Thread: Supersister

Supersister

ok, I'm the last guy you thought would start a thread about this wacky band but I couldn't help it when I saw that their first album is so highly rated by the experts. The albums I had bought decades ago were not that impressive, but then it has been 30 years since I last heard them so I should revisit. Somewhere in a box I have all their albums on CDR from a trade a decade ago but I'm not able to access that box right now.

So, can someone who knows and loves them extoll the excellencies of this band for us all?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Well, I personally prefer the first two : Present From Nancy and To The Highe$t Bidder... Both of them are brilliant Canterbury-like rock, with plenty of goofiness... (much like their Belgian counterparts or Recreation or Kandahar, BTW)

I'm not that fond of their third Pudding & Gisteren (haven't bought the remastrer), but I'll definitely be in a minority.. You can definitely indulge in it, because it's very much in line with their first two... Why it doesn't click with me is beyong me, though.

Iskander is a bit out of their normal context (though I haven't heard it in 20 odd-years), it's a "serious" fusion affair (instrumental too), lacking their original goofiness... Iskander is Alexander The Great in Turkish, and the album describes his triumphant empire... It can be their most ambitious labum, but it doesn't hit the spot with me (Charlie Mariano and Pierre Moerlen guest on this album).

As for their final Spiral Staircase Sass, it's an hybrid under the Sweet Okay Supersister moniker (thus spelling SOS), sometimes considered as a solo album from Sacha VanGeest ... It's got a Zappa goofiness, but IMHO, it's substandard, despite the help of some Soft Machinists ... The vocals are odd too. I reallu must revisit it some day, but my library system's lost their copy

Buying the remasters will give you a few extra/bonus tracks, some of which were accessible on the Superstarshine compilation, others not... Most of them, you'll need if you're a Supesisterious (their live album from 10 years ago) dude.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I agree with Trane except that I would rate Pudding&Gisteren on par with the first two.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I agree with Trane except that I would rate Pudding&Gisteren on par with the first two.
    I would rate it even higher. The epic title track is worth the price of admission alone.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

one of my absolute favourites on our label. similar feel to Caravan I think in many ways except with maybe a bit more whackiness in parts. She was Naked is one of my favourite songs ever, Roberts a lovely guy too.

Ah, the skills of Hatfield, the humor of Gong, what's not to like? Trane's rundown is close enough to good, although he needs to re-evaluate Pudding & Gisteren, their best LP.l

Good band. Not a top favorite of mine, but I enjoy all their albums except Spiral Staircase. My favorite is actually Pudding & Gisteren, which I feel is more focused than the first two, with a bit less of the over the top silliness they are prone to. Sadly Judy Goes on Holiday is sort of spoiled by the silly and too-long ending, imo. But for me, the 20 minute title track of this album is a tour-de-force.

I also really like Iskander, which is also all instrumental and musically excellent, though it doesn't really have that "Supersister sound." A band worth exploring. Their stuff was all re-released on 2/1 CDs years ago. If those are still available, they are a bargain and a good way to get their music.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I also really like Iskander, which is also all instrumental
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane
    Iskander is a bit out of their normal context (though I haven't heard it in 20 odd-years), it's a "serious" fusion affair (instrumental too)
    Technically, the title track has whispered vocals... but it's essentially instrumental.

I liked them the first listen - which is rare for me. The first two albums are pretty damn good.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I would rate it even higher. The epic title track is worth the price of admission alone.
    Agreed.

For me it's the debut that never clicked. Thus, I would recommend the order of: Pudding, Highest, Nancy.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Thank you all for the insight.

I guess when I get that box out it will be Iskander that I gravitate toward
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had a good listen to the first two albums recently, and it hit me how very Canterbury they are. Great stuff!

Coming soon (October 4th): Boxset "Memories Are New" with 5 Supersister-CD's + bonus-CD with singles + Wow Live:
    http://www.udiscovermusic.nl/news/oe...4DHMViKPFVA.97
    (it's in Dutch, but I guess you get the pictures).

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Coming soon (October 4th): Boxset "Memories Are New" with 5 Supersister-CD's + bonus-CD with singles + Wow Live:
    http://www.udiscovermusic.nl/news/oe...4DHMViKPFVA.97
    (it's in Dutch, but I guess you get the pictures).
    Looks lovely! Maybe this will be a good way for me to get into the band.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Looks lovely! Maybe this will be a good way for me to get into the band.
    You absolutely need to get into this band. This is a band equal to Caravan and Hatfield and the North: chops, arrangements and charm! Those first 3 albums are sheer prog delight.