Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ha! Rap coming from car next to mine - Annie Haslam singing!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Il Grandine Vento be illin, home slice.

Neither of these are much fun.
    Todd Rundgren - A Treatise On Cosmic Fire (from Initiation):

Todd Rundgren - Pulse (from Healing):

"Yo, yo, yo! If I were made of music
    This is what I'd be
    I'd be a symphony for life
    You'd never finish me muthaf*ckas!!"

Surprised this site hasn’t yet been linked:

http://www.whosampled.com/
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

So who here thinks all these rap artists are going out and buying prog records and who thinks it's the archivists or producers responsible for the prog samples?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis
    I'm also really looking forward to the forthcoming Asa album, which is based entirely on samples from Love Records catalogue, including a lot of stuff from Wigwam, Tasavallan Presidentti and other prog bands.
    Please let us know when it's out, 'cause I'd surely want to have a copy! I was given an Asa album for reviewing purposes a few years ago (it was called "Loppu-something", sorry I always struggled with Finnish language) and really enjoyed it. But I did not know anything at all about this artist and could not find any non-Finnish info on Google, so all I could do is describe my own impressions of the record in my review. I wrote that it sounds like some Finnish guy delivering his verses atop the instrumental tracks played by a good old Scandinavian folk-prog band a-la Piirpauke or Kebnekaise. With that it mind, I'd say the album that actually samples Love Records back catalog throughout is a logical next step, and I'm very much looking forward to it. The Isokyna Lindholm "teaser" track sounds nice too, although they were never my fave Love Records band of course.

I generally like all kinds of music, but the analogy of a pig borrowing lipstick comes to mind here

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    So who here thinks all these rap artists are going out and buying prog records and who thinks it's the archivists or producers responsible for the prog samples?
    The latter I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I'd say "eclectic" rather than "refined," but I take your point. I once read that Afrika Bambaataa cited Kraftwerk and Yellow Magic Orchestra as big influences, and that Sgt. Pepper was his favorite album. I suspect that most of these guys have pretty big ears.
    I know this post is old but that's not that strange is it? Lots of early hip-hop dudes were into Kraftwerk (and YMO by extension), Sgt. Pepper is likely millions of people's favorite album.

Neat to see Orbital mentioned in here, as I was big into Orbital way before I heard any prog really. I don't buy they necessarily ripped anything off but I definitely think they're big prog dudes as evidenced by albums like Snivilisation and In Sides (the latter of which is about as great a "modern day prog" album as there is, if you're willing to stretch your definition of prog...)

The one that really surprised me was Kanye sampling "Sing Swan Song" by Can - that blew my mind!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

As an extremely educated white guy from the upper middle class, I doubt a black rapper would know anything about music beyond Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Four.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

^^ don't bring race into this.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^^ don't bring race into this.
    You’re barking up the wrong tree, but OK.

As an extremely opinionated guy from the middle class, I doubt those fast mouthed talentless thugs from a lower class than mine would know anything about music beyond Funky Four Plus Two.

Better?
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    You’re barking up the wrong tree, but OK.

As an extremely opinionated guy from the middle class, I doubt those fast mouthed talentless thugs from a lower class than mine would know anything about music beyond Funky Four Plus Two.

Better?
    Yes, better, because now you can include rapper M & Ms. I hate him.

"So who here thinks all these rap artists are going out and buying prog records and who thinks it's the archivists or producers responsible for the prog samples?"

If I had to guess, I'd probably say the latter, more often. However, that doesn't mean it's always the case.
    There's a whole wave of young artists who aren't nauseated by the genre, the way their parents mostly are lol. My own son has been at it for many years (with only local notoriety at this point), and I've gotten to meet dozens and dozens of rappers and producers etc. as they have long congregated at my home. Most (not all), are just artsy kids , no different than any other artsy kid who is in to music, film, dance, etc... they dress funny and appreciate different genres of music and art. lol Might have been different in the old days, but not now that the genre has been around for 30+ years lol. I've met friends of my kid who are into classical music. One of his rappin buddies is in to Shpongle, Mars Volta, etc. Different day and age.

speaking of...here's my kid's latest video, just fyi.

https://youtu.be/uH_tJgKJ-C4

"Yo-yo-yo! I'm gonna use some fresh Deyss samples on my new album!"

Jefferson James
    I loved it when Dee Dee Ramone went thru his rapper phase. The dude went full-bore.

I was actually thinking the other day that I'd love to hear a genuine, angry rapper redo the rap from Rush's "Roll the Bones" just to hear how it sounds. I actually really like that rap, but I'd like to hear it in a pure rap state, maybe with some fresh beats behind it.

I couldn't embed this, but it's The Roots:

https://youtu.be/ojC0mg2hJCc
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

For whatever reason, The Roots have never clicked for me. Questlove is a damned fine groove drummer.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com