Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with a band Name

iPood

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Flonkus. I wanted to use it myself, but I've been outvoted.

Actually, depending on how long CP has been here Flonkus may require some clarification One of the old timers should step in lest I misspeak.

Actually, depending on how long CP has been here Flonkus may require some clarification One of the old timers should step in lest I misspeak.
    I am Confukused
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

As I understand it, Flonkus was a mildly derisive term here at PE for the type of Symphonic prog we generally grew up on that is now deemed to be not small-p progressing any more and mired in the past. A lot of us still play it though

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    The Organics
    Hammond Organics?

The Butt Spiders
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    [IMG]I honestly can't think of any time in my life when any one of those songs - especially "In a Goda Da Vida" - made some hot babe want to get up and wiggle her ass

I guess you weren't here when that vid of the hot chick stripping to "Roundabout" was posted.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

As I understand it, Flonkus was a mildly derisive term here at PE for the type of Symphonic prog we generally grew up on that is now deemed to be not small-p progressing any more and mired in the past. A lot of us still play it though

Hummm, well yes, I know speaking for myself almost all of the music I would love to reproduce, seems to have fallen into the tar pits, but that's true of almost all music eventually, is it not? (only exception seems to be elevator music and "The Blues")

And thanks, for explaining, I really am kind of out of touch with much of this site or any previous inside jokes. You guy's are funny though... And on rare occasions wise.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I guess you weren't here when that vid of the hot chick stripping to "Roundabout" was posted.
    Well that ought to secure this song in the permenant set lists. I know for a fact the band is into the vintage vibe for all the hot chicks we hope to draw. Of course with In A Gadda and the rest... the chicks will be in their 60's.... 70's. "Naked" after 50, is optional for me really. But its all good.

In The Garden Of Eden.... was one of the big dance tunes of the 60's and 70's. It was old school by the time I started playing back in 77... but even then you could start it up and the dance floor would fill everytime. We want to reproduce that sort of vibe... we will do some vintage stage effects and pass out flowers and acid... It'll be great.!
    Last edited by Classic Progressive; 04-18-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    from my experience, if a hot girl is stripping while a song like "Roundabout" is playing, she is stripping for reasons other than the music making her want to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post
    In The Garden Of Eden.... was one of the biggest dance tunes of the 60's and 70's. It was old school by the time I started playing back in 77... but even then you could start it up and the dance floor would fill everytime. We want to reproduce that sort of vibe... we will do some vintage stage effects and pass out flowers and acid... It'll be great.!
    Because of some of the other responses I got in this thread, I did ask some folks from that generation (particularly while gigging over the last few days) if Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was a big dance hit when it came out....The people that I talked to were almost all unanimous with their responses which was "It was a fairly popular song, but never a big dance song"

Perhaps some of you came from areas during that era that were different

Because of some of the other responses I got in this thread, I did ask some folks from that generation (particularly while gigging over the last few days) if Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was a big dance hit when it came out....The people that I talked to were almost all unanimous with their responses which was "It was a fairly popular song, but never a big dance song"

Perhaps some of you came from areas during that era that were different
    Different.... yes well, I'd hope so frankly. Sorry I thought this songs Dance beat was widely known and would never even be worth questioning? Sorry but I wish nor have time to find all the stories of how people loved to dance to this song with "Reckless Abandon". Anyone who experienced the 60's will tell you about this song. It was still a Hippie Dance tune on the 70's and I suppose it always will be. It still has a great dance beat.... I don't see how you can not see that as a musician. I know how it worked in the 70's.... have not played it since.

I will say its a Great choice as a dance tune to include. great Vintage hard rock as well... I am a bit baffeled anyone would not see it for what it is.
    But here's a couple of articles I found for what they are worth. And I hope someone with some knowledge of this era might chime in and tell us both what it was really like if either of us are wrong... In the meantime. Thanks for the advice on this song. It's on the list. And when you come to a show if you don't want to dance we won't make you.

http://nancycarol.squidoo.com/in-a-g...iron-butterfly This article has several mentions of the Dance Beat and undenyable grove that was hypnotic and almost Tribal.

In the meantime, assuming I am not done with this conversation.....everyone please help us find the Girl who strips to Roundabout. That way if "In The Garden Of Eden" does not go over well, we'll fire up the Yes tune and send her out in front...!

from my experience, if a hot girl is stripping while a song like "Roundabout" is playing, she is stripping for reasons other than the music making her want to do it
    Sorry, but again... coming from apparently a "different" area... You have experience with hot girls stripping to Roundabout...?

I mean, seriously, this is great.... but I can say sadly this has never happened to me.

Sorry, but again... coming from apparently a "different" area... You have experience with hot girls stripping to Roundabout...?

I mean, seriously, this is great.... but I can say sadly this has never happened to me.

Read my post again: I said with a song LIKE "Roundabout"......the point being: I have never seen prog make a girl want to dance -- exotic or otherwise, and - if one is - its because shes doing it with other reasons than the music

geeez................

And when you come to a show if you don't want to dance we won't make you.
    I play music for a living --- I'm the bass player/ synth bass player/ sequence programmer/ primary male vocalist in a female-fronted corporate/showband that specializes in dance music ...Hell, we do "The Wobble", "Electric Slide", "Cupid Shuffle", "Royals" by Lorde, etc as well as 70s and 80s funk and disco like "Boogie Oogie Oogie", "Drop The Bomb (On Me), etc ..........Artistic? No (IMO). Do I make a decent money? Yes. Do we pack the floors with dancers? Yes -- Well, we have to otherwise we wouldnt be able to command the money we do as a showband)....

Unfortunately, Art has never paid the bills for me.......... and I honestly know only a handful of females that like prog, let alone that would dance to it

In the meantime, assuming I am not done with this conversation.....everyone please help us find the Girl who strips to Roundabout. That way if "In The Garden Of Eden" does not go over well, we'll fire up the Yes tune and send her out in front...!
    I don't think she comes cheap but she'd be well worth the money.

All my band names get rejected usually, but here goes:
    Mongolian Yak Spleen
    Macho Nazi and the Buttersluts
    The Doorbell Went BONG

I play music for a living --- I'm the bass player/ synth bass player/ sequence programmer/ primary male vocalist in a female-fronted corporate/showband that specializes in dance music ...Hell, we do "The Wobble", "Electric Slide", "Cupid Shuffle", "Royals" by Lorde, etc as well as 70s and 80s funk and disco like "Boogie Oogie Oogie", "Drop The Bomb (On Me), etc ..........Artistic? No (IMO). Do I make a decent money? Yes. Do we pack the floors with dancers? Yes -- Well, we have to otherwise we wouldnt be able to command the money we do as a showband)....

Unfortunately, Art has never paid the bills for me.......... and I honestly know only a handful of females that like prog, let alone that would dance to it
    In A Gadda Da Vida is listed under Dance Music on some of the download sites. It is straight up ROCK music. No 7 counts... And the groove is undenyable. I am not debating that Roundabout is a risk... But Iron Butterfly is an early Dance monster. If you guy's have vintage stuff you should give it a run. You'll be a believer.

We have a nice Vintage Show going now, its not the Obvious, No Brainer, Dance Band Format. Believe me I understand there is good money in the type of wedding/corporate gig you got going. We are trying to do something more fun, and because of its vintage material and vibe we hope to get away with a few Prog songs... We are choosing well know pieces, and higher energy and speed. 4/4 when possible and so far its only two songs of this nature. I do not doubt we will have trouble with "art" as well. Christ knows I have tried to get to the tribute circuit, theater venue, ticket sales shows. It's a hard, expensive haul. I gave what I had to give to that end a while back. This is the next best thing I can think of that I want to get involved in. But we hope to draw some of the Hippies and perhaps if the show is good enough we can make some new believers. Some of the younger people have Never heard this stuff... It will be new to them.

Ever Wonder Why Mustang Sally has been around for so long and still packs a Dance Floor.... ? Some of these kids are hearing it for the First time... It's not like it's on the Radio.. They Dance to it even though it's as Old as their parents.. Dance Groove is Dance Groove. We are doing our damnedest to find a way to have some fun and play some music we like but sell it easier to the local clubs and etc. I was asking for help naming this crazy thing.

You seem to have gotten a total sliver in your ass about our band and its material a few minutes after I posted this. It's just a concept..And attempt to have some fun and find an audience. We are giving it a try. After playing so many "SAFE" songs, you should APPLAUD us... If we all played the set lists you play or if everyone played ours.... What would be the point of living....? if you see my point! I wish you well with the Electric Slide. You'll pay the bills. It will break my heart when I finally have to play it to do the same.
    Last edited by Classic Progressive; 04-18-2014 at 08:26 AM.

I don't think she comes cheap but she'd be well worth the money.

Hook me up brotha.... I'm passin the hat now...

I wanted "Dinosaur Games" but......... not
    Classic Jurassic
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    All my band names get rejected usually, but here goes:
    Mongolian Yak Spleen
    Macho Nazi and the Buttersluts
    The Doorbell Went BONG
    "BONG" that might work...... "BIG BONG and the BUTTERSLUTS"

you guy's are brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Classic Jurassic
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE DINOSAURS

Sloppy Seconds
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!