Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When <blank> comes on the radio, I change the channel

When <blank> comes on the radio, I change the channel

Prompted by a sub-topic in the Bored with Prog and Metal thread, I thought this would be fun. There are a few bands that merit an automatic channel change whenever one of their songs comes up on the radio. For me, those are, in order of distaste and channel changing reaction time:

Rolling Stones - Jaggers voice is like fingernails on the chalkboard to me. Immediate change, even if it's to the Soft Rock station.
    Springsteen - Another voice that gets on my nerves and the music is not that special.
    Police - I heard too much in my youth, sister was a huge fan.
    U2 - Every song is exactly the same, softLOUDsoftLOUD whining!
    Bob Seger - See Springsteen above. In fact, I often have trouble telling the two apart.
    Tom Petty - Easily recognizable but dreadful nonetheless.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

When radio comes on the radio...I turn it off.

I should also say that, due to my long standing policy of not listening to the radio, if any of the above came on the radio (assuming I was to choose to listen to the radio, which is unlikely) I wouldn't change the station. I wouldn't enjoy a lot of that music, but neither have I built up quite as much of a dislike over the years as some people have.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 04-15-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    THIS.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

My list is similar to yours, although I often will stick around for U2. I would also add Elton John and Billy Joel. Had a roommate in college that destroyed them for me - and I didn't like them much at first either.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    My list is similar to yours, although I often will stick around for U2. I would also add Elton John and Billy Joel. Had a roommate in college that destroyed them for me - and I didn't like them much at first either.
    Billy Joel is song by song for me. I grew up with Elton John and have developed a soft spot for him. Plus, to me all his songs are sing-a-long. In fact, I now have an earworm for Your Song.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Music on the radio... how quaint.

Anything post Wind & Wuthering that involves PC (both G and solo).

Just post what's yours, if interested & don't get indignant about mine.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Foghat.

All these posts are giving me earworms - unintended consequences ..... SLOW RIDE!

For the record, my car only has a radio so that is my steady diet, unfortunately. PS - it also has crank windows, now that's quaint.

Suspended
    With me it's particular songs, rather than artists or bands - unless the band happens to be AC/DC.

My number 1 station-changer is The Eagles - Hotel California. Now I think these guys did some very good songs, mostly early on; I have Desperado and still consider it a classic album, an almost perfect mixture of country, folk-rock and bluegrass. I can listen to that album all day. On the other hand, if I never hear that song Hotel California again for the rest of my life, it will be too soon. I hear those opening chords, and I am out of my chair like a bolt of lightning to hit the control button.

No. 2 is probably Another Brick In the Wall Part II. My admiration for The Floyd is well documented elsewhere, but I hate this song with a passion. The word "lame" was invented to describe that repeated chorus line. Yes yes Roger, we know you had a rotten time at school and you want to whine about it for the rest of your life, but get over it.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-15-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

I should also say that, due to my long standing policy of not listening to the radio, if any of the above came on the radio (assuming I was to choose to listen to the radio, which is unlikely) I wouldn't change the station. I wouldn't enjoy a lot of that music, but neither have I built up quite as much of a dislike over the years as some people have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    THIS.
    THIS +1

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    With me it's particular songs, rather than artists or bands - unless the band happens to be AC/DC.
    +1
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I never listen to music on the radio, only news and sports. (once in a blue moon, I'll listen to the classical station) If there was a station that had a playlist like the muzak station where I work, I definitely would. How strange that a bank plays great indie music for the college crowd, and none of the radio stations, including the college ones, ever do, with the exception of KEXP (univ of wa station) which throws in some cool stuff on occasion, but I live too far from seattle to pick that station up.

Suspended
    I begin to sense the need for a separate thread discussing the merits and demerits of radio.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    +1
    Why not just say "+673" and be done with it?

The only NYC area FM stations i listen to are WKCR(jazz/classical/world/blues/r&b/no prog/no rock,and WQXR(all classical).And WBGO(all sorts of music)

Been that way for many years now, don't foresee any change in that habit.
    Last edited by walt; 04-15-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Billy Joel. Not because I have anything against him personally. Not because he doesn't have talent--he does. In fact he is a little too good at writing a catchy tune, which then sticks in my head. And I don't like the songs. Even the few I was once able to tolerate. He ought to entitle his next song "Evil Earworm."

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia
    When radio comes on the radio...I turn it off
    Other day I paid 25 cents for a cassette of Jean Luc Ponty Live. Been listening to it in the car ever since. I have plenty of tapes to keep the radio off in the car. The one that gets me is waking up to the clock radio, which I do because I can't stand the alternative of a kardiac-killing klaxon alarm. If what awakens me is a commercial or a song I don't like, it sure gets me up fast. Although I am told the words I use while headed for the 'off' switch should not be the first words out of my mouth at daybreak.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Why not just say "+673" and be done with it?
    Because I'm just one person and can only speak for myself.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric
    I now have an earworm for Your Song.
    Thanks, Eric. Now I have it, too.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Come to think of it, I would certainly add those over-loud commercials as an automatic turn-off, too. And, I work in advertising!

I gave up listening to any rock/pop land-based radio in the late 90s. If we're not listening to CDs or satellite radio in the car, then it's on NPR stations.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Usually if I hear an announcer, or worse yet a 'zoo, morning team, * junkies, etc' I switch away.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Rap.

Or Bob Dylan.

I think Bob Dylan rapping would cause my internal organs to melt.

Haven't lstened to Rock radio since the mid '80's.....pretty sure I haven't missed anything even REMOTELY important.

Taylor Swift
    Nirvana
    Most Country
    Most modern rap/hip-hop
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    What is this 'radio' you speak of? Some archaic form of entertainment?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.