the more I was favoring him for MVP. It should be exciting to see what that kid does with a full season.

Posey? No problem with that either.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

No problem at all with the MVP decisions - I think they got both correct.

He might be the 3rd best at his position in his league.
    Clearly you can make a case for Posey, but Ruiz?

Please

On a more positive note - these fucking kick ass!

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...a_new_look.php

I like the part he says that you don't mess with perfection

Exactly

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Clearly you can make a case for Posey, but Ruiz?

Please
    Dude, Ruiz kicks Molina's ass in just about every offensive category, adjusted for at-bats.

Dude, Ruiz [B][I]kicks Molina's ass.
    Right, and as JRoll proclaimed this afternoon, the Phillies are the team to beat and are still defending their championship from 3 years ago

Wow

BG

Congratulations to R. A. Dickey! Wow, what a year for this guy, huh? And he wants to stay a New York Met.

But, to continue their inscrutable ways, ownership is considering trading him. I know he will most likely not achieve what he did last season, but what a statement to the fans that would make if they re-hired him.

And, Bobby V. was not a good fit for Boston right from the start. I love listening to radio baseball talk during my daily work commute & Bobby V. was never accepted. In his defense, he was given a pile of doo doo expected to create a Pieta.

Right, and as JRoll proclaimed this afternoon, the Phillies are the team to beat and are still defending their championship from 3 years ago

Wow

BG

Don't really understand this comment.

You should know by now that I'm the first to criticize that pitiful excuse for a MLB team last year.

None of that changes the fact that Ruiz is by far a better catcher than Molina, and that Posey very deservedly just won the MVP.

Molina is 3rd best.

Don't really understand this comment.
    Well, I felt your Molina comment and JRolls were just about on equal footing

I think if you gave all 30 GM's the choice between the two to play for their team next year 30 would choose Yadi

"Adjusted for at-bats"

Wow

BG

Well, I felt your Molina comment and JRolls were just about on equal footing

I think if you gave all 30 GM's the choice between the two to play for their team next year 30 would choose Yadi

"Adjusted for at-bats"

Wow

BG

But....why?!!!!

His numbers pale in comparison to Ruiz's. What is it about Molina that makes you think he's better than Ruiz?

And adjusted for at bats is because Ruiz had just about as many HRs and RBIs as Molina in 130 less at bats! And a better average, and a much better OPS, and on and on.

Make your case!

Yadi's WAR is 6.7 to CR's 5.5

Yadi plays about 20 more games a year than CR over the past 6 years or so

Yadi is the best defensive catcher in the game

Yadi is the most important player on the team (MVP)

Yadi ended the Mutts run with his HR in 2006 in the NLCS, doing us all a favor

Yes, I'm quite sure that given the choice 30 out of 30 GM would see it my way

BG

Um.....okay.

One stat, and a bunch of subjective (very subjective) opinions.

Tell you what - you can keep Yadi and I'll keep Chooch. Then we're both happy.

Still really happy for young Buster Posey ... how many players have had such a roller coaster of a start to a career as he has? This guy is really something special... Also keep in mind, 2012 was really his first full season in the big leagues! His prime years are no doubt still ahead of him...

Also not surprised to see Melky get another shot. Interesting that the Blue Jays play the Giants next year in Interleague though ....
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I think the MVP choices were fine. And Trout won ROY, which was obviously much deserved.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.