Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RTF - Romantic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wasn't a sequel to Romantic Warrior released? How come I can't find it now?

only on a prog forum....

mdr250.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Uh, no go on the sequel...

The final RTF studio album was Musicmagic from 1977, which was Chick and Stanley doing a sort of funky thing with a huge horn section and Chick's wife Gayle Moran on vocals. Most hate it, but a few of us intrepid folks love it.

I love Romantic Warrior as much as any of the other RTF albums, but it's a very different beast from the earlier ones.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    mmmmhhh!!!... hat I was laughing at is that JKL got confused (I think) with this DVD Rockumentory called Romantic Warrior (and its RIO sequel) with RTF's most celebrated album
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    mmmmhhh!!!... hat I was laughing at is that JKL got confused (I think) with this DVD Rockumentory called Romantic Warrior (and its RIO sequel) with RTF's most celebrated album
    That could be it!

There is no other track title that screams 80s neo-prog as much as Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant (Part I & Part II). Thankfully, it's actually kick-ass fusion.

Love that funky riff !
    Chick's work is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Romantic Warrior is an awesome record. Wore the grooves out on that one. Desert island material.
    Yeah, what he said !

One of my all-time favorites when it comes to instrument-seperation in the mix. you can focus on any one instrument and can clearly hear it all the way through the tune. LOVE IT.

I love this album.
    It is definitely standing right next to Prog.....and by that I mean "programmatic." Much of the music on this thing sounds almost like a soundtrack to some weird blaxploitation medieval Knights flick. You know what I mean?

Seriously, though, Chick has a fondness for these sorts of programmatic vignette-type pieces. This thing is way more through-composed and calculated than the earlier RTF albums. It's also less "jazzy." Thus, it gets lots of love from symphonic prog fans, and that's not a bad thing.

These days, though, I tend to listen to the compilation Return to the Seventh Galaxy, which has some live radio broadcast tracks from the transitional, Brasilian/acoustic-meets-rock-and-loud-guitars band. Don't get me wrong, I love all this stuff, and even Musicmagic, and even (gasp!) have soft spot fog Gayle's vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    These days, though, I tend to listen to the compilation Return to the Seventh Galaxy, which has some live radio broadcast tracks from the transitional, Brasilian/acoustic-meets-rock-and-loud-guitars band. Don't get me wrong, I love all this stuff, and even Musicmagic, and even (gasp!) have soft spot fog Gayle's vocals.
    Of course there are a million Chick solo albums from this era that follow the programmatic thread quite nicely-- Leprechaun, Secret Agent, Friends, Mad Hatter, etc....

Even if you don't get the charm of those albums, "My Spanish Heart" is essential.

I love this album.
    It is definitely standing right next to Prog.....and by that I mean "programmatic." Much of the music on this thing sounds almost like a soundtrack to some weird blaxploitation medieval Knights flick. You know what I mean?

Seriously, though, Chick has a fondness for these sorts of programmatic vignette-type pieces. This thing is way more through-composed and calculated than the earlier RTF albums. It's also less "jazzy." Thus, it gets lots of love from symphonic prog fans, and that's not a bad thing.

Nice post, and I'm in total agreement....., except for Gayle , I can't stand her.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Chick has a fondness for these sorts of programmatic vignette-type pieces. This thing is way more through-composed and calculated than the earlier RTF albums.
    and that of course, is the very difference between Symph and Fusion... without the programmatic element Symph doesn't exist. Without the improvisational element Fusion doesn't exist. Other than that, they are both experimentations with Rock music.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Nice post, and I'm in total agreement....., except for Gayle , I can't stand her.
    Me too... and me neither. She did a decent job playing keyboards for the Mahavishnu Orchestra Mk II, but her operatic vocals never worked for me.

But Chick is one of my all time favorite improvisers AND composers. I've heard some pretty weird stories about him as a person, but I don't care; the man is a genius! He's written all kinds of different stuff, from short-form jazz tunes to small and large ensemble classical pieces and the majority of all of it is brilliant imho.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    and me neither. She did a decent job playing keyboards for the Mahavishnu Orchestra Mk II, but her operatic vocals never worked for me.
    yup, that Gale is irritating on vocals.... But then again I was too fond either of Purim's vocals in RTF MkI either.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post

The final RTF studio album was Musicmagic from 1977, which was Chick and Stanley doing a sort of funky thing with a huge horn section and Chick's wife Gayle Moran on vocals. Most hate it, but a few of us intrepid folks love it.

I love Romantic Warrior as much as any of the other RTF albums, but it's a very different beast from the earlier ones.
    There's some extremely tasty Electric piano (Rhodes) work on Music Magic. A great album.